Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
skydiverchuck

Backing your 5th wheel.

I am a new owner of a 39 foot 5th wheel, we move up from a 21ftTT. How long it did it take you to become proficient at backing your 5the wheel. I'm practicing but still struggling to get use to it, especially in tight spots. Any advice?
skydiverchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:06 AM   #2
Desert185

Watch where the 5ers wheels are going (instead of the rear of the trailer) and practice a lot.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:43 AM   #3
chris199

Takes a while. Moved up from a 32 ft TT to a 41.5 ft 5er. Im getting better but getting there. Have had it since April and haved used it often.

Definitely takes more space to pivot and that can be a challenge sometimes.

I think I am learning that the trick is getting it going in the right direction with an opposite turn of the truck wheels but I can straighten out much sooner than I did with the TT.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:55 AM   #4
Pull Toy

Don't be afraid to pull forward to straighten it out if you get in trouble. Professional drivers do it all of the time.

Mostly just take it to an open area, and practice, practice, practice. Pastic milk jugs make good pylons, and no harm, no foul if you run one over.

Good Luck... and enjoy the new rig!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:00 AM   #5
Rex1vt

bbacking your fifth wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverchuck View Post
I am a new owner of a 39 foot 5th wheel, Any advice?
Go to www.loveyourrv.com menu item rv tips archive and you will find one titled 'How I back---", also a very good one on lubricating your unit in particular.You will also find a lot more interesting items by this full timer.Good Luck.
Rex1vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:40 AM   #6
bsmith0404

I can't really say how long it took since I've been backing trailers since I was a kid, but each time I stepped to a larger trailer it took a few attempts to learn the new characteristics. the biggest thing I've learned is to be sure to give the front of your TV plenty of room to swing. As already mentioned, watch the tires, I always find it easier to place the trailer if I'm backing onto boards.

Finally, and probably most important, don't forget about the swing on the longer trailer. That back end will go out a lot more than you expect. It doesn't hurt to go into a parking lot somewhere, line up with lines, do a tight turn, stop half way through and go look at how much the rear end has swung out just to give you a visual reference.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
KYFamily

This is my 7th season with a fiver. Everytime I think I'm getting good I end up looking like an idiot. Just take your time.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Harleyhop

Take it slow and easy. As they have said in the previous post watch your wheels not the rear it's much easier to visualize where it's going. Also don't try to over compensate turning into the turn. Again slow and easy. I've been pulling a TT for 25 yrs and the fiver for the last 5. It did take some time to get used to! Have fun! Happy Camping
Old 07-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #9
theeyres

I had a professional driver help me into a space and I learned a lot. When you get your fiver lined up, then crank the steering wheel hard. Start backing in, then stop. Straighten your wheels on the truck, pull forward a little bit, then crank hard and go back, then straighten and pull forward a little. Works every time. Just take your time and work you way in. This guy got me in a space over 90 degrees. Never thought I could do it.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #10
rhagfo

Well the best advice i can give you is to steer from the bottom of the steering wheel, and push the direction you want the rear of the 5er to go.
I pull close to the side I want to back into, then pull forward a bit more than I expect.
Once the 5er starts going the way you want start returning the wheel to straight ahead. You don't wand the 5er to get too far into the turn before you start to straighten out.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:16 AM   #11
WaltBennett

Went from a 28' and short bed truck to our 38' Monty with long bed, full crew cab truck. I've found the 5er is much easier to back up, but it still is more a function of how much you've been doing it. We go on a short trip each spring and it usually takes me three or so tries to get backed into our narrow driveway (off a narrow street!). Last year after coming back from our 9 week trip to the southwest, I backed it right in on the first try.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #12
jlarocca

I used to think I was good at backing trailers until I got my current setup. I'm constantly having to pull forward and straighten out. I can't get this thing to swing to save my life. Maybe because I'm in a short wheel base truck. I used to have a 40ft Triple Axle 5'er that I pulled with a long bed dually and I could put that rig where ever I wanted it to go no problems. I now have a short bed 3/4 ton and 36ft 5er and I look like an idiot every time. I have tried practicing from my street into my driveway and changing the starting angles, and the unit never seems to respond the same way everytime. I'm into my 3rd year with this rig and have not gotten any better. I hope you have better luck than I am with your rig!
jlarocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #13
pawpaw

What seems like in a previous life (43) yrs ago I started driving tanker trucks hauling fuel in the New Orleans area. Lots of tight locations to get into on a daily basis so backing up a 5th wheel is almost a piece of cake. When I first started driving it took me a while to get use to backing up a trailer. Take it slow when backing...always try to back in from the drivers side and practice as often as possible. Axles on campers are set towards the center so watch out for the rear swinging wide. Always check and double check your connections before hitting the road and limit your road speed in case of having to make an emergency move.