Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #41
LuvsPalmTrees

I feel your pain flybouy. Our saga was about a lengthy as yours. I summarized because like you said "you can' make that stuff up". I will never deal with that dealership again. I choose a dealership that was not a big name, a Mom & Pop and I felt would give me a more personal feel. Nope, not so. Live and learn.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #42
notanlines

Flybouy, thanks for taking the time to tell your experience. Deals like that are the reason I don’t go around armed.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #43
thatdjguy

Finally some progress and believe it or not, it came after I tracked down their facebook page and threatened negative reviews/publicity. Long story short, the damage I caused from not winterizing properly will cost about $3k to fix--that's material and labor. That addresses everything but repairing the soft floor--they kept telling me that would be thousands...when it really doesn't sound like it. There are three major spots of softness--beside each side of the master, and by the entrance. They told me that under the laminate is a thin layer of what is similar to laun flooring. He told me that under that is an enclosed foam subfloor that can not really be damage by water...and to get into and replace that would mean the entire floor of the coach. Anyway, they told me to take up the vinyl and soft floor and simply replace it with something from lowes...some sort of pre-fabbed floor.

I'm not sure that I buy that, but there is another shop around that's not big, not corporate. I'll see if they can offer solutions. All I've got from this big shop is excuses and reasons why they cant fix the floor. Beyond frustrating.

To put a bow on all of this--We are sucker-customers. We thought "hey, let's buy a camper" and that's what we did. Never towed a thing in my life--no clue about these things and as somebody said previously--we thought we bought a maintenance free home on wheels. It's cost us a ton but to be honest, the memories we've made have been worth it...even with these headaches. We'll figure something with the floor--even if I just throw a sheet of plywood over the softspots...at this point, it doesn't have to look good, and we'll go make some more.

Thanks for everybody's help.
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #44
LuvsPalmTrees

Hey thatdjguy - not too bad. I am so glad that you worked this out and can move on and make more memories. That is what is most important. We all learn from our mistakes, and we all make them. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #45
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
Finally some progress and believe it or not, it came after I tracked down their facebook page and threatened negative reviews/publicity. Long story short, the damage I caused from not winterizing properly will cost about $3k to fix--that's material and labor. That addresses everything but repairing the soft floor--they kept telling me that would be thousands...when it really doesn't sound like it. There are three major spots of softness--beside each side of the master, and by the entrance. They told me that under the laminate is a thin layer of what is similar to laun flooring. He told me that under that is an enclosed foam subfloor that can not really be damage by water...and to get into and replace that would mean the entire floor of the coach. Anyway, they told me to take up the vinyl and soft floor and simply replace it with something from lowes...some sort of pre-fabbed floor.

I'm not sure that I buy that, but there is another shop around that's not big, not corporate. I'll see if they can offer solutions. All I've got from this big shop is excuses and reasons why they cant fix the floor. Beyond frustrating.

To put a bow on all of this--We are sucker-customers. We thought "hey, let's buy a camper" and that's what we did. Never towed a thing in my life--no clue about these things and as somebody said previously--we thought we bought a maintenance free home on wheels. It's cost us a ton but to be honest, the memories we've made have been worth it...even with these headaches. We'll figure something with the floor--even if I just throw a sheet of plywood over the softspots...at this point, it doesn't have to look good, and we'll go make some more.

Thanks for everybody's help.
I like your attitude! Long, long time ago we had a Cabana hybrid. I think it was a 22' , had dual axles. The floor was spongy but did not show any signs of water damage. My fix was a couple boxes of prefinished hardwood flooring. I just installed over the original floor and was good for the couple of years that we had it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #46
thatdjguy

is there any reason that simply installing flooring over the current stuff is a bad idea...aside from the look?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #47
Ksupaul

Thatdjguy

Last half of your last paragraph says it all. Live and learn, fix what you can do you can get back out there to the memories!!
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
is there any reason that simply installing flooring over the current stuff is a bad idea...aside from the look?
I think the important point is not to cover mold or rot. On my Cabana back in the day that I covered over the floor spongey but was not water damaged. I guess it was poor engineering and a poor diet on my part that was the issue. I pulled back the linoleum, inspector from the underside, and found no leaks or stains. Going over water damage and not addressing it would only work if were going to deceive some poor unsuspecting person and pass on your problems at your gain. Personally I couldn't live with myself if I did that. YMMV
Old 09-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #49
thatdjguy

I think I'm leaning on taking up the soft part, spraying it down with bleach and water, and then covering it with plywood. My wallet needs a break! Perhaps I'll convince my pop to put a new flooring product down next spring.

Thanks everybody for speaking up and going easy on a total idiot!
Old 09-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #50
JRTJH
Site Team

Killing any mold that might be in the trailer is essential to having a relatively healthy trailer after the new floor is installed. When Katrina and Rita hit the Gulf Coast, thousands of homes were flooded. Most people found that simply spraying things with bleach would not kill the mold. It kills what it contacts, but as the bleach dissipates, the mold that wasn't in contact with the bleach will overgrow and things will be "just like before treatment" in a couple months. There are many "mold removal kits" that are much more effective and more important, permanent solutions to killing mold.

Do some research before you buy a gallon of Clorox and consider the job done. It's not that simple in a trailer where mold has started in the floor and moved up the walls. Or where it's started in the walls and moved down to rot the floor.....

It's not an impossible task, just be sure that you do your research and do it right before you cover it up.... Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #51
thatdjguy

it's become a **** show

Multiple service managers---each one having no clue about the current situation. Still no communication without a plea on facebook every 2-3 weeks.

"waiting on an awning" since May

"you're awning is in, I just don't know where it is"

"Oh, your awning was backordered...then it was on backorder so long we cancelled the order"

"Do you still want us to order the awning your bill is $3000 plus (NOT addressing the soft floor)

At this point I told them that I want all work to stop, I'm picking it up tomorrow and cutting my losses. I'll take it to a smaller independent shop. I called said shop and he said "yea, so and so quit"...

I wonder why
Old 10-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #52
cookinwitdiesel

I have never really liked dealerships for anything, this is only reinforcing that feeling! With my trailer I have been more cavalier than normal and refuse to accept that I cannot fix most things on it.

That being said, you all have now scared the crap out of me and I going to research how to inspect and maintain roof seals lol
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #53
thatdjguy

HOLY CRAP

So Today I looked up the owner of the company, and found him on facebook. I also wen to their webpage and found the GM...and sent him an email. The service guy I spoke with Friday called and told me "you said we didn't contact you..we spoke Friday". to which I said "Yea. And if you recall I told you that you could do a lot to remedy the situation by simply calling me Monday like you said you would"...he didn't, of course.

Anyway--after the email sent below, long story short--they are charging me nothing but parts for the things that they have done. The waived 15 billable hours at over $100/hour.

Work that I believe they did (as in, what I've asked for but at this point, who knows): Water pump, Water heater, black tank pull handle replaced, some A/C work covered by recall...and inspecting/sealing the roof. I'll pay 800 and some change total just for the parts.

I'm still a little sour on the entire process, but I'll leave with a better taste in my mouth, and perhaps will consider them down the road if/when we purchase another. Points for the owner and G/m who admitted that they've **** the bed with this.

Here's the email I sent:

Mr. Lentz-

In May of this year I dropped my trailer off for services. It had a soft floor from an unknown leak, and some other damage from not being properly winterized. Since this time, I've had nothing but a headache with the service team. Not once have I been contacted in the five months without me having to resort to facebook pleading. Not once did I get a rundown of the problems, a quote--nothing. In fact, it sat for the first two months untouched as somebody thought that they would wait for the insurance to cal them. This was never a possibility to start with as I am the person who brought it in, and I was the person who was handling it.

More than once, a "new" service manager called to introduce himself (after yet another facebook plea) and acted shocked to hear that my coach has been on the lot for so long--only to disappear until again, I facebook message.

All in all, you guys will be replacing an awning, water pump, water heater, black handle pull valve, and some other odds and ends from this admitted novice when it comes to RV care. (speaking of awnings, just Friday I received a phone call that "it says that your awning is here, but I haven't seen it"...how nice to know that I'm such a low priority). Not trivial to be certain...but certainly not warranting such a delay and poor communication.

I'm at my whits end, and have lost all patience and confidence in your shop's ability to give me honest feedback and updates. The previous five months has negated any and all excitement that we had when we first bought the trailer some time ago. The reputation of Delmarva RV, in my opinion, stops when the sale is made as I've been told nothing, been contacted zero times without me having to plead through various channels, and simply put--understand now how mega RV stores such as yours receives such a poor reputation in some circles in terms of continued services after the sale.

I've said the same thing to no less than three "service managers" who I've been in contact with over this process: "I apologize for my attitude. I apologize for taking my frustrations out on you as I know that this has fallen into your lap unexpectedly"...however, that's no longer fair to me. I deserve communication, honesty, and to be frank, I deserve to be treated with the same respect now as I did before I signed the paper to purchase this trailer from you.

The months have passed, the payment gets withdrawn from my bank like clockwork--but my family and I have lost an entire season of enjoyment, and I've lost my damn mind.

My name is Justin *******, my phone number is ***.***.****, and my camper has been on your lot since 10AM on May 22.

Please help me.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #54
66joej

Good on you thatdjguy for being persistent. I know given the circumstances I would have done the same!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #55
notanlines

Justin, “perhaps will consider them down the road if/when we purchase another“ you need to stay strong and put this idea way, way back on the back burner. They are not a deserving dealer.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #56
thatdjguy

I believe I concur!
Old 10-31-2018, 04:08 AM   #57
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with notanlines. I've told rv, marine, and auto dealers that their salesman sells me the first one and their service dept. sells me the second, third, etc.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #58
thatdjguy

Startin' to come together!

Picked up the trailer today from the dealer. As promised, I paid only for materials--$830 something in total. For that they replaced the water heater, water pump, the flange behind the toilet that was leaking, and the black pull handle for the water tank. So for that little bit of money I feel that I got a great bang for my buck...assuming all repairs are done correctly!

Took it to a private, smaller shop to get the floor taken care of and he immediately hopped on the roof. First thing off the bat...he told me that the roof and the sidewalls simply did not connect plumbly, and that it wasn't properly sealed. Being that the unit is two years old, his opinion was that this was a factory issue. Also, being two years old--not a damn thing Keystone is going to do about it.

Long story short--both the front and back laminate are completely floating. By that, they have come off the cardboard that is between the frame and the fiberglass. Again, being two years old--most def a keystone failure. The blistering on the back and front....and even the dimpling on the side of the trailer is painfully noticeable.

So, what's the fix? He is going to take off the entire back and front laminate and grind down all damage/mildew. From here, he is going to mold plywood instead of cardboard, and than secure it to the laminate and frame...eliminating any future of this problem. He's also going to take up the damaged part of the floor and sure up the footing, and than cover it back up with an attractive solution. I told him that at this point, I don't care how it looks...it just needs to perform. He assured me that he's not letting it off his lot without it looking good.

He'll also walk the roof and give the trailer a good once over.

His price? He told me between 2200-3000. I asked him if I paid $2500 on the spot would that cover it...he said "make it $2600 and I'll winterize it tomorrow" DONE!

Final take (until the next final one): The dealer seems to be made to fix minor, popular issues. They seemed handcuffed by either corporate and or insurance to not seek solutions that aren't "textbook". The second shop that I just dropped it off at had no problem getting the wheels turning. He started to tell me some of his ideas and I just told him that I trusted him...just get it done!

As for Keystone--Sure, I could have jumped on the roof and sealed the seems the day I took it home. Guess what? This guy is an idiot (me) and was a first time buyer more excited about sitting on a beach in Hatteras than I was in learning...I believe they know that, and believe they use that. The fact that I can purchase a product that is built to fail like this is horrible. Yea, I screwed up with winterizing...but the overwhelming majority of my unit's issues came because the roof and the sides of my camper were not water tight. That's a fact, and that's inexcusable!
Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #59
thatdjguy

couple pictures. You can see on the cropped image the extent of the delam. I'll stop blowing up this thread now...hopefully I'll have some pretty fixed it pictures in 3 months or so. I told the dude no hurry--season's over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	19140   Click image for larger version

Name:	front close.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	19141   Click image for larger version

Name:	full rig.jpg
Views:	102