Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Yvon Royer

Cougar 285 EFS water problem

Hi,

My unit is a 2005 model and I have begun to see a 6” crack in the gel coat right below the joints in the gutter above the slideout. There is a bubble in the gelcoat below and I suspect that it was due to missing caulking between the two gutter sections.

I am the 4th owner of this rig so I don’t have the full history. The slide has begun to rip a 1” section of the rug in the dining area. There is no damage to the lineloleum underneath.

The RV repair shop wants to take the slide out to investigate for rut that may be collapsing this section. Now my information is that this winterized unit has aluminum joists with styrofoam insulation; can anyone confirm this? This would eliminate rut and a collapse of the structure as a source.

Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Yvon Royer
2005 Cougar 285 EFS
RAM 3500 diesel short box
Andersen 5th wheel pyramidal hitch
Delta, BC Canada
Yvon Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the 2005 Cougar brochure https://www.rvroundtable.com/wp-cont...arbrochure.pdf the sidewalls are aluminum construction. Even though the studs are aluminum, the trailer sidewalls contain two layers of luan plywood with a core of insulating foam. The outer siding is FILON (a gelcoat fiberglass) sheeting.

There can be substantial rot in the walls if the luan has become saturated from rot, even if the aluminum studding is intact. Finding the cause and extent of damage is essential to a good repair, however with a 14 year old trailer, you may find that the expense of contracting a RV service center to do the job will cost substantially more than the trailer's value.

Sort of a "catch 22" in how much money to invest to find out how much it will cost to then decide not to repair it because it's too expensive.....

Rotten sidewalls are very possible, even with aluminum framing.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
Yvon Royer

Thanks! Not the news I wanted to hear but it is information that I need for the repair shop. There is no sign of damage inside (yet) so I will hope for the best.

Yvon
Yvon Royer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, water