Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
maccam1

Tires offground

Just got to a campground,site is a little slopped,I have auto leveling. 2tires are off the ground.is this going to cause me any problem,or am I going to need to find some boards to rest the tires on.
Appreciate any answers
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Javi

Nope... you're good
Old 07-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
maccam1

Thought I would be ok,but just wanted some advice
Thanks
Javi
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Pull Toy

If it is the STARBOARD side.... the first step might be a big one!...

No problem, I use this feature to change tires. Lippert says no, but that is for liability denial. I've actually had all four in the air . Their old advertising used to brag about it, 'till the lawyers stepped in! LOL

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
Kylemcmahon1

My 2018 outback it says no. My dealer has repaired one tt in the last year where the jack broke free from the frame and went through the floor. To me. Why take a chance. I use the anderson levelers from my last camper the hit auto level. Never have to worry about anything
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:53 AM   #6
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylemcmahon1 View Post
My 2018 outback it says no. My dealer has repaired one tt in the last year where the jack broke free from the frame and went through the floor. To me. Why take a chance. I use the anderson levelers from my last camper the hit auto level. Never have to worry about anything
The whole point of having the auto level system is to not have to use blocks under the wheels. I recently read a post on here about leveling the camper side to side with blocks, then using the auto level. I can see placing blocks or pads under the leveling jacks if they are running out of stroke. Other than that, no need for piling a bunch of lumber under the wheels.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Ground control (electric) jacks seem to have less travel than the level up (hydraulic) ones. Putting blocks under the tires increases the length needed for the rear jacks to contact the ground and you may see “failure” more often. No need for blocks or anything under the tires, and jack failure is extremely rare.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
Canonman

If I'm more than 1/2 a bubble off side to side I use my "Tri-Leveler" to get things closer.
My opinion (I know, everyone's got one) is it's better to have the wheels supporting their fair share of the weight. That said, there have been circumstances where I've had one side wheels off the ground with no adverse effects.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Guyeser Sunset1 (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	17781  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:06 AM   #9
Bkvtx

love my Ground Control system, but for some reason I always have to recalibrate it which forces me to manually level it out (as manual as pushing buttons can be). Anyone else have issues with this?
Bkvtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #10
ChuckS

Personally I don’t
Like the idea of the Lippert gear supporting all that weight with tires off the ground.

You won’t be nearly as stable as if you had tires on ground. Also it’s putting a hell of a side load and stress on the system.

I have six point level up hydraulic system. I boondock a lot on forest lands. I’ve never lifted a tire off the ground and don’t intend to.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #11
Kylemcmahon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
The whole point of having the auto level system is to not have to use blocks under the wheels. I recently read a post on here about leveling the camper side to side with blocks, then using the auto level. I can see placing blocks or pads under the leveling jacks if they are running out of stroke. Other than that, no need for piling a bunch of lumber under the wheels.

I am just giving you real world example. I have seen the damage in person if the jack breaks loose from the frame. And since they all say do not lift the tires off the ground. It becomes your problem if it breaks loose when the tires are off the ground. Like I said if it is far off I use Anderson levelers quick easy get it close by eye then use auto level.
Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
travelin texans

Mine sat on nothing but the levelers, no wheels/tires on it, while we were in it, for 4 days waiting on brake parts, it was as steady as with the wheels on it. The hydraulic levelers are rated at far more weight than they'll ever have to support.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
fmitzen

I use leveling blocks under the tires to get it about level then use the auto level with blocks under the jacks to shorten the stroke,it helps stabilization
fmitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #14
AbHDToyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmitzen View Post
I use leveling blocks under the tires to get it about level then use the auto level with blocks under the jacks to shorten the stroke,it helps stabilization
Seems like washing the dishes before putting them in the Dishwasher? LOL
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
fmitzen

You do it your way, . I'll do it mine.
fmitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #16
CaptnJohn

I have never had wheels off the ground except when new. I took it to the tire dealer and had 4 Sailuns installed (plus the spare). Instead of jacking each side Ground Control 3.0 was used, well the rear jacks anyway.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
larryflew

6 jack hydraulic level up. Have had one side off the ground many times camping and all 4 off the ground while Lippert service rep waited for a replacement part for 5 days. Have used the jacks for 5 tire changes at different time all on a 16,000 pound 5th wheel. Probably leveled several hundred times. No problems related to the jacks but did have one board die a month after they where installed which was sent to me next day air.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
travelin texans

If you get both wheels off the ground it is possible for the shackles in the middle to invert & once weight gets back on them will POP back into place & scare the crap out you when it does.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #19
cenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
6 jack hydraulic level up. Have had one side off the ground many times camping and all 4 off the ground while Lippert service rep waited for a replacement part for 5 days. Have used the jacks for 5 tire changes at different time all on a 16,000 pound 5th wheel. Probably leveled several hundred times. No problems related to the jacks but did have one board die a month after they where installed which was sent to me next day air.
Is there an override mode? I have to be significantly out of level before the system in manual mode will allow me to get off one side of tires. There is no way that I would get all 4 off. On flat ground I have to drive one side on wood before I can get the other side off the ground for a tire change.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:40 PM   #20
JFCANMT

The tech who did the walk around with me said to avoid getting both wheels off the ground because the center shackles can get inverted and you will have a heck of a time getting them back in the correct orientation. My brother had the happen to him on his triple axle Raptor and confirmed you want to avoid lifting all wheels on one side off the ground. I imagine it doesn’t always happen, but for me it’s not worth the hassle of dealing with.

2016 RAM 3500 SRW 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
JFCANMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires