Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
skydiverchuck

Brand new toy hauler in the shop already!

So my wife, son and I took the toy hauler out for the weekend. When we got there the bedroom slide didn't go out initially, it took a while for it to engage. It finally went out and I thought, "I need to get that looked at something doesn't seem right." Well I was right, today we went to head home and the slide wouldn't go in. The motor was running but the slide didn't move at all.

I managed to push it is so we could head home and dropped it off at the shop, I was told by the sales guy "sometimes it takes a couple of months to get the bugs worked out of these things" Seriously WTF? I spend 60k or so on a toy hauler and I used it twice before sending it to the shop. You think they would have the "bugs" worked out of these this long before the sale! We'll I guess I'll se how well they back their warranty....
skydiverchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:21 AM   #2
GaryWT

Some people get lucky and have no issues and others have a list of 8-10 things after their first trip. Something's are minor and people fix themselves and others are back in the shop. Leaks seem to be the worse as the shop cannot always duplicate the situation. Hopefully they will be able to fix your slide quickly for you
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
Whitehouse

Did it work when you did your PDI at the dealer?
Whitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverchuck View Post
So my wife, son and I took the toy hauler out for the weekend. When we got there the bedroom slide didn't go out initially, it took a while for it to engage. It finally went out and I thought, "I need to get that looked at something doesn't seem right." Well I was right, today we went to head home and the slide wouldn't go in. The motor was running but the slide didn't move at all.

I managed to push it is so we could head home and dropped it off at the shop, I was told by the sales guy "sometimes it takes a couple of months to get the bugs worked out of these things" Seriously WTF? I spend 60k or so on a toy hauler and I used it twice before sending it to the shop. You think they would have the "bugs" worked out of these this long before the sale! We'll I guess I'll se how well they back their warranty....
I've said it before and will say it again, it's totally unacceptable and something needs to be done in this industry. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't think one brand is any better than the other, or at least not by much.

I will say that Grand Designs had a rally at the RV resort we were recently staying at and every single owner had nothing but great things to say about Grand Designs. I talked to a lot of them also and most, if not all, I talked to were previous owners of different brands. My only concern is they are new and it's real easy for the "we are new and going to do things differently" mentality to wear off when competing with everyone else. I know they have problems also, everything mechanical has problems, but the owners are able to call directly to the factory and talk to someone to handle the problem.

I hope your dealer takes care of you in a timely manner, this waiting for months for a day or two of work is BS. It's one reason I don't care about the warranty and will probably take my chances buying used and saving thousands. I'll either fix it myself or pay a small RV repair person to get it fixed. I love anything new but I think I'd go postal leaving my brand new toy hauler in the lot of a dealer for weeks or months. I hate letting it set outside, guess I'm too picky.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
saw dust kid

You will be keystone's test dummy!!!!!
saw dust kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #6
dcg9381

Unfortunately, this is pretty much to be expected. It's not unique to Keystone. IMHO, the best RV to buy is one that has been used for 1-2 years, depreciated, and the prior owner worked the kinks out.

Based on what I read (and what I've experienced) pretty much all units have these sorts of issues. I know I've got issues with mine. All of them showed up post PDI.

The real downside isn't that they're going to have issues, but it's the potential of weeks to months to get it in to get it fixed, depending on how backed up the service department is this time of year.

You can buy higher end units that are better tested and have fewer out the door problems. I don't know Grand Designs, but I do know DRV. For a similarly sized toy hauler, you're looking at 100% more (literally) than what you paid for your Keystone.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
skydiverchuck

I called this morning, the sales guys was pretty rude. His response was well I've got 10 ahead of you, we'll get to it when we can. Pretty piss poor service considering I haven't even made the first payment yet.....
Old 07-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
3wheeler

C130, if your too picky then so am I. Last year I took my previous 5er(a Cougar) to the dealer for an insurance claim( tire blew and caused light damage) It set there for 6 weeks and it took a call to the owner to get things moving. Anyway, when I got home with it I found some water damage from where it set out in several torrential rainstorms. I keep it in a building at home. I called them and complained but to no avail. I called my insurance and they wouldn't cover it because of "owner neglected to do routine roof maintenance" I asked them how I was supposed to do roof maintenance when it was an hour and a half away for over 6 weeks. The adjuster sympathized but said his hands were tied. We bought a new toy hauler last september and this past april the a/c lost its charge. I fixed it myself instead of going through the same thing again. I don't like leaving my rv out in the weather if I aint in it.
2002 Goldwing trike
2012 EZ-GO 2Five
2014 Gem E4
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
gtsum2

It amazes me how bad some service centers can be. It took mine 6 weeks to get a replacement backup camera monitor (obviously nothing like you are going through, but just seems typical of the industry
Old 07-21-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
dcg9381

Yea, same old thing. We've got a bunch of lights that are dead. The ideal situation would be that the dealer provides the lights and I'll install them. I'd be willing to pre-pay for the lights if that's the issue.

All the lights are of the same type, and it's more than 50% that have failed - so I assume there is an issue with the lights type.

Instead, the solution seems to be to take it in, wait a number of weeks, and they'll replace only the lights that are out. Note, it costs me well over what the lights are worth in time off work and fuel to take it into the dealer.

As such, we pay to replace things that are under warranty. Dealer is for big things. I just found a different set of LEDs that fit in the same location.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #11
Face Down

If the motor is still running it sounds like either a cable broke, or more likely one came un-done somehow. I know it is a pain to look back there, but you might be able to do a quick fix to at least keep you in the camper until the season is over.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
dcg9381

If it is the cable, there's the recent recall that may be the culprit... Largely the connector (screw) that holds the chain to the cable gives up... As indicated above, if you look back there and the cables are slack, take a photo..
Old 07-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #13
skydiverchuck

Well I have to admit, I was pretty impressed. I called Monday AM and spoke to the service dept. The tech I talked to at first was a bit difficult to get along with but I reminded them that this RV was less than 30 days old and only used for a total of 4 days... I received a call just before the end of the day that the unit was ready.

When I got the unit it was low on Hydraulic fluid, they added fluid for me but apparently at some point it got air in the line. As a result, the slide which is hydraulic driven would not extend. They bled the line added fluid and its good to go. I picked the unit up yesterday. We take off with in again in about 2 weeks so we'll so how it goes.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 AM   #14
dpcrf450

Did you buy at Best RV? What model did you buy? Just curious as I see you are from modesto and I have bought several RVs from them. They were responsive for me.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
hoffbrew

Chuck... if you purchased at Best RV, you have the warranty that lets you take your trailer to any authorized RV dealer/repair shop.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #16
ri_truck_guy

Just did the emergency repair on my main slide last night. It snapped all the screws on one of the cable brackets. Manage to either drill or extract all the original screws, then replaced them with one size larger.
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited 103 CI
Everyone has issues...some people's are just more interesting."
ri_truck_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #17
hoffbrew

It must be the same bracket I was just looking at last night, the one at the bottom by front door? Mine looks like it has bent inward a little. I have noticed when I extend slide out it is not flush to the wall at bottom?
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 07-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #18
ri_truck_guy

Mine was the bottom by the back door. After reattaching the bracket I looked at all the others. Some had loose screws, but what really concerns me is that all the cables seem to have different levels of tension. In other words, the tension between pairs of lower or upper cables on a slide aren't even. I had to loosen then re-tension the one I repaired to get it back on the bracket. It was a real pain given the location of the tensioner. I'm going to go through all of them when I get home from Sturgis.
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited 103 CI
Everyone has issues...some people's are just more interesting."
ri_truck_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #19
hoffbrew

My cables are the same way, damn, I will check all brackets tomorrow after I get all set up.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 07-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #20
skydiverchuck

I purchased it at Don's RV in Turlock My bedroom slide is hydraulic, the kitchen and living room slide are cable operated!