Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
BlueThunder34

2017 Chain Location

Hey All, I recently upgraded to a new 2017 Super Duty Diesel. Any of you other 2017+ Super Duty owners have an issue with the new location and design of the chain attachment points? It is about impossible to get them to connect properly due to the narrow hole in addition to the ledge the protrudes into the hole. I can take a picture but Im sure other owners have encountered this. What have you done to properly secure the chains to the truck?

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
bobbecky

Our truck is a Chevy, and we occasionally pull a small enclosed trailer. The chain attachment holes below the bumper sound similar to ours, and the hooks with the safety latch on them will not connect in these holes. I decided to install a couple of chain repair lap links, one in each hole, and now connect the trailer chain hooks to the closed links. I purchased them at a local hardware store. https://www.mfrexpress.com/38-repair...ted-p-404.html
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
BlueThunder34

Great idea, thanks!
Old 10-27-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Pay close attention to that type of "chain link"!!!!! The ones in the link are rated at 1250 pounds working strength. While they're probably OK for a light utility trailer, they aren't suitable for anything much heavier than 1000 pounds or so. Even with two of them on a thousand pound trailer, with the jerking, bouncing and chain reaching its end of travel, they may not hold....

Certainly, they aren't suitable for a 6000 pound travel trailer. Chances are they would bend/snap under the weight of the trailer pulling against them if it did ever uncouple.

There are some chain links that will work for many situations, but these aren't an alternative for use with a travel trailer !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
slow

I got tired of fighting the chain connection to my 2015 f250. I installed two 5/8" 7,100 each rated shackles on my receiver and clip the chains to each shackle. Loctited (red) the threaded pin.

They are like these (but with nuts and cotter pins):
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...le/A-p3800391e
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Those are much more robust and would work much better (and safer) with a heavy RV. My only concern would be the "clank, rattle, ding" with every bump. Otherwise, probably a much easier and safer alternative.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #7
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
......... My only concern would be the "clank, rattle, ding" with every bump. ...............
Hitched there is no noise. Unhitched, only on big bumps, but since so far back it is hardly noticeable in the cab.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I use 3/4" shackles on my Jeep for various things. They are rated at over 9k lbs. working load. I always worry about the threaded ends coming loose but I also use Loctite on them. I think they would provide a much safer attachment than the repair links listed above.....and they are easy to put on/take off.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
....... I always worry about the threaded ends coming loose but I also use Loctite on them. ...........f.
I should have mentioned that the version I use has a nut and cotter pin as well to secure the pin. I just have not found a link with that configuration, which I prefer.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 10-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I should have mentioned that the version I use has a nut and cotter pin as well to secure the pin. I just have not found a link with that configuration, which I prefer.

Yes, I've seen those and prefer them. It was what I was looking for when I put those on the Jeep but couldn't find them.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #11
mtlineman2010

Quote:
I have a set similar to yours but I think they are rated to 16k or more...They are off a transmission line we were building and used on the guy wires. I use them on the front of my grille guard.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
AirLift LoadLifter 5000s & WirelessOne Compressor
mtlineman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
mtlineman2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlineman2010 View Post
I have a set similar to yours but I think they are rated to 16k or more...They are off a transmission line we were building and used on the guy wires. I use them on the front of my grille guard.

I am poor at guessing while sitting on the thinking throne. Says 50k pin or 60k with the right bolt.

AirLift LoadLifter 5000s & WirelessOne Compressor
mtlineman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
BlueThunder34

Good points in the weight ratings. I can’t imagine what the engineers were thinking when they designed this.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I was in town this morning, stopped by the Ford dealership on the way back (the coffee is usually fresh right after lunch) and checked out the 2017 trailer hitch. It is significantly different from my 2015 (who'da thunk). The chain holes are no longer diagonal but horizontal. I mentioned that to one of the sales people that I visit. He said, "Come on, let me show you how easy it is to connect"... We walked out with a "spring guard hook" and he slipped it onto the hitch without a problem. He showed me the "right way" to connect them..... He placed it behind the hitch hole horizontally (length wise, aligned with the hole) with the spring hinge toward the side of the truck. He pulled it forward and as the hook entered the hole, rotated the spring hinge down. The hook throat slipped into the hole and the spring clip closed. "easy peasy"

Now, that said, without enough clearance in the hook throat, they probably would bind. I'd think it's probably easier to just find two hooks that work and install them permanently rather than listen to the rattle of the shackles. Of course, it's pretty much a personal preference, to each his own......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
Tbos

On my 2016 I have to approach the holes from the side and sneak up on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #16
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I was in town this morning, stopped by the Ford dealership on the way back (the coffee is usually fresh right after lunch) and checked out the 2017 trailer hitch. It is significantly different from my 2015 (who'da thunk). The chain holes are no longer diagonal but horizontal. I mentioned that to one of the sales people that I visit. He said, "Come on, let me show you how easy it is to connect"... We walked out with a "spring guard hook" and he slipped it onto the hitch without a problem. He showed me the "right way" to connect them..... He placed it behind the hitch hole horizontally (length wise, aligned with the hole) with the spring hinge toward the side of the truck. He pulled it forward and as the hook entered the hole, rotated the spring hinge down. The hook throat slipped into the hole and the spring clip closed. "easy peasy"

Now, that said, without enough clearance in the hook throat, they probably would bind. I'd think it's probably easier to just find two hooks that work and install them permanently rather than listen to the rattle of the shackles. Of course, it's pretty much a personal preference, to each his own......

Did you happen to see what type of clevis hook, and the size the dealership used? My trailer came with some standard looking hooks, stamped with 5/16. They will barely hook over both plates, but don't allow the safety clip to close. I thought of trimming the clip down some as an option.

I looked at every local hardware store and some of the chain auto parts stores for a better option yesterday. No luck. I am going to try the ranch stores and NAPA, in the morning.

It sure looks like Curt makes many options, I just don't see them in any stores here locally (thus far).
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #17
madmaxmutt

So . . . Today I spent nearly the entire morning at Tractor Supply, Lowes, Big R, NAPA, local hitch shop, etc . . . Not really a surprise, but there were no hooks between 5/16 and 3/8. The 5/16 only hooks without the safety clip. The 3/8 actually will hook and clip, but will not rotate freely in the opening. It is too thick an runs into the actual hitch frame.

After that madness, I drove to the Ford dealer and asked what gives. They had zero clue. When I showed them, they thought it was dumb. However, they have no answers or suggestions.

I will clarify that this does NOT effect he 22K hitch. It does effect the 15K hitch. I didn't see one on the lot with the 18K hitch. The 22K hitch has a larger plate with larger holes, which kind of makes sense. Whatever idiot engineer Ford let loose on this hitch should have to fix every one of them.

I am going to try the local trailer place that virtually everyone recommended when they open next week. This is just ridiculous.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
KSH

If you have a rigging supply store around I would check there.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #19
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
If you have a rigging supply store around I would check there.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
I will check that out. I did what I hope is a temporary fix today. I cut off 1/8" of the tab that closes the hook. Then I ground the outside of the hook enough to rotate down inside the hole.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the picture you posted about crossing your chains, those hooks look almost like the ones the local Ford dealer had. Maybe his were a bit more elongated, but very close to what you're using. It looks, from that picture, that they fit the slots about as good as you're going to get. Next time I'm at the dealership, I'll get a brand on the hook he had, but it won't be this week, too much to do to get ready for "deep snow".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS