Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #1
hdrolling

Campground check-in, whats needed?

From state to state do all campgrounds ask for the same thing to check in?

One camping area here in NC asks for my drivers ID and camper reg.

Another asked for Drivers ID, truck reg, camper reg and insurance cards for both.

Do most campgrounds ask for different things, what do you normally get asked for when checking in?

It's not a big deal but I hate waiting in line and then get asked for something else that I have to run out and get from the truck.

Now I bring everything inside, just curious for what everyone else has experienced.

So places will also give me a discount for being retired military or AAA member so I bring all that in a well.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #2
Tbos

It seems they all dance to their own tune. Some ask for documentation of your animal's shots too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:14 AM   #3
gearhead

Usually just credit card and whatever discount card they take. Some ask for license plate number. Never had one ask for insurance verification.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #4
captcolour

On our trip to CO, I made reservations on line and prepaid at all the parks. I think one park took my credit card info when I checked in. The rest just gave me the site map and I was off. Didn't have to give them anything.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 05:48 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Usually just credit card and whatever discount card they take. Some ask for license plate number. Never had one ask for insurance verification.
As stated above, this is the only info I have been asked for over the 4+ years. If you ask many campsites honor veteran cards ,generally 15%. Have to admit I try to stay at campsites/resorts associated with my memberships.
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
canesfan

Wow, I can't remember ever being asked for anything but maybe my name, credit card and license plate number. Even my local state park, part of a government bureaucracy, doesn't ask for anything more than that.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
notanlines

We have stayed at over 200 RV parks, coast to coast and all through Canada and we have never been asked for an insurance card or dog shot papers. I believe I would be telling them to find another customer. We would be gone. Driver's license and credit card, no more.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
fourfourto

Our Suffolk County Campgrounds requires Dog licence , and rabies shot
some check more than others, one campground copies documents.
I went to many throughout US that banned certain breeds of dogs.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
outwest

Like others, the most I've ever been asked for is drivers license, membership discount card, credit card, and tag numbers. Never have I been asked for insurance cards, registration papers, or papers on the pets. Heck, I don't even carry the registration papers, nor did I carry the papers on pets when they were alive.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

We've never been asked for health documents for our dog (except crossing the borders into Mexico and Canada. We do always carry the documents, you never know when a dog might get attacked by another animal or bite someone (even the most docile ones can be upset in strange environments or when threatened) and you'll need to provide the information.

As for documentation in campgrounds, usually just driver's license, credit card information and occasionally vehicle registration. Seems strange to me they want vehicle license and the trailer is what's going to be parked on their property when you're out sightseeing, but hey, who are we to secondguess them LOL

Recently, I've seen campgrounds asking for more information, things like where do you buy RV supplies, where do you shop, what company has your insurance, etc. I'd suspect that it's their way of determining where to do their advertising and whether to offer discounts for some membership services like USAA or Good Sam or AAA or ????

Why advertise with AAA if you never see anyone who is a member ask for the discount? Same with CW/Good Sam and many others. For the campground, they have to be "inspected and approved" as well as pay a listing fee to be in the GS or AAA booklet listings as well as giving a discount to customers, so if it's not paying off with increased business, why pay the "up front fees" to the company for advertising? Asking customers for that kind of information may just be the campground owner's way of determining where to spend his advertising dollars.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Tbos

FWIW, NDW Solomons Rec center in Solomons MD and Luray VA KOA asked for shot records of the dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

The only thing we are generally asked for is CC (if they take them) and any kind of discount card. Most ask for a cell number. We take our pup's shot record with us in the event anything happens and it would be required. We also take her to a kennel for a week or so at times when we take off from the campground and go stay at a condo or something - they require the shot record. Not sure what a campground would need other than a CC to secure payment and a method to contact you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #13
hankpage
Site Team

Except for the tag number of the truck (no proof of insurance or valid registration) , I have only had to show credit card or fist full of pictures of dead presidents. I have run across restrictions on size, age and convertion busses. Most just want to be sure they get paid.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #14
MattHelm21

Credit card for method of payment, Drivers license for ID, and while making reservations for a CG in NJ, I was asked to bring documentation of the dog's shots upon arrival(rabies and bordetella). I'm not sure if the fact this campground also hosted many seasonal campers made a difference in this regard. I've always known I needed this for border crossings.

Tags
campground