Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
skydiverchuck

okay, another stupid question. about dumping

I have the 2015 raptor with the main bathroom and a half bath in the garage. Is there a separate set of handles for dumping the rear bathroom or is there only one set that controls all of it. Thanks. Sorry for the stupid questions but the wife and I are taking it out tomorrow and I want things to go well.

Also, what do you put in your take to stop it from smelling, well, bad and how and how often do you use it. We will be using our RV about 2 weekends a month on average.

Thanks
skydiverchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:39 AM   #2
EricLynnAllison

You should have another set of handles between your wheels. It's probably unseen and hard to reach.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
jsmith948

As for what to put in the tank: After dumping, we add two or three cap fulls of Downy Fabric Softeneer and a cup of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Then three bowls full of water.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
{tpc}

So what we do is after dumping I will add another packet of "stuff" we use the toilet packets you can buy, and about 4 gallons or so of water. Usually this occurs at the stop at home, prior to dropping off at the storage place, so it gets a chance to slosh around. But if I forget it happens there.

We have only had to deal with "smell" once, and that was after the first time we used the trailer...and we didn't use the above method.

I think the key for us is in the summer months when it is hot, if the water evaporates...thats when your most likely to have the smell factor. So I try not to forget to add some in there.

I will say with no water in there over the winter, I was surprised that there was no smell when I was unwinterizing the unit. I did try to do an extra special good cleaning job on the tank however.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:14 AM   #5
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverchuck View Post
I have the 2015 raptor with the main bathroom and a half bath in the garage. Is there a separate set of handles for dumping the rear bathroom or is there only one set that controls all of it.
Thanks
You are going to have 4 separate handles, a grey/black on either side of the dump pipe. They are hard to see, you basically have to get on your knees and lean/look under to locate. The set for the 1/2 bath and kitchen is located under the fridge/stove slide...easier to get to with the slide in! I am planning on putting a couple of small pieces of tape on the lower fender skirt (Grey and Black) to help with location. Also, beware, while on mine, only one set was labeled, they were labeled backwards and not directly over the handles themselves.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverchuck View Post

Also, what do you put in your take to stop it from smelling, well, bad and how and how often do you use it. We will be using our RV about 2 weekends a month on average.

Thanks
When I had a motorhome I used those chemical packets with limited success for smell control. I would end up adding another packet before we had a chance to dump the tank. It had no provision for black tank flush.

Now that we have a trailer, we use a half cup of Dawn (purchased at the Dollar Store, BTW) and a bit of water softener, if I remember. I also use the black tank flush system for three cycles of closing the dump valve for three minutes. All this has resulted in no odors. We don't add any "sweeteners" of any sort between dumps like we did with the motorhome.

After the dump cycle is complete, I close the dump valve and continue to run the black tank flush for 90 seconds to put some water in the tank. I then squirt the Dawn into the toilet while flushing the toilet. I don't know if there's a carved in stone procedure for this, but what we do works for us.

Edit add on: If we fulltime for a few month period, I don't always use the black tank flush, three cycle procedure. Time permitting, I'll only do it every other time.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote