Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #1
gregm2k

California 2018

We are planning to go West next year to tour CA, AZ, NV, UT and hit the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque on the way home. With the horrible fires that have ravaged California this summer we are wondering if next year might be too soon to go there. Does anyone out west have any thoughts on this? We really wanted to spend some time in wine country. Thanks!

-- 2017 Cougar 327RLK
-- 2017 F-250 4x4 6.7L
gregm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Mikesamoose

I can speak to the wine country piece. I live in Napa and my family and I were evacuated as a result of the Atlas fire. Thankfully our neighborhood was spared but it came close (within 500 feet). As for the valley, it was largely left untouched by the fires. The wineries are open and welcoming guests. The restaurants and other amenities are all functioning. Even the air quality has improved.

There were some areas mainly around the Silverado Country Club and some areas north of Calistoga that were hit hard and will take some time to recover. In terms of the RV parks there are two here in the city of Napa, the Napa Valley Expo and Skyline park both are open. However the fire burned much of the back country at Skyline. By next year only the burnt trees will be there the grasses will have grown in. The Expo was the incident command camp and was untouched.

Even now you can see that the hills on both sides of the valley are black from the fires that burned but that will change by next year as new growth takes place. I would say today the best thing that a person could do for our county is to come and enjoy the hospitality that we are known for. It will boost our economy and allow for those who were impacted to rebuild.
Mikesamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
jsmith948

We are currently far from California - but, keep in mind there is more than one "wine country". The central coast wine industry is giving the Napa/ Sonoma area some good competition. If you were to stay in the Paso Robles, CA, there are many fine wineries in the area. I would recommend Wine Country RV Park on SR 46 or The Vines RV Park out on US 101. They are building a new upscale RV park near Questa College that might be finished by next fall. Not trying to put the Napa area down - just thought you might not be aware of the central coast wineries.
BTW - make your reservations NOW for the Balloon Fiesta!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
fatcatzzz

You might want to take a look at the Shenandoah Valley area in the beautiful foothills of the Sierra Nevada's. California is a large state and has several wine areas up and down the state.
http://www.americanwineryguide.com/r...-ava-wineries/
Also check out Ironstone Wineries, just down the road in Murphys, CA. Good wine and a 44 pound gold nugget on display.
https://www.ironstonevineyards.com/

Hope this helps
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #5
KSH

I personally liked Paso Robles over Napa.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesamoose View Post
I can speak to the wine country piece. I live in Napa and my family and I were evacuated as a result of the Atlas fire. Thankfully our neighborhood was spared but it came close (within 500 feet). As for the valley, it was largely left untouched by the fires. The wineries are open and welcoming guests. The restaurants and other amenities are all functioning. Even the air quality has improved.

There were some areas mainly around the Silverado Country Club and some areas north of Calistoga that were hit hard and will take some time to recover. In terms of the RV parks there are two here in the city of Napa, the Napa Valley Expo and Skyline park both are open. However the fire burned much of the back country at Skyline. By next year only the burnt trees will be there the grasses will have grown in. The Expo was the incident command camp and was untouched. I

Even now you can see that the hills on both sides of the valley are black from the fires that burned but that will change by next year as new growth takes place. I would say today the best thing that a person could do for our county is to come and enjoy the hospitality that we are known for. It will boost our economy and allow for those who were impacted to rebuild.
Hopefully, Stag’s Leap, who makes a nice Petite Syrah, was untouched. (I used to live in Napa).
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I personally liked Paso Robles over Napa.
El Dorado County is coming along nicely in the wine world, too.

https://www.reversewinesnob.com/2013...ado-syrah.html
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
Mikesamoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Hopefully, Stag’s Leap, who makes a nice Petite Syrah, was untouched. (I used to live in Napa).
According to their facebook page Stags Leap survived. The fire burned past Yountville crossroad on Silverado Trail putting them in the path.
Mikesamoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #9
gregm2k

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and recommendations. We have really been looking forward to visiting CA and will stick to our plans. DW 'braved' the bourbon trail thru KY this summer with me so it’s only fair that I take her for some great wines :-)
Travel safe!

-- 2017 Cougar 327RLK
-- 2017 F-250 4x4 6.7L
gregm2k is offline   Reply With Quote