Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #61
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I don't understand some people. I had an incident this morning driving in to work (in my car). I was driving in the left lane when a guy comes up behind me. He starts flashing his lights and then starts to ride my tail. There was a car next to me, so I couldn't get over. I look down and I'm going 62mph in a 55. I wasn't going to speed up, so I tapped my brake just enough to show the brake light .
I gave up the brake check thing, too many crazies with road rage out there
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 09-27-2018, 02:10 AM   #62
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

80? Why? Doing 80 vs doing 70 puts you 10 miles further down the road in an hour. I dont see 10 miles being worth the extra risk. JMO.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 09-27-2018, 05:08 AM   #63
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
80? Why? Doing 80 vs doing 70 puts you 10 miles further down the road in an hour. I dont see 10 miles being worth the extra risk. JMO.
Or the extra fuel usage, at least in my setup.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:11 AM   #64
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Was passing an 18 wheeler one time and the DW excitedly says "look at that ***hole texting while driving a truck!" IMHO that's pretty stupid and scary as heck.
^^^^Unfortunately this is becoming much more common with OTR truck drivers and should be another stupid act that requires a felony charge. We were following a semi the other day and I started watching him a long way back. He was all over the road, over the white stripe, across the center stripe just swaying everywhere. I told DW here is one we have to watch...there's something wrong with this guy. I waited until it seemed like he had it under control a bit and tried to hurriedly get by him. As I did I told DW to look at him and see what was wrong but I was able to look as well. He was driving that truck about 75 mph with the back of one hand on the wheel as it held a smartphone tapping on it with his other hand, oblivious to the road and his surroundings. Incompetence at its finest.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #65
spade117

My opinion is texting and driving is more dangerous than drunk driving.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #66
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
My opinion is texting and driving is more dangerous than drunk driving.
+1

Most people I see driving down the road do not seem to have the mental capacity for driving, never mind multi-tasking behind the wheel

Phones are smart? maybe they should be smart enough to limit what you can do on them, when they are moving at 75 miles an hour?

Sadly, the authorities have to pull your phone records, after the fact to see that you were texting when you crashed and killed that family in the minivan.

The in-dash nav system on our F150 limits what you can interactively do through the screen at any speed above a roll, voice commands only at that point.

-Brian
Old 09-27-2018, 07:01 AM   #67
travelin texans

These "smart" phones today can keep track of you everywhere you go, why can't they tell when you're driving & disable the texting & only activate a hands free mode.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #68
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
These "smart" phones today can keep track of you everywhere you go, why can't they tell when you're driving & disable the texting & only activate a hands free mode.
In most cases, they can be programmed by the manufacturer to limit features or functions based on whether the phone is moving or in one "stopped location". The rub comes from people not buying a phone that won't allow them to use it vs another brand of phone that does, so manufacturers tend to not want to limit their sales by limiting their features.....

Corporate greed??? In this situation, it's pretty clear that few of us want to limit "our capability" but we want "other drivers to pay attention".... No, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, just making a general observation that probably one of the main factors why phones work at high speed is because we "know" we're safe, but the other people on the road may not be, so many of us feel, I'll buy the full feature one, they need the limited feature one.... Manufacturers sell to "us" they don't typically sell to "them"....

I don't imagine phone manufacturers in a competitive environment with other service providers will reduce their features and lose customers, so unless "ALL" phone companies and phone manufacturers limit their features (government mandate/change in the law ???) it's not going to happen.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-27-2018, 07:36 AM   #69
travelin texans

We sure as hell don't need MORE government mandates!!!
Sorry, that almost sounds like a disallowed political statement.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #70
66joej

Most provinces in Canada have what is called a "Distracted Driver" law. Heavy fines, first offence is $543 in BC. Third time licence suspended and vehicle impounded.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 09-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #71
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The phones aren't smart enough to differentiate a driver from a passenger, or a driver from a captive in the trunk being driven around while some jack a$$ withdraws money from ATMs.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #72
Jweems

I tow a 39'+ Montana and on the interstate normally tow at 60-65, and stay in the right hand lane as often as possible. I drive conservatively and allow those in a hurry to pass. Doing so allows me to leave plenty of room ahead for stopping and try to avoid or anticipate sudden or emergency situations.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #73
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The phones aren't smart enough to differentiate a driver from a passenger, or a driver from a captive in the trunk being driven around while some jack a$$ withdraws money from ATMs.
Agreed, I don't know what DW would do if she couldn't be on her phone while I'm driving.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 09-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #74
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Most provinces in Canada have what is called a "Distracted Driver" law. Heavy fines, first offence is $543 in BC. Third time licence suspended and vehicle impounded.
What do they consider "Distracted Driver" my 2001 Ram bought use cam with a Parrot Bluetooth device for total hands free Cell phone use.
Getting ready to install one in DD 2004 3500 Dually. Hit off hook and state name of person I wish to call and call is made.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 09-28-2018, 01:16 AM   #75
C.LeeNick

I haven't pulled the Passport on interstate yet, as the nearest one is about 100 miles away. On good two/four lane state highways, where allowed, 65 seems about right.

In my rural area, which covers parts of four states, there's a lot of what might be deemed "substandard" roads. Rough pavement, narrow lanes, questionable shoulders, mountainous driving to the north. So even getting the opportunity to pull a travel trailer safely at 65 for long stretches isn't all that common.

One state route heading south from here used to be so rough, about ten years ago, that I'm pretty certain the front end of our old Class C motorhome darn near came off the ground in a series of humps about 30 miles south of town. I thought the fiberglass cabover was going to separate from the rest of the vehicle. The stress cracked one of the forward facing fixed glass windows up there above the cab. That little 1/4-1/2 mile section got my adrenaline pumping! Road crews have pretty much leveled out the humps since, but it would be an area where I would probably NOT pull a trailer at the posted 65 MPH speed limit.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:15 AM   #76
kraftee

Quote:
Having said that, this year we encountered some bloody amazing thunderstorms where it was nearly impossible to see 100 yards ahead of the truck. Then I do 35 or less! ... With the flashers on, of course
It is extremely dangerous - and in most states illegal to drive in the rain with your flashers on. Flashers are strictly for warning oncoming cars if you are STOPPED on the shoulder. With flashers on your turn signals do not function properly and it takes fractionally longer for those behind you to notice when you have hit the brakes.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #77
Northofu1

After towing the eastern provinces, 60/ 100km's is my limit on two lane roads, you just can't trust what is up ahead, the moose signs are big down east, the moose are bigger

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Old 09-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #78
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
What do they consider "Distracted Driver" my 2001 Ram bought use cam with a Parrot Bluetooth device for total hands free Cell phone use.
Getting ready to install one in DD 2004 3500 Dually. Hit off hook and state name of person I wish to call and call is made.
Kind of a long winded explanation but better than I could explain.

Overview
Distractions While Driving - Cell Phones and Other Devices
Overview
Rules and Penalties
Resources
Overview
Activities that impact a driver’s ability to focus on the road come in a wide range of forms, from visual distractions inside and outside the vehicle, to cognitive distractions when using electronic devices. In fact, research indicates that drivers fail to process approximately 50 per cent of the visual information in their driving environment when they are using electronic communication devices.

While texting on a communications device is often recognized as the riskiest behaviour, distractions such as seeking for preferred music or attending to personal grooming can significantly divert a driver’s attention. Research has also concluded that telephone conversations are much more distracting than in-vehicle conversations – perhaps because passengers can observe the road, provide warning, adjust conversation tone according to traffic conditions, and the like – while telephone conversations contain fewer pauses and demand greater cognitive resources.

Research evidence has shown that approximately one-quarter of crashes can be attributed to driver distraction: attention being diverted from driving tasks. This can result in significant costs to society, such as: tragic loss of life, serious injuries, health expenses, property damage and insurance rates.

Rules and Penalties
The Motor Vehicle Act, Part 3.1 — Use of Electronic Devices While Driving specifically addresses the use of electronic devices while driving.

The fine for a single distracted driving violation ticket is $368, along with 4 penalty points that will be applied a driver’s record. On a first infraction, these points will also result in a driver paying a further $175 ICBC Driver Penalty Point premium, for a total of $543 for a first infraction.

Drivers who get two or more distracted driving convictions in a three-year period are charged a Driver Risk Premium (DRP), which is billed annually and is separate from any insurance premiums you may have. This amount will increase for each additional conviction.

For example, drivers with two or more convictions for the use of electronics devices while driving over a three-year period could pay as much as $2,000 in penalties - an increase of $740 - in addition to their regular vehicle insurance premium.

Find out more about how much this change will cost repeat offenders.

Distracted driving is also a high risk driving infraction that triggers early intervention and driving prohibitions through the Driver Improvement Program (DIP). Experienced drivers who incur two or more infractions within 12 months will be considered high risk and their driving records will be reviewed by DIP, potentially resulting in a 3-12 month prohibition.

Stricter limitations are imposed on drivers in the Graduated Licensing Program (GLP) as risks are demonstrated to be higher among new and young drivers due to a combination of inexperience, a tendency toward greater risk-taking, and significantly higher than average use of electronic devices – all combined, makes this group of drivers particularly vulnerable. GLP drivers who incur one distracted driving infraction will also be considered high-risk, and will be reviewed by DIP, potentially receiving a 1-6 month prohibition. They may also be subject to longer prohibitions for subsequent infractions.

For GLP drivers, violation tickets can be issued for any electronic distraction, including hands-free devices, and always comes with 4 penalty points. As well, the driving record of any GLP driver with 3 points or more – from distracted driving or other offences – will automatically undergo a review by the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles – see the Driver Improvement Program page for more information. If the Superintendent issues a driving prohibition to a driver in the Novice stage, the 24-month Novice driving period starts over when the prohibition ends and the novice driver gets re-licensed.

Resources
Use of electronics while driving
Distracted Driving Information [CAA]
List of traffic violations with associated fines and penalty points [ICBC]
Also see...
Distracted Driving News Release May 9, 2016

Information Bulletin May 31, 2016

Contact Information
Toll Free:
1 855 387-7747
Office:
250 387-7747
Fax:
250 387-4891
Mailing:
R

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 09-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #79
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In most cases, they can be programmed by the manufacturer to limit features or functions based on whether the phone is moving or in one "stopped location". The rub comes from people not buying a phone that won't allow them to use it vs another brand of phone that does, so manufacturers tend to not want to limit their sales by limiting their features.....

Corporate greed??? In this situation, it's pretty clear that few of us want to limit "our capability" but we want "other drivers to pay attention".... No, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, just making a general observation that probably one of the main factors why phones work at high speed is because we "know" we're safe, but the other people on the road may not be, so many of us feel, I'll buy the full feature one, they need the limited feature one.... Manufacturers sell to "us" they don't typically sell to "them"....

I don't imagine phone manufacturers in a competitive environment with other service providers will reduce their features and lose customers, so unless "ALL" phone companies and phone manufacturers limit their features (government mandate/change in the law ???) it's not going to happen.
The other thing is if it can’t be disabled, is it fair to limit the passenger? Big discussions out here on the left coast about that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #80
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Maybe we should start a new racing series...The RV Nationals
My Chevy Express 2500 Van, Cougar 22RBS, and Huskey WDH tow fast and effortlessly...I catch myself cruising just over 80 mph now and again...I really need to check the speed rating on my tires Up hills are a little slower but man do I get going just before them
Closed Thread

Tags
tow