Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
skydiverchuck

Disconnecting the battery

So, I have a 2015 raptor, when I parked it at the storage lot the battery was fully charged when I went back today it was completely dead. I'm assuming it's because the system has a draw on the battery. But it was so dead I couldn't even fire the generator. Is there anyway to completely disconnect the battery from the system so I can at least start the generator when I am ready to pull the unit out of storage? Thanks!
skydiverchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The only way to completely disconnect the battery(s) is to either remove the positive feed from the battery to the trailer, or install a disconnect switch in that wire. There are a few different choices and they are all fairly simple to install. I prefer the Marinco brand and you can purchase them at most any RV or boat store and Amazon.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Starmaster

Battery Disconnect

There can be several things that draw little power, such as some detectors, status lights on electronics, TPMS repeaters, TV antenna amplifiers, etc. that over time can drain a battery.

The best thing to do is place a battery disconnect switch between the negative post of your battery and where it is connected to the frame. Typically, there is only one wire from the battery negative to the frame so a switch install is easy. It can also be installed on positive side but there can be multiple wires to manage when doing that and proper insulation/isolation of where the wires are attached to the switch are mandatory when placing in the positive lead.

Harbor Freight has a disconnect switch for less that $10, I've used them on more than one trailer and never had a failure, the part number is 66789. Yes, I'm sure there are people out there that think HF is junk, but I've not had any problems with this switch.

Dave
B&W Patriot, Honda EU2000i, Progressive Ind EMS, 602ABCWATER water softener, TireTraker, Rand RVND7730 GPS
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
3KQ

My 2014 Raptor 384 does the same thing if I do not turn off the battery disconnect switch in the outside convenience center. I have noticed that the stereo and the gas gauges are always on. You can turn the stereo off but would have to pull the fuse for the gas gauges. Easier to just turn off the disconnect each time I disconnect for storage.
3KQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:13 AM   #5
sptddog

Even with the battery disconnect in the panel engaged, mine will drain. I just disconnect the battery manually when I park it, and it's always got a charge when I come back. For me, that was easier than dealing with installing a switch at the battery.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
Barbell

Our Montana does the same; don't intend to start a discussion on electricity but I have to disconnect BOTH terminals to keep the battery from discharging. Otherwise, even with the factory disconnect turned to off, battery will be flat in 48 hours. I have mentioned this previously and have heard nothing that explains it.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:09 AM   #7
Drew Waller

Battery drain

I put a scissor switch in off the battery and killed everything drawing from the battery. $10.00 or less. The amp for the Zony stereo stays on all the time as does the leveling system plus all those safety detectors!

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #8
dcg9381

I think the "factory" disconnects don't do things like the carbon monoxide detectors and a few other 12v devices. I'd just put a marine disconnect in-line and be done with it.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote