Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #21
ADQ K9

Working on the newer trucks, I think an investment in a 2 post lift would be a wise decision, if you have the space for it. From what I understand its pretty easy to pull the cab on the Fords.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Thinking way back to my younger days (actually reminiscing about the past) I remember times before we owned a house with a garage, in Colorado, during a snow storm, crawling into the engine bay of my old Dodge truck, pulling the hood down as far as possible while crouching over that 360 CU IN engine to change the points or distributor or to do other "top end stuff" to get it running or keep it running.

These days, things have changed A LOT !!!!! Gone is the ability to even "hover over the engine bay" in most vehicles, there aren't any points or distributor and the parts that "keep it running" are located in the passenger kick plate, not under the hood....

Honestly, with my "age related stiffness" coupled with my lack of desire to be cold and uncomfortable, I'd just as soon let the Ford guy do the crawling over, under and even into all those "odd places they stick stuff".....

To me, it's even easier to let them change the oil rather than me trying to pour it into gallon jugs, cleaning up what I spill and trying to find a place to dispose of it after I'm done......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Thinking way back to my younger days (actually reminiscing about the past) I remember times before we owned a house with a garage, in Colorado, during a snow storm, crawling into the engine bay of my old Dodge truck, pulling the hood down as far as possible while crouching over that 360 CU IN engine to change the points or distributor or to do other "top end stuff" to get it running or keep it running.

These days, things have changed A LOT !!!!! Gone is the ability to even "hover over the engine bay" in most vehicles, there aren't any points or distributor and the parts that "keep it running" are located in the passenger kick plate, not under the hood....

Honestly, with my "age related stiffness" coupled with my lack of desire to be cold and uncomfortable, I'd just as soon let the Ford guy do the crawling over, under and even into all those "odd places they stick stuff".....

To me, it's even easier to let them change the oil rather than me trying to pour it into gallon jugs, cleaning up what I spill and trying to find a place to dispose of it after I'm done......
Same here!
Not so much that I can't do it anymore, but just don't want to anymore. Especially if crawling underneath is required, it's sure a LONG way up from the floor nowadays
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Same here!
Not so much that I can't do it anymore, but just don't want to anymore. Especially if crawling underneath is required, it's sure a LONG way up from the floor nowadays
You got that right !!! I used to sit up on the creeper and then stand up. Now days, it's roll to my side, push up to a sitting position, then roll again to get on my knees and then hold onto something to stand up.... Funny that I don't have the same problems standing up in the boat when fishing, cleaning and dragging a deer or even when getting out of the Slingshot.... But it sure is tough to get off a creeper

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Under a vehicle or a trailer, that creeper is a pain to get on to or off of.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #26
travelin texans

Bought 1 creeper & got rid of it very soon after, too much moving around when working on anything that was extremely tight. A blue tarp was much to slide around under than the creeper.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:42 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Yep. And here we are; me, you and all of those like us. At least I've found that I can sort of "roll" with a mat under me, a step stool beside me, various "things" to stabilize myself and pushing against the side of the trailer....then I can actually get upright!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #28
66joej

I guess I kind of have my hand up too. Except I still change the oil in the vehicles. Must be the thriftiness (read cheap) in me. Also must like banging my head under the truck and having oil dripping up my arm.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

I'm constantly growing in my later years. I was 6'3" when I got my draft card (showing my age there!) and each morning when I goto tie my shoes it seems like my feet are farther away. By my estimation I think I'm over 8' tall now.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #30
mhbell

Thumbs down You Got That Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Under a vehicle or a trailer, that creeper is a pain to get on to or off of.
You got that right! I just turned 80 yesterday. Any more I throw a old piece of carpet down to lay on. Easier to roll from out from under the truck or fiver, and get my knees under me to push myself up holding onto something on the side. Getting to where I don't want to do it anymore.
Mel
Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #31
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
You got that right! I just turned 80 yesterday. Any more I throw a old piece of carpet down to lay on. Easier to roll from out from under the truck or fiver, and get my knees under me to push myself up holding onto something on the side. Getting to where I don't want to do it anymore.
Mel
OK Mel I'm turning 80 in a few months. Not liking what you are telling me to look forward to.
By the way happy birthday!

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #32
George1

I am so impressed that you were doing all this yourself. What year is your truck? And what make is your truck
Old 11-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1 View Post
I am so impressed that you were doing all this yourself. What year is your truck? And what make is your truck
It’s a 1994 Ford F-350. My previous TV was a 1986 Ford F-250! With a 460 carbureted engine that I modified to get a whole bunch of HP from.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

I hear ya! In my youth I've crawled out from under my Gran Torino with the tranny on my chest. Those days are long gone. I'm only 64 but when I was 22 as a passenger in a '64 Mercury Comet had by back broke (crushed L1,L2 &L3) broke my right pelvis into 3 Pieces. Then a simple fall in 1980 resulted in 6 surgeries on left shoulder/arm and 6 cervical spine surgeries. Waiting now on number 7 on the neck for a spinal cord stimulator. When I was a kid my uncle had his own car repair business. He would always say "it's not the age it's the mileage" when referring to a vehicles condition. I think it applies to people as well. I'm not that old but I'm definitely "high mileage". I still change my own oil/filters and do brake replacement but that's about it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ll be 62 in May. Spent this morning in 40 degree weather taking the upper manifold off an “00 Chevy van to change a fuel pressure regulator. NOT fun anymore LOL.
Years ago I had to change head gaskets on the step sons suburban with a 454. 17 degrees, I used a reddy heater blowing up under the engine compartment and only froze when I reached back for a tool out of the box. No room in the garage.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I hear ya! In my youth I've crawled out from under my Gran Torino with the tranny on my chest. Those days are long gone. I'm only 64 but when I was 22 as a passenger in a '64 Mercury Comet had by back broke (crushed L1,L2 &L3) broke my right pelvis into 3 Pieces. Then a simple fall in 1980 resulted in 6 surgeries on left shoulder/arm and 6 cervical spine surgeries. Waiting now on number 7 on the neck for a spinal cord stimulator. When I was a kid my uncle had his own car repair business. He would always say "it's not the age it's the mileage" when referring to a vehicles condition. I think it applies to people as well. I'm not that old but I'm definitely "high mileage". I still change my own oil/filters and do brake replacement but that's about it.
I think people have "mileage" sort of like vehicles; some are pretty tame...like grandma driving a car, some are like junior ripping the tranny, smoking the tires and blowing the engine. Like you, ending up in terrible accidents and left unconscious, broken this and that, car wrecks etc., and, as simple as it sounds, falling down the side of the mountain at our vacation home, leaves one somewhat unable to do what used to be normal. I would never have dreamed that a rock bar slipping and me falling down the side of the mountain by our guest house would result in shoulder damage - I was always a "strength" kind of guy. Instead, now a year later, I'm still unable to do what I used to do. A torn rotator cuff and ruptured bicep tendon sure put the slow down on just "getting it done". So, I would say to all of you moving along in years; be careful, those little things that you used to just blow off don't go away so quick any more, and some, don't go away at all. I was, and always have been, "high mileage", but I'm really trying to cut that back...I hope.

Edit: tranny on the chest! Once upon a time I did the same thing for a friend and don't recall it was such a big thing....just let it drop. I'm afraid now someone would have to get a winch, and pull the vehicle and tranny off of me because I would just be stuck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:36 AM   #37
mazboy

I'd love to be able to do my own repairs but no such luck. thank god i have the money when i need it done.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:42 AM   #38
Dave W

Getting a chuckle while reading this. While I don't do much to the diesel engine or even the car any longer except raise the hood and acknowlede that, yep, it does have an engine - and don't even dump the 13 quarts of oil out of the truck since the local dealership will rotate the tires along with the change for a hundred bucks, 40 for the Escape, I still do everything on my '31 Ford street rod, finished in 2010 including a 100% engine overhaul a couple years ago after a stuck throttle pedal rpm excursion from a broken motor mount - and I'm in my high 70s age wise.

Start to finish with lots of steps and parts between:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2564.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	19261   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2598.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	19262   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0189.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	19263   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1550.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	19264  
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #39
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Getting a chuckle while reading this. While I don't do much to the diesel engine or even the car any longer except raise the hood and acknowlede that, yep, it does have an engine - and don't even dump the 13 quarts of oil out of the truck since the local dealership will rotate the tires along with the change for a hundred bucks, 40 for the Escape, I still do everything on my '31 Ford street rod, finished in 2010 including a 100% engine overhaul a couple years ago after a stuck throttle pedal rpm excursion from a broken motor mount - and I'm in my high 70s age wise.

Dave I've complimented you before but have to say again NICE JOB!
Did too many old Mustangs to count but always seemed to stay stock with them. Drawn to the street rods at shows and now wonder why I never did one. Counting on Shirley Maclaine being right so I'll do one next time around.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 11-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #40
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post

Great another hot rodder. These are mine. A friend and I built the purple one and I bought the roadster and changed a few things to make it mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0385 (6).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	19266   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040260.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	19267  
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front