Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
BRB Rig

Bad Batteries Already?

We've barely owned our rig for two months and we've already dug a small hole for ourselves. We're 5th wheel pre-schoolers who parked our Fuzion 325 at a storage space 5 weeks ago. Earlier this week, we decided to pay our home a visit only to find that nothing electrical worked. We couldn't start the generator or release the sliders.

So, we tested our two Centennial 12V marine batteries. 0.8V?!?! WTH??? The former owner sent us off with fully-charged batteries. 50 miles later, we parked it at our storage site, thinking the batteries would be ok. Def not the case 5 weeks later. We brought them to Auto Zone and they gave us the bad news after charging them overnight and half a day!

We're stumped. Any advice appreciated. Moda & Cherry

BRB Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
notanlines

BRB, the batteries were probably "dead" in about 2 weeks. Your red handled battery disconnect is exactly that in words only. Search this site for battery disconnect and follow the advice given. Probably a true marine battery disconnect is in your future.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:38 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

As Jim said, your batteries were dead in about a week or so and the continued drain beyond that point destroyed your batteries in "short order".

When you get your new batteries installed, walk around taking note of all the "little red, green and blue" LED lights you see. The LP detector, the TV booster, the smoke detector, the CO detector, the radio faceplate backlight just to name a few. Then, if you open the storage compartment where your remote control is located, you'll find even more of those "little red lights"....

Each of them is actively using battery power, even in storage and most of them will continue using battery power even with the "battery cutoff switch" in the off position. They are considered "essential safety devices and/or essential convenience devices" and as such, the "wiring genius" at Keystone (and all other RV manufacturers) has determined that they need to remain powered even when the RV is in "storage".....

So, use it as a lesson on what not to do to your battery system. Either install a "true battery cutoff" or disconnect the battery terminal wiring to prevent discharging and destroying your battery/batteries. Expensive lesson? Yup, but probably not the last time you'll wind up paying a lot of money for something you overlooked..... Welcome to the joy of RV ownership.... In some regards, it's just like owning a "big boat"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:52 AM   #4
mazboy

if you are leaving the trailer for a while, DO MORE THAN JUST TURN THE HANDLE on your disconnect.

DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE LINE --ALL BATTERIES.
You can leave fully charged batteries along for about 2 months before you need to charge them...per interstate batteries.

And no, you can't recharge the batteries very well by just going down the road.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #5
{tpc}

FWIW, my trailer drains the battery in about 2 weeks sitting in storage because of the radio and whatever else. But I'm still running the same battery 4 years later.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:28 AM   #6
BRB Rig

Smile

Sound advice, fellow haulers. We're shoring up next week and a neighbor was kind enough to offer his extra battery to get us to our spot. In December, we're heading to SoCal to cover our roof with MioSolé flex solar tiles and install a 7.6kwh LiPoMN Powergrid system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
BRB, the batteries were probably "dead" in about 2 weeks. Your red handled battery disconnect is exactly that in words only. Search this site for battery disconnect and follow the advice given. Probably a true marine battery disconnect is in your future.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB Rig View Post
Sound advice, fellow haulers. We're shoring up next week and a neighbor was kind enough to offer his extra battery to get us to our spot. In December, we're heading to SoCal to cover our roof with MioSolé flex solar tiles and install a 7.6kwh LiPoMN Powergrid system.
If you're spending that kind of scratch on a solar system, the price of a couple batteries is nothing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
BRB Rig

True that, TT! We're looking for knowledge and lovin the support. No sense in investing in new batteries if we can borrow and buy a used brick to get us to SoCal. 🤠

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you're spending that kind of scratch on a solar system, the price of a couple batteries is nothing.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
And to make use of that solar system he will be buying a lot more than 2 batteries.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
BRB Rig

Just one LiPo manganese battery in the box. 😄

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
And to make use of that solar system he will be buying a lot more than 2 batteries.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #11
bbells

I am sure someone has already said this, but marine batteries are not deep cycle. They are simply a compromise between a car battery, deep cycle, and weight. Even in the best use their life span is only 6 months to 1.5 years. 12v real deep cycle batteries weigh about 150 pounds and last 10 times longer (both lifespan and power) than marine batteries. Pick up a couple 6v golf cart batteries and put them in series if you are going to replace your current battery. They cost the same, last longer and have 2-4 times the amp hours. Avoid anything that has cca on it. FYI: I have set up solar systems for campers and cabins and ham shacks for over 20 years. Don't waste your money on marine batteries.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
BRB Rig

Thanks, BBells. Good knowledge! As newbies, we didn't know about our existing batteries. We're wondering if the rig originally shipped with these batteries.

We're entertaining one battery option and an alternative to conventional solar panels, and can further use your knowledge and expertise ....

Weight is a definite concern for our rig. So, we're considering installing MiaSolé flex panels as a permanent solar solution. Their panels boast 16.5% efficiency, are unbreakable, and weigh far less than conventional panels. We've taken all the necessary measurements and can possibly get at least 1200w on the roof, but only if we remove the "bat" antenna. We don't watch TV, so we're not going to miss it a bit. Are you familiar with the flex solar "peel and stick" panels?

As for batteries, our first option is to purchase Clean Energy Storage's PowerGrid box that includes either a 24 or 48v 7.6kwh 330ah LiFeMnPO4 battery that has a 7-minute DOD charge to 90% capacity. The plug and play box also includes a 6K inverter, a smart charger, and mounted interconnects.

All pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
I am sure someone has already said this, but marine batteries are not deep cycle. They are simply a compromise between a car battery, deep cycle, and weight. Even in the best use their life span is only 6 months to 1.5 years. 12v real deep cycle batteries weigh about 150 pounds and last 10 times longer (both lifespan and power) than marine batteries. Pick up a couple 6v golf cart batteries and put them in series if you are going to replace your current battery. They cost the same, last longer and have 2-4 times the amp hours. Avoid anything that has cca on it. FYI: I have set up solar systems for campers and cabins and ham shacks for over 20 years. Don't waste your money on marine batteries.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MP8-Mobile-Power-Box.pdf (160.8 KB, 125 views)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, BBells. Good knowledge! As newbies, we didn't know about our existing batteries. We're wondering if the rig originally shipped with these batteries. :
FYI: Keystone does not "ship batteries with any trailer". ALL batteries are provided by the dealership as a part of the sale to the customer. At some dealerships you'll get the smallest available (cheapest) marine battery, at some dealerships you'll get "any old battery that came in with a trade last week" and at some dealerships you'll get a "reasonably sized quality RV battery"..... That said, what dealer A provides to his customers may be entirely different than you'll find at dealer B across the street. There is no consistency in battery provisions and no involvement with the factory.

Your owner's manual has this statement on page 28 in the "breakaway switch instructions"

"The RV battery is not supplied by Keystone. Please consult your RV dealer to purchase the proper battery."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
rinaldij

FWIW I have a 100 watt solar panel set I use to maintain the battery while in storage.
rinaldij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
BadmanRick

We keep our TT at home hooked up to a 30 amp Service. This keeps our battery charged. See if the storage facility has a 110 hookup to plug into. As long as you are not using the AC units 110 will keep the batteries charged.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
bbells

Quote:
Thanks, BBells. Good knowledge! As newbies, we didn't know about our existing batteries. We're wondering if the rig originally shipped with these batteries.

We're entertaining one battery option and an alternative to conventional solar panels, and can further use your knowledge and expertise ....

Weight is a definite concern for our rig. So, we're considering installing MiaSolé flex panels as a permanent solar solution. Their panels boast 16.5% efficiency, are unbreakable, and weigh far less than conventional panels. We've taken all the necessary measurements and can possibly get at least 1200w on the roof, but only if we remove the "bat" antenna. We don't watch TV, so we're not going to miss it a bit. Are you familiar with the flex solar "peel and stick" panels?

As for batteries, our first option is to purchase Clean Energy Storage's PowerGrid box that includes either a 24 or 48v 7.6kwh 330ah LiFeMnPO4 battery that has a 7-minute DOD charge to 90% capacity. The plug and play box also includes a 6K inverter, a smart charger, and mounted interconnects.

All pretty cool.
Just a couple things. 7600w/1200w = 6 hours of direct sun needed to charge. Since you will only be discharging at most 50%, you should be able to completely charge your panels every day, unless you park under a tree. You could probably get away with skipping one panel and leave the antenna. I agree with the 24-48v battery packs. It is the only way to get efficiency. Some people are forced to use 12v systems since their RV charger is 12v and they want to be able too use both. Most get 24v panels to charge the 12v battery pack - With the right controller. Not real efficient, but they are less expensive per watt. I stopped my biz when the tariffs hit on the panels. It just about doubled the price for most panels - Making them unrealistic for most people since it is impossible to find USA made panels that are affordable and have any quality. Therefore no real experience with the flex panels. When they first came out I had a couple questions about them that I never answered. 1) Can they handle hail hitting them straight on? Most panels are at an angle and get glancing blows. 2) When you have a wiring problem or breakdown on one, can you easily remove it? 3) If they are tightly glued on the entire back, what happens when temperatures flex the roof and panels differently? On the other hand, how much of that can happen in the 3-5 year avg ownership of an RV? Sorry I can't be more help.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #17
tomd

I have been gathering data using my new 'battery monitoring system' which has greatly improved the 'lack of data' I had, which caused batteries to drain previously.
My discharge runs about .15 A with battery switch OFF. If on, almost 1.8 Amps. I carry 2 80Ah batteries=160Ah total; So 2 amps reaches 50% discharge in about 80 hrs. with the switch ON.

Before investing in new power grid, I strongly suggest you monitor some typical trips and figure out you're needed usage. My history shows I can easily support 2 camping days with no charge, even with heater on at night(fan draws power). But whatever you do, be sure to size panels, batteries as a combined system so the complement each other.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #18
hdrolling

If I know my camper isn't going to be used for more than a couple weeks I pull them and bring to my garage and leave them hooked up to a trickle charger until the next time I need them.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote