Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
buzzcop63

Goodyear Endurance Radials

In the November 2017 issue of Trailer Life on page 6 their is a letter of the month, entitled "Best Trip Ever" in which the owner of 2006 Keystone Laredo fifth-wheel put on 5,200 miles on the new Goodyear Endurance radials. The writer sated "this was one of the best trips ever" with his 32' fiver using the new made in USA tires. Since I had mine mounted I have put on 830 miles with confidence and no problems. Please post if you to have tried the new Goodyear Tire!
Old 10-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
xrated

I'm having trouble believing that a set of trailer tires could turn it into "One of The Best Trips Ever"......unless he has had a history of lots of tire trouble/blowouts on his other trips. Oh well, I guess it helps sell trailer tires.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree, Vern. Camping World did (and I believe still does) consider itself an "exclusive Goodyear tire dealer". They market the Goodyear tires for recreational vehicles extensively in Trailer Life magazine and in their "bulk mail exclusives".... I read that "letter to the editor" a couple of days ago and thought the same as you. That poor guy has had some significantly terrible experiences with his trailer if a new set of tires was the reason this trip was "the best trip ever"...

A couple of other "seems fishy to me" comments he made were, "I received the August Trailer Life with the "Made in America" write-up on these tires and went right out and bought four for the trip." Also, his mechanical abilities are astounding. He says, "I noticed one of the shackles on the leaf springs had broken...so I installed the Dexter E-Z Flex kit with heavy duty shackles, bolts and equalizers. It took about four hours in my driveway, and all was done."

Thinking back, it took me 4 hours to find all the tools, blocks, jacks and get the trailer "blocked and chocked" so I could start removing shackles.... Total time for me, (I guess I'm extremely slow) was much closer to 8 hours plus "get ready/cleanup time".....

Anyway, it seems "fishy" to me that CW prints that letter with a big blue circle (attention getter) as the "letter of the month" and it's about tires and suspension kits that they sell "exclusively".....

Maybe it's legit, I can't say it isn't, but..... "best trip ever" ??????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know how wonderful the new Endurance tires are but I read the article as well and thought much the same thing. I like new tires as much as anybody but I don't think they will make any of my trips "the best trip ever" unless, as was said, I have been mortified every second of previous trips worrying about catastrophic tire failure. Yep, I sort of put it on ignore. I'm hoping the new American made tire is going to be a great thing but I'm afraid I wouldn't hang my hat on that letter. - just yet.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

There used to be a comedy routine that started out like, hey Buckey, what's bothering you? Kind of reminds me of this letter. Here's the link to the routine.

https://youtu.be/Qty7IP8wlXM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #6
CaptnJohn

I'm sticking to Sailun DS637 tires......

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:20 AM   #7
gary31

I added the Goodyear Endurance to my TH back in august. I have not pulled it on any long trips since they were installed. I do Know the Trailer Kings that came installed were about 3 years old and had 3k miles. one of these were wearing weird and concerened me about blow out so I replaced them all.

Enjoying the Grandkids like No Tomorrow!
-----------------------------------------------
2015 Carbon 31
2013 F250 CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel
2005 Honda Rancher & 2017 RZR 900S
gary31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 AM   #8
xrated

My Trailer Kings (on the T.H. when I bought it new), stayed on there long enough to tow it home (375 miles), and then the 15 miles or so to Discount Tire to have my Maxxis 8008s installed. I brought them home with me and put them on Craigslist and sold all four of them for $150 to a guy that was putting them on a heavy duty flat bed trailer that he used around his farm and local stuff. He was happy to get them and I was thrilled to get RID of them.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
hornet28

I only have just over 1400 mi. on my Goodyears but so far everything is fine.
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #10
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
My Trailer Kings (on the T.H. when I bought it new), stayed on there long enough to tow it home (375 miles), and then the 15 miles or so to Discount Tire to have my Maxxis 8008s installed. I brought them home with me and put them on Craigslist and sold all four of them for $150 to a guy that was putting them on a heavy duty flat bed trailer that he used around his farm and local stuff. He was happy to get them and I was thrilled to get RID of them.
Thankfully my Montana easily holds the Sailun S637 LR G tires but when I bought the Cougar the Trailer Kings went 43 miles from the dealer to the tire shop. Those LR E tires were changed to Carlisle LR F. If in that position today I would do the same. It will take about 5 years to see just what reputation the Endurance earns. Hopefully, a great one.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #11
Uncle Dougie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I'm having trouble believing that a set of trailer tires could turn it into "One of The Best Trips Ever"......unless he has had a history of lots of tire trouble/blowouts on his other trips. Oh well, I guess it helps sell trailer tires.
Xrated, Summer of 2016 we bought a 2014 Premier 30REPR that didn't have many miles on the original tires but were date stamped year 13. We wintered in TX and while on a tight fuel stop as I did my walk around, I noticed what I can only explain as extreme deflection of the sidewall of one of the rear tires. Needless to say I drove white knuckled the last 600 miles home, expecting the blowout that thankfully never came. I decided before we headed back to TX this winter that I would invest in Goodyear Endurance tires. They were only available in E rating. Probably over kill for my ultralight but.... When my tire dealer changed the first tire he, as was I, in disbelief in the difference between the Chinese tires and the Goodyear's. It was like comparing paper to steel. As we left for TX this Nov, I had no apprehension or even the slightest concern for tire failure. So yes, I can understand how trailer tires can contribute to the "best trip ever". $600 for great set of tires on a $35000 travel trailer is a no brainier. We went to the SA RV show and I noticed that several brands were offering the Endurance tires as standard equipment. We will be upgrading trailers before our next winter adventure. I can assure you that I will scrap the Chinese tires in favor of Goodyear's. And I totally expect our next time out to be one our best trip ever... again.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
Uncle Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dougie View Post
Xrated, Summer of 2016 we bought a 2014 Premier 30REPR that didn't have many miles on the original tires but were date stamped year 13. We wintered in TX and while on a tight fuel stop as I did my walk around, I noticed what I can only explain as extreme deflection of the sidewall of one of the rear tires. Needless to say I drove white knuckled the last 600 miles home, expecting the blowout that thankfully never came. I decided before we headed back to TX this winter that I would invest in Goodyear Endurance tires. They were only available in E rating. Probably over kill for my ultralight but.... When my tire dealer changed the first tire he, as was I, in disbelief in the difference between the Chinese tires and the Goodyear's. It was like comparing paper to steel. As we left for TX this Nov, I had no apprehension or even the slightest concern for tire failure. So yes, I can understand how trailer tires can contribute to the "best trip ever". $600 for great set of tires on a $35000 travel trailer is a no brainier. We went to the SA RV show and I noticed that several brands were offering the Endurance tires as standard equipment. We will be upgrading trailers before our next winter adventure. I can assure you that I will scrap the Chinese tires in favor of Goodyear's. And I totally expect our next time out to be one our best trip ever... again.

Doug, upgrading tires is ALWAYS a good idea when discussing Chinese blow pops. You say you were at a "tight" fuel stop and noticed extreme deflection in one of your tires. Keep in mind that when you make those "tight" moves to get into a fuel stop you can really twist up the tires on the trailer making them look like the tires/axles etc. are really messed up. The first time I ever saw that I thought something had happened to ruin my tires or suspension. Upon walking around.....and around the trailer I couldn't figure out what the deal was. Pulled out, straightened up and checked again....all good. That was a long time ago on a new trailer and my stomach just went south when I saw that but turned out to be a non issue. Just FYI.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
Uncle Dougie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Doug, upgrading tires is ALWAYS a good idea when discussing Chinese blow pops. You say you were at a "tight" fuel stop and noticed extreme deflection in one of your tires. Keep in mind that when you make those "tight" moves to get into a fuel stop you can really twist up the tires on the trailer making them look like the tires/axles etc. are really messed up. The first time I ever saw that I thought something had happened to ruin my tires or suspension. Upon walking around.....and around the trailer I couldn't figure out what the deal was. Pulled out, straightened up and checked again....all good. That was a long time ago on a new trailer and my stomach just went south when I saw that but turned out to be a non issue. Just FYI.
Sourdough, yes I understand that, I have towed heavy equipment off and on for 40 years, just didn't expect the sidewall to deflect that much on such a light trailer. With a hands on comparison of the two tires I was quite surprised at the difference between the two tires. Although, they were different load ratings, the quality and the beefier sidewall and overall weight of the Endurance was quite impressive. I hope to see the quality manufacturers use higher quality tires in the future. I always will be very concerned with safety when I am towing, but the little extra peace of mind is always worth the little extra expenses. Thanks for your input.

Uncle Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dougie View Post
Sourdough, yes I understand that, I have towed heavy equipment off and on for 40 years, just didn't expect the sidewall to deflect that much on such a light trailer. With a hands on comparison of the two tires I was quite surprised at the difference between the two tires. Although, they were different load ratings, the quality and the beefier sidewall and overall weight of the Endurance was quite impressive. I hope to see the quality manufacturers use higher quality tires in the future. I always will be very concerned with safety when I am towing, but the little extra peace of mind is always worth the little extra expenses. Thanks for your input.

I never knew about the weak construction of those tires (OEM) until I saw that deflection. Bad on me, I made a long trip with them then started a 2nd and tore up the trailer. As you, I bought Carlisle Radial HDs and was startled by the weight difference....probably double the weight of the TKs. Yes, they do make for a much more enjoyable towing experience....happy travels.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:45 PM   #15
Alley Cat

Me Too! And to put it in perspective Goodyear Marathons ruined my East coast trip last summer 2 blowouts within 200 miles. Not only the tires but took out both aluminum skirts of my Montana. Regardless of where they are made. they are made to Goodyear's specifications they brought junk to the market and now rename them Endurance.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Al & Donna
2001 F-350 CC, DRW, Diesel...2013 Montana 3750FL

Alley Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #16
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Cat View Post
Me Too! And to put it in perspective Goodyear Marathons ruined my East coast trip last summer 2 blowouts within 200 miles. Not only the tires but took out both aluminum skirts of my Montana. Regardless of where they are made. they are made to Goodyear's specifications they brought junk to the market and now rename them Endurance.
Am I missing something? The Endurance is a completely different tire from the Marathon, from what I have read and seen at Discount Tire.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #17
Alley Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Am I missing something? The Endurance is a completely different tire from the Marathon, from what I have read and seen at Discount Tire.
Yes it is. The name was changed to protect the innocent. Still E rated. Basically they made a mistake with the Marathon . Strike 2?

Al & Donna

Old 01-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #18
madmaxmutt

I would recommend you go physically look at them. They look nothing alike and are rated differently. Marathons are sitting right next to Endurance tires in Discount Tire here.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marathon.png
Views:	149
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	15129Click image for larger version

Name:	Endurance.png
Views:	142
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	15130
Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #19
madmaxmutt

Yup, I think it is pretty much a given that you need tires that meet your requirements. I have no idea Marathon ever had an E rated tire, but Endurance does. My particular size for the last 2 trailers was only available in C rated for the Marathon, but Endurance offers D rated tires in my size.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:20 AM   #20
Alley Cat

I have an endurance tire i bought it in July to replace my first blow-out. You can have it for free as after #2 blow-out even the spare was replaced. Tires and brakes are what manufacturers cheap out on, tires are marginal and brakes are pathetic. Any trailer that needs brakes should have discs and especially once it exceeds 5,000 lbs. Stopping my 22,000 lb unit when descending a steep hill even when attempting to downshift (automatic) puts everyone at risk. My hat is off to those that over build on tires and brakes. My comments are to counter that my Endurance Tires are responsible for the best camping experience I had which is merely an ad for that tire. We can all agree to disagree and still be civil don't take offense.

Al & Donna