Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My 2015 F250 had the capability for "me" to name up to 5 trailers in the towing section of the truck's computer. I've got four set up: the Cougar, my boat trailer (no brakes), the flatbed I tow my tractor on and my dump trailer. Selecting the trailer will, as MarcS says, automatically adjust the brake control to that trailer, pull up the mileage "memory" for how far that trailer has been towed and apply power to the trailer charge circuit.

This is somewhat different on the "newer trucks". Apparently the truck won't apply power to the charge circuit until the trailer is "introduced to the truck" by tapping the brake pedal to illuminate the trailer lights. I don't know if this is a "one time, first time" requirement or if it's every time the trailer is connected to the truck via the 7 pin connector....

Here's the comment from the Ford Owner's Manual.

*Your vehicle must recognize the trailer before the trailer can receive power.
Recognizing a Trailer
1. Attach the trailer and wiring connector to your vehicle.
2. Switch on your vehicle.
3. Press the brake pedal for a few seconds.
A confirmation message appears in the information display

My truck (a 2015 "dumb truck") doesn't require this action, it automatically applies power to the trailer charge circuit and I have to manually select which trailer is connected, or I can ignore selecting the trailer and it will "track the last trailer selected". I don't know if the "new trucks" automatically select the trailer or if they just don't apply power until after the brake pedal is pressed.....

Anyway, the general concept that (at least in Fords) power to the trailer charge line is disconnected with "key off" and connected with "key on" has been the way they are wired since at least 1993 (the first one I remember for sure disconnected power with the key off).
Ill keep this information stored away in my vast memeroy bank for work. LOL wonder if my trailer emulator will be enough to "trigger" the truck.

note to self: try it the next time a new FORD comes in. TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY TO KEEP UP WITH

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #22
MarcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Ill keep this information stored away in my vast memeroy bank for work. LOL wonder if my trailer emulator will be enough to "trigger" the truck.

note to self: try it the next time a new FORD comes in. TOO MUCH TECHNOLOGY TO KEEP UP WITH
Your trailer emulator will trigger the truck and trailer light, not the brake controller. I think. Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2018, 09:46 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

This is far too complicated for my truck, my Cougar and my "Sunday morning brain".... Like Javi, I'm glad I have a "dumb truck" that can just work like they used to.........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
Your trailer emulator will trigger the truck and trailer light, not the brake controller. I think. Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I will try it and report back.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, tow, tow vehicle