Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
sjturbo

Filon Stress Cracks?

We recently purchased a 2010 Laredo 316RL. I have been doing some mods and tightening screws until my DW can get some time off. Today I was looking at the siding and found three what I might call "stress cracks" approx. 2" to 3" in the side wall starting at the roof/ side molding and going down. They appear to be "hair line" cracks. My questions are has anyone experienced these type of cracks, should I be worried, try to repair (if so how), or just enjoy life? I believe the filon is laminated to luan (what a quality pair) so I might be concerned with moisture and eventual moisture intrusion.
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I've experienced stress cracks in a fiberglass boat/marine situation which is similar to but somewhat different than what you are looking at. It is likely that the "checking or crazing" may continue and you may find that the cracks will begin to "grow" and perhaps deepen - if they are, in fact, stress cracks. At this point, I would be concerned about water penetration into the gel coat/filon and substrates.

Unfortunately, it appears as though your 1 year warranty has expired so it is unlikely that Keystone will do anything for you.

As the description of the crack implies, these are created by stress and as long as the unit is sitting idle, they will most likely remain the same size and not cause for alarm.

My concern would be that once the RV is on the road again and subjected to flexing and bouncing around, that these cracks could enlarge.

Unless you are familiar with fiberglass/gel coat repair, I'd leave the fix to those who have the expertise and experience in dealing with this issue. Trying to fix it yourself with matching gel coat "paint" might be an option but I would try this on an small area that won't be noticed if you "goof up". You might want to visit a marine repair facility and try to dig up some information from these folks or perhaps an auto body repair shop might be able to help as well. I really don't think that RV repair shops have the expertise to deal with these types of problems but you could try.

For the time being, I'd keep a close eye on it and see what these cracks do. Take photos and measure them so you have a reference point on their size.

Let us know how you make out - keep us posted.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
outwest

It is repairable, but like Festus said, I'd leave it to someone with experience in dealing with fiberglass and such.

Our Vantage developed stress cracks on one side of the rear fiberglass cap, right where the screws hold it on, on it's first outing. Took to local dealer and they fixed it under warranty. Not sure what exactly was done, but the guy in service dept said they'd have to take it to a fiberglass guy they routinely deal with in order to get it done properly.

I realize you're saying they're in the filon rather than fiberglass, but since filon is a form of fiberglass sheeting...

Edit to add - stumbled across a site where person details building a teardrop trailer using filon http://www.outbackteardrop.com/ (which in itself is an interesting read) and in it (on page http://www.outbackteardrop.com/body4.html ) he says that all filon is made by Kemlite Corp. and that their factory techs are quite helpful. So, might be worth getting ahold of Kemlite if you think you might be up to the challenge of repairing yourself, or even just for finding out proper way so that you know that person repairing it is doing it right.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
sjturbo

Thanks for the responses. I measured the cracks and they are actually 5.5" and 1.5". Maybe you can see them?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
sjturbo

Spoke with the service manager at the purchase dealership and he said to drill a small hole at the leading end of the crack in order to stop it from traveling any further. This is as I suspected after reading other info on the web. As a short term fix he also suggested an application of silicon to stop moisture intrusion. Long term would be a fiberglass repair. Anyone had any experience with this type of repair and how long it might last?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

While I haven't actually done that repair, I am familiar with it as a "fix". Applying silicone at this stage is a good idea to prevent any intrusion of water. You might use a 1/8th inch drill bit going in just enough to go through the gelcoat and filon.

The hole will require extra attention to ensure that you have it completely sealed with silicone. Be sure to clean off the area before you apply the silicone.

As you know, silicone tends to discolour and pick up dirt and grime so you will probably have to remove the silicone, thoroughly clean it off and reapply again when it starts to turn colour. Trying to find a white, waterproof sealant that will match your existing gelcoat/filon will be really difficult and if you don't get an exact match, the repair patch will really be noticeable.

Another photo of your repair would be helpful.

I'd also keep a close eye on this area watching for any new stress fractures.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
sjturbo

I will post a photo when I do the silicone.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
theeyres

I did have that problem with a former (non Keystone) trailer that also had some delam issues. They took it back to the factory and fixed it all and never had any further issues. If you looked really close you could see where they actually did seal the stress cracks with epoxy (at least that's what it looked like). I suspect that is the only permanent solution.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
airforceret

Interesting reading considering I just notified the dealer yesterday about cracking on my new 2013 Cougar.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
Yvon Royer

I have a similar issue with a Cougar 285 EFS. Watch for bubbles in the gelcoat in case it is due to water penetration.

I am investigating repair options now.

Yvon Royer
Delta BC
Yvon Royer is offline   Reply With Quote