Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
texhater42

Adding a backup camera

Hi all,

I have a 2008 Tundra, and I'm in the process of adding one of those license plate backup cams (cam)

I saw this on the YouTube saying I should wire it to have constant power to the camera (whether you're in reverse or not). What are your opinions on this? Seems like it would shorten the life span of a very cheap camera.

Has anyone else added something similar to their vehicle? Did you just go through the reverse light for power and ground? Thanks in advance
Passport 2400BH
E-2 WDH
Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

texhater42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Tbos

Mine was added on and is only powered in reverse. They took the power feed straight off the wires at the bottom of the dash.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
KimNTerry

I added a high center mount camera that is always on. On my previous Truck I had an always on rear facing observation camera attached to the license plate. (switchable from the truck to the back of the trailer.)

Camera on previous truck was a 20 dollar cheapy that lasted more than 3yrs. Sadly, It did not survive being uninstalled. New camera is working great so far and is also a $15 cheapy. If I have to replace every year so what?

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
texhater42

So, here's what I did...

I ran the RCA cable to my dvd stereo. The RCA cable had to pigtails on either end. At the head unit I spliced into the radio power (red wire) and plugged RCA into "BC in", on the other end of the RCA (next to actual camera) I used the pigtail to splice into the "power harness" (it has a positive and a ground, and plugs into the camera for power). So the camera "has" 12v at all times. I then ran a separate wire from my reverse lights to the "reverse trigger" on my radio (purple wire).

Everything appears to be hooked up correctly, and when I go to reverse the radio flips to the screen for the camera (I assume this because it says "Images may appear in reverse" along the top), and when I go to drive or or Park the screen goes away and I go back to the regular radio screen so the reverse trigger is working. My problem is I am not getting any video from the camera, just a black screen. Anyone have or seen this issue? I have a Pioneer AVh-3200DVD head unit and a Pyle PLCM7500 camera. I have the 'camera polarity' option set to "battery". There are no indicator lights on the camera itself so I have no way of knowing whether it's getting power or not just by looking at it.
Passport 2400BH
E-2 WDH
Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

texhater42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
GMcKenzie

I've had 3 cameras in the past couple of trucks. Best option (in my opinion) is one where you can switch it on or off at the dash and forget about it coming on in reverse. Just turn it on when needed.

My last one (Edge setup on a 2001 GMC Diesel) allowed me to override the reverse thing and turn it on when I wanted to. Made hooking up easier for me if I was trying to line up better while in drive.

Current truck only comes on in reverse and I wish I could change that easily.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote