Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 04:44 AM   #1
Kojak

Anderson Hitch vs Pullrite Superlite

Any thoughts on these two fifth wheel hitches? I currently own a Curtis 24K on a Ram 3500 factory pick system but its getting to be a pain in the *** when I want to remove it so I’m looking for something light weight. I can’t decide between the Anderson hitch or the Pullrite Superlite. Any thoughts?
Kojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #2
Canonman

I can only speak for the Anderson. It has worked well for us. No issues what so ever. Plus, their customer service folks are great. They answer the phone and have always taken the time to help with any questions. I'd be happy to provide details if needed.
Anderson was first to market with their design. The Pullrite model came along much later. That means there are many more of the Anderson's installed and in use. NO noise, no chucking, no problems.
Finally, the idea of being able to easily remove the hitch so the truck bed is fully available for regular use works exactly as advertised. No Problem! You simply loosen three bolts pull a pin and lift the whole hitch out. 5 minutes tops. By yourself.
Bottom line: 100% satisfied!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL2572.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	19002  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I have seen both in person, don't have a preference. The pull rite will mount to the puck system but the Anderson requires the ball.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
idcruiserman

Loved the Andersen, especially since it's from Idaho ��. No experience with the other one.
idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Getn off

No experience with these two, but I wanted a lighter option to remove when not used. I went with the Demco 21k. Absolutely love it. Top weighs about 50, and the base around 75. Easy to use, and fairly light.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #6
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have seen both in person, don't have a preference. The pull rite will mount to the puck system but the Anderson requires the ball.
The puck system is extremely heavy 2 part system , I think Chevy and dodge interchange ball for Anderson hitch maybe the puck system as well.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
The puck system is extremely heavy 2 part system , I think Chevy and dodge interchange ball for Anderson hitch maybe the puck system as well.
We have installed the puck system in lots of new trucks that didn’t have the factory system. It’s essentially 4 holes in the bed that the hitch sets into. The Pull Rite used these 4 holes to “mount” the hitch. The gooseneck version uses a 4” hole in the center of the bed just forward of the rear axle. Often times it’s the B&W “turn ball”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
roadglide

Quote:
We have installed the puck system in lots of new trucks that didn’t have the factory system. It’s essentially 4 holes in the bed that the hitch sets into. The Pull Rite used these 4 holes to “mount” the hitch. The gooseneck version uses a 4” hole in the center of the bed just forward of the rear axle. Often times it’s the B&W “turn ball”.
the wheel roller adapter is heavy and goes into the puck system . I have the factory installed system you mention. I had to Google that appartus made by curt.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
the wheel roller adapter is heavy and goes into the puck system . I have the factory installed system you mention. I had to Google that appartus made by curt.
I think your talking about the Pull Rite super GLIDE auto slider. The OP is asking about the Pull RIte super LITE.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
roadglide

Quote:
I think your talking about the Pull Rite super GLIDE auto slider. The OP is asking about the Pull RIte super LITE.
I cant find any Anderson except the ultimate hitch and tow bars. I think he is talking about the ball king pin and pull rite lite hitch . Wheely roller adapter from curt sets into the puck system.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:32 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I cant find any Anderson except the ultimate hitch and tow bars. I think he is talking about the ball king pin and pull rite lite hitch . Wheely roller adapter from curt sets into the puck system.
Not Anderson. Pull Rite

http://www.pullrite.com/products/superlite-series

Old 10-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #12
KOZKO

ANDERSEN! I never have any issues or noises, etc.

2018 Laredo 340FL
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins Diesel (6’4” bed)
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
B&W Turnoverball
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
KOZKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #13
RoscoeV

I have the Anderson Ultimate hitch and Love it. It's very quiet, can easily be removed from the truck bed, weights ~39 lbs, and very easy to hitch and unhitch the 5er.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #14
gearhead

I've got the PullRite SuperLite and really like it. I switched from a Curt Q20 with factory puck. I considered the Andersen, but I got a pretty good deal on the PullRite. If I remember it was at least $100 cheaper than Andersen. It is easy to remove by myself. But it is about 10-15 pounds heavier than Andersen. My perception is that the PullRite has a smaller "footprint" in the truck bed. It is steel vs. aluminum of the Andersen. They both work the same but are opposite in that the PullRite has the ball on the 5th pinbox and Andersen has the ball in the truck. The Andersen has a cable operated release that you will have to attach to the underside of the 5th, the PullRite release is in the truck bed and is operated with a supplied hook.
Either one would be an improvement over the conventional type hitch. Both should be equally easier to hitch up to and to unhook.
Edit add: If you have anything other than the bare bones pin on the 5th you should check with both manufacturers to be sure their hitch is compatible. It seems PullRite required a certain brand of pin hitch to be "locked down". That may have been a MoreRyde slider. I have a 5thAirborne and it works fine.
If you have the factory puck system you just need to buy a gooseneck ball and you're good to go.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #15
Kojak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I've got the PullRite SuperLite and really like it. I switched from a Curt Q20 with factory puck. I considered the Andersen, but I got a pretty good deal on the PullRite. If I remember it was at least $100 cheaper than Andersen. It is easy to remove by myself. But it is about 10-15 pounds heavier than Andersen. My perception is that the PullRite has a smaller "footprint" in the truck bed. It is steel vs. aluminum of the Andersen. They both work the same but are opposite in that the PullRite has the ball on the 5th pinbox and Andersen has the ball in the truck. The Andersen has a cable operated release that you will have to attach to the underside of the 5th, the PullRite release is in the truck bed and is operated with a supplied hook.
Either one would be an improvement over the conventional type hitch. Both should be equally easier to hitch up to and to unhook.
Edit add: If you have anything other than the bare bones pin on the 5th you should check with both manufacturers to be sure their hitch is compatible. It seems PullRite required a certain brand of pin hitch to be "locked down". That may have been a MoreRyde slider. I have a 5thAirborne and it works fine.
If you have the factory puck system you just need to buy a gooseneck ball and you're good to go.
I currently have the Curt 24K. No issues with the ride but it is a pain to get in and out by myself. I plan on using the single point connection since my truck came with the factory pick system. I called Pullrite yesterday but I guess I do have to by the ball connection that goes in the bed separately. I’m liking the smaller footprint of the Pullrite.
Kojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #16
gearhead

Yeah, you will have to buy the gooseneck ball with either PullRite or Andersen, so that's a wash. I think I bought a Curt ball off Amazon.
You might check Tweetys RV parts for their price, and maybe Amazon.
I bought a engine puller from Harbor Freight to get my Curt in and out. Total pain in the rear.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #17
PKONolan

Anderson No Sway

I have been using an Anderson No-Sway with an adjustable drop hitch to tow a Keystone Passport 2400BH behind a Toyota Tacoma 4 Door (yes, a half ton six cylinder) with load rating E tires and a Toytec Add-a-Leaf 2.5 inch lift in back with a comparable lift in front. The total camper weight, as pulled is around 5,500 pounds. The Anderson works like a charm even when I have been buffeted by side winds that outflow from our summer storms here. It is very easy to set up and install each time. Furthermore, you don’t have to remove it to back into a space.

It has a milled aluminum housing and ball which makes it pretty light. The ball rides on a brake material that helps minimize sway (and the chains provide weight distribution and sway control). Don’t let the aluminum ball sway your decision, though. It is an incredibly strong alloy which is corrosion proof and the ball turns with the trailer hitch (inside the braking material) so there is zero abrasion to the surface of the ball.

The ease of adjustability is my favorite feature. My trailer and truck are so well lined up, a side shot on level ground makes them look as if they are one unit. And as others have said, Anderson has the best customer service in the business.

The one draw back is you have to back your unit in at approximately the same angle that it was when you uncoupled since the chain bracket needs to be close to perpendicular to the trailer to get the chains to reach and there is no way you are moving the bracket by hand because the ball friction in the braking material is pretty intense. However, you can move it a little with the bolts and nuts on the chains so, if you raise up the trailer jack after attaching it to the ball so that the distance is reduced, even if you just catch a few threads on the short side of the chains, you can crank it into alignment with the socket. With a quick mental note of what angle I am at before I uncouple, I always hit it on the first try. Only the first few times using it did I need a couple shots.

I’m very glad I opted for this fairly new technology 4 years ago. The braking material is also warranteed for life (as is the whole hitch, I believe). I haven’t had to replace mine but I have checked it a couple times. I just turn the hitch upside down in the receiver, take the lock ring out and tap the ball out with a small sledge hammer hitting a 2x4 on the backside of the ball with a shipping blanket on the ground to protect the ball from damage.
PKONolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

PKONolan: the OP is asking about 5Th wheel hitches not bumper pull.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #19
Dieselpump

I own the BW 5th wheel hitch and I love it. Easy to put in the truck and easy to remove. It will also work with the Puck system.
Dieselpump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:33 AM   #20
alpo

I will be upgrading to a 5th wheel in the future and one of these seems to way to go to save Pin Weight. However Only having an “uneducated” opinion I would think that a 4 point attachment (PullRight using the Factory Puck System) would possibly be more solid and stronger than the Single point attachment (Anderson using the Bed Hitch Ball). When reviewing the Anderson instructions the Hitch is “Torqued” down onto the Bed Ball which in turn presses the Hitch Frame down onto the Bed of the Truck. Does anyone else see how this might be less strong that using the Pucks, or how the Frame might do some damage to the Surface of the Bed while towing with the radial and axial forces being exerted on the Anderson Hitch Frame being transmitted down through the outer edges of Hitch Frame to the Bed.
alpo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch