Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #21
SteMax

I also LOVE my aluminum Anderson ultimate hitch. It pulls great it’s quiet and easy to install and remove.
Buuuuutttttt the Reese goosebox looks even better no hitch to remove ever. Check out Big Truck Big RVs goosbox review on Youtube.
https://youtu.be/-kZoQFoSH34
SteMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #22
Goldwing27

We are new to rving and we are very happy Anderson ultimate hitch owners. My wife can take it in and out no problem. No way she could do a fifth wheel hitch.
Goldwing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #23
bob91yj

Just an FYI, the Anderson family was recently caught defacing the Corona Arch among other things. It's tough to base purchase decisions off of outside influences, but I refuse to do business with any one that maliciously defaces public parks.

https://idahostatejournal.com/member...53287525d.html
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #24
notanlines

Bob, an interesting article at a minimum. And certainly eye-opening. I simply cannot fathom a business man/woman being that ignorant as to carve up one of the arches. Hopefully he will face the max fine for his actions.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #25
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
Just an FYI, the Anderson family was recently caught defacing the Corona Arch among other things. It's tough to base purchase decisions off of outside influences, but I refuse to do business with any one that maliciously defaces public parks.

He (Anderson) could get jail time. The fellow that harassed the bison in Yellowstone NP got 130 days in jail plus community service.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #26
madmaxmutt

I saw that a few weeks ago. Makes me PO'd for sure. I won't take it out on all the employees, though. I know the CW boss said some stupid things too. I don't shop there for different reasons. And for the record, I think many CEOs are idiots...
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #27
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I saw that a few weeks ago. Makes me PO'd for sure. I won't take it out on all the employees, though. I know the CW boss said some stupid things too. I don't shop there for different reasons. And for the record, I think many CEOs are idiots...
Yes and they ride the backs of the employees to get $5 million salaries and bonuses. I guess I'm grumpy because I never amounted to much. Mechanics are not cut out to be CEOs. Rant done.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

All of this actually happened back in the spring (April 2018)... There was a thread in the forum in late April discussing this. Seems the "general sentiment" hasn't changed much from then to now.... Jerks are jerks....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Yes and they ride the backs of the employees to get $5 million salaries and bonuses. I guess I'm grumpy because I never amounted to much. Mechanics are not cut out to be CEOs. Rant done.
Don't sell yourself short, it's the mechanics and the rest of us working class that keep this world running. Could you imagine depending on most CEO's to repair your vehicle.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #30
madmaxmutt

Back to the subject... Has anyone actually used the Reese hitch? It looks really short. My gooseneck will be very low in the bed. The Ford bed rails appear to be pretty tall. I am wondering if this is really even an option?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #31
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post

This was posted sometime ago on the forum, and although it was unfortunate that the owner did something this stupid, it shouldn’t reflect on the product or the employee’s of Andersen. I’m sure Mr. Andersen is facing some stiff fines and possible jail time, plus the public embarassement for himself and his family. Despite this, it still won’t keep me from recommending the Andersen hitch as a good product.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 AM   #32
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Back to the subject... Has anyone actually used the Reese hitch? It looks really short. My gooseneck will be very low in the bed. The Ford bed rails appear to be pretty tall. I am wondering if this is really even an option?
We have installed quite a few and no one has had any clearance issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:55 AM   #33
Dave W

Do your homework well elsewhere too with a hitch such as an Anderson . There have been some failures with their product though quite possibly no more then any other brand. Additionally there have been some warranty issues that Anderson has refused vs their claims of years of 100% coverage. Then, make sure that Lippert who make the 5ers frame will stand behind any chassis problems. At one point they were refusing to repaire frames on trailers that were being hauled by an Anderson user. Of course there is that well documented felony which is well covered on the 'net if that bothers you.

I personally am very happy after 10 years of use with my B&W. Some folks dislike the 2 pieces that can weigh 65-70 pounds each, their slider base a bit more. At over 70, have nary a problem handling either piece. Reese, Curt, Pullright and others are woth a looking at too. Just make sure that you have enough hitch for any future 5er upsizing.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:28 AM   #34
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Do your homework well elsewhere too with a hitch such as an Anderson . There have been some failures with their product though quite possibly no more then any other brand. Additionally there have been some warranty issues that Anderson has refused vs their claims of years of 100% coverage. Then, make sure that Lippert who make the 5ers frame will stand behind any chassis problems. At one point they were refusing to repaire frames on trailers that were being hauled by an Anderson user. Of course there is that well documented felony which is well covered on the 'net if that bothers you.

I personally am very happy after 10 years of use with my B&W. Some folks dislike the 2 pieces that can weigh 65-70 pounds each, their slider base a bit more. At over 70, have nary a problem handling either piece. Reese, Curt, Pullright and others are woth a looking at too. Just make sure that you have enough hitch for any future 5er upsizing.
At 69 years of age I can still ((if forced at gun point) load and unload my Reese by myself in one piece, although why I would do that is beyond me..

It is after made in two easily separated pieces for a reason...

And as a designer of mechanical things... you couldn't give me an Anderson unless you attached a C-note to the leg...
Old 08-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #35
Racebug

My neighbor recently came home with an Anderson hitch. I noticed it moves the pin center back about 2-3" behind the center of trucks rear axle. Why?? Its not a clearance issue, he has an 8' bed. If anything I would want the pin to move 2" in front of the rear axle to spread load to the steer axle.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:21 AM   #36
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebug View Post
My neighbor recently came home with an Anderson hitch. I noticed it moves the pin center back about 2-3" behind the center of trucks rear axle. Why?? Its not a clearance issue, he has an 8' bed. If anything I would want the pin to move 2" in front of the rear axle to spread load to the steer axle.

The “capture” box can be mounted with the cup in front of or behind the king pin.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:28 AM   #37
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebug View Post
If it's centered on or in front of the rear axle it's a 5th wheel, behind the axle it a trailer with the ball mounted in the bed instead of the bumper. Changes the dynamics of the entire setup.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #38
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

And as a designer of mechanical things... you couldn't give me an Anderson unless you attached a C-note to the leg...

I have the same 'affliction'. Mechanically, the AUH or the steel version has too many ways to fail, especially the AUH. Aluminum is way too notch sensitive IMHO to be used in a high stree configuration. Their steel version would probably survive.

Too each is own and if the sales pitch or 'net testimonials for an Anderson gives you confidence, then that's the way to go. But weight reduction, just in Lite trailers or sub compact cars means to me that strenth of materials has been compromised.

Now, I just refilled the pop corn bowl

Oh and one more thing - you may have to hyper extend your landing gear or self leveling on some off grade sites with an Anderson. Also, you really lose bed storage space with the frame base.

But, again, still your choice, but know the pluses and minuses of conventional vs Anderson
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #39
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If it's centered on or in front of the rear axle it's a 5th wheel, behind the axle it a trailer with the ball mounted in the bed instead of the bumper. Changes the dynamics of the entire setup.

I not sure that’s really right. In the end the “load” is still over the axle not on the bumper. Not here to argue or defend one type or the other.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #40
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I have the same 'affliction'. Mechanically, the AUH or the steel version has too many ways to fail, especially the AUH. Aluminum is way too notch sensitive IMHO to be used in a high stree configuration. Their steel version would probably survive.

Too each is own and if the sales pitch or 'net testimonials for an Anderson gives you confidence, then that's the way to go. But weight reduction, just in Lite trailers or sub compact cars means to me that strenth of materials has been compromised.

Now, I just refilled the pop corn bowl

Oh and one more thing - you may have to hyper extend your landing gear or self leveling on some off grade sites with an Anderson. Also, you really lose bed storage space with the frame base.

But, again, still your choice, but know the pluses and minuses of conventional vs Anderson
So, you are saying there are engineering problems with the Andersen? What does notch sensitive mean? Why would you have to over extend the landing gear? These are problems that owners don't seem to report or know about?