Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
yoster

Just bought a Hideout - help me stop from feeling sick

Hello,

New member here. Just bought a 2018 Hideout 26LHSWE. Was on "sale" for 18,999. Kids loved the bunkbeds.

My wife and I looked hard at used TT's, but couldn't find something we liked. We wanted to stay in the 10k range.. but decided it would be a better investment (not a REAL 'investment'.. you know what I'm trying to say..) to go with a new one without any hidden problems as this was to be our new "family thing" (we have two daughters - a 5 and 7 year old.)

I noticed when purchasing that materials were on the cheaper side, but didn't think much about it. Upon getting home however, I'm seeing a *LOT* of horror stories about keystone. I didn't think much about it while shopping - we looked at Starcraft and Jayco as well and I could have sworn they were all identical - well they looked like it anyway. I figured they were all built in the same place and equally 'good' quality.

Anyway, I now feel sick. We've never bought ANYTHING new before, so this was a big deal for us. We were hoping since we got it relatively 'cheap' that the depreciation hit wouldn't be as bad, and we'd enjoy a nice new trailer.

Can anyone share any redeeming qualities of this trailer to help ease my nerves? Anyone own a hideout that really really likes it and thinks it was a good purchase decision?

Here are some pics of the kiddo's in front of it - they were sure excited!

yoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
Triple GGG

Congratulations! Go camping and don't worry about all the horror stories. Will you have some issues etc. Maybe, maybe not. I can tell you those two girls will remember the time spent together forever.

My two girls are now 25 and 19 and most of their favorite memories growing up were camping. Even when a storm destroyed our awning, this or that didn't work, etc etc they still had the time of their life.

If I dig hard enough I can find bad reviews on everything I own.

Put that picture in your car, at work and on your bathroom mirror. Go make memories that live forever.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
BamaRam

I’ve been one trip in mine and nothing to be sick about. A few minor things but I didn’t expect perfect.

Nice family and trailer. Enjoy!
[
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Dont have a hideout but I love my Keystone Impact. 3rd year, zero problems. You will love your new purchase.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
eatmedic

We bought a Hideout 29BKS 4 seasons ago. No problems to speak of. Go out have fun and make some life-long memories with the kids.
eatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
yoster

This is great news - thanks everyone. Really appreciate it, seriously. My wife was getting quite frustrated with my 'sour mood' this afternoon so she sends her thanks as well lol.
yoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
busterbrown

Congrats! Making memories is what it's all about. Doesn't matter if it's in a $100K toy hauler or $19K travel trailer, the trips, the adventure, the laughs, the excitement, and the relaxation is what it's all about. Financially, your bank account will like you more with the travel trailer. Welcome from Michigan and enjoy making those memories.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:57 AM   #8
CrazyCain

DW and I have had the Hideout 177LHS for 2 years now and no problems with it at all. It survied 2 winter of camping so far, clean as a whistle...Enjoy the memories that are about to come.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:38 AM   #9
MarcS

Congrats on the purchase! Now go out there and camp and make memories!
There are bound to be small issues. Don't worry. This forum is a wealth of great information!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:50 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

From a techs point of view, between the 3 choices you did good. Enjoy it, and welcome to the forum.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:45 AM   #11
mlk1950

My wife and I have a 2015 175 LHS. We just bought it last year, and took it out on our second trip last week. So far everything has worked like a charm and we are very pleased with it. We have owned several types of RV's over the years and have found that you have to learn the unit and make it your own. Have fun with it and welcome. These people on this forum are some of the best. When problems do arise, they will do their best to talk you through it and solve it. Take it out and have fun.
mlk1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:57 AM   #12
Overspray

I’m in a similar position as you are. Bought brand new hideout 308BHDS 5er due to layout and hoping for zero issues. Our first trip was this past weekend, a few trim things to address, and a major leak underneath. None of which would make me change my mind or not use it. We will be going again this weekend coming up before having the leak addressed and fixed. Just can’t shower in the camper, not the end of the world. My daughter is raving about camping and can hardly contain her excitement, that makes it worth while to me and my wife. Money well spent in my book.

I worked at a car dealer in service for a few years, everything has issues. As long as they’re addressed while under warranty, you should be good to go.
Overspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #13
kinggartk

Pretty much Every Camper manufacturer has bad reviews...along their fair share of good reviews. I would say Keystone doesn't have any more bad reviews than the other mainstream manufacturers.

As long as you have a good dealer to work with, you and the dealer can overcome almost any negative issue.

2018 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2510BH
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Super Cab
kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

You might read 100 bad reviews online, many of them duplicates from angry people who post everywhere. When that number of bad units is taken in the proper perspective, with 500,000 trailers manufactured annually (actually there are many more than that produced each year) the number of "bad units" is so small that it's not statistically relevant (unless you're one of the owners of a bad unit). Chances of that happening, given half a million produced every year are so small that it's just not something any owner should dwell on.

Go, enjoy, deal with the issues "IF" they happen, otherwise, focus on the good, not on the "possible bad".....

There are enough hypochondriacs worried about health issues, we don't need RVchondriacs getting mixed into the fold

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #15
Tbos

I have a very good friend that has the same model without the slide and they love it. I don’t believe he has had a single issue with the exception of the door lock breaking. FYI, those locks are used in all models. Do a thorough check on everything and if there are issues get them fixed under warranty. Do or have the maintenance done routinely. Enjoy your new TT. I have grandkids the same age as yours and they absolutely love going camping with us. Welcome to the forum from Southern MD.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #16
hamm20132

Just bought a Hideout - help me stop from feeling sick

Congratulations, we are in our 2nd keystone travel trailer and we have been happy with them. Have fun and be happy!
hamm20132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

I do not see a single problem when looking at the photos. Does that mean you will never have a problem, I doubt it. RVs are in need of a lot more maintenance than your house. Learn to spot and fix the minor stuff or pay big money to the RV shop. You should know every NEW thing you buy looses a pile of value as you leave the lot. Depending on how you paid for it you may need to keep it for 5 or more years before being under water. And if you do not maintain it, the value or worth will be a munch less.
Enjoy the time your spend with your family camping that is priceless.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

I've got to chime in and say I agree with the rest - NO reason to be upset or worrying. Just looking at your pictures I see 2 super reasons to be very excited. RVs, like houses, need maintenance and some TLC. Keystone is as good as any brand out there in its price range and better than most in my experience, so, learn everything you can about your trailer, load it up, pack up the girls and go make some memories for a lifetime! Oh! Welcome to the forum!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #19
notanlines

Yoster, your DW is on the money! Shake that attitude or the girls will want to leave you home next trip. People on this forum KNOW RV ‘s and they wouldn’t steer you wrong. Take lots of pictures....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:50 PM   #20
Gegrad

Yep, as others have stated, small things will pop up- but we are all here to help each other through them. Your girls will have so much fun and get so many memories it will all be worth it! Just get to know the small things and how to correct them at the outset and you have very few big problems. Welcome, and happy camping!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout