Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
bomburbear

Is my vent leaking or is it condensation?

How do I fix a dripping ceiling vent? Is it condensation or a roof leak? I sealed all around all of the vents and pipes on the roof with Dicor Lap sealant, but the skylight still slowly drips. The dome of the skylight has a lot of condensation on it, is there a way to stop this from happening?
bomburbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
66joej

Most all sky lights are 2 panels. Maybe you are getting condensation between them. Take the inside one out and see if it still drips. JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Your first sentence says "dripping ceiling vent" and the rest addresses "condensation inside the skylight"...

If your roof vents are dripping, that is a normal occurrence. They are usually single thickness plastic domes with metal framework. The outside cold makes them cooler than the interior air and humidity inside the trailer will collect and condense on those cooler surfaces and cause dripping. You can reduce it by opening each roof vent slightly to create a draft. That will reduce condensation and dripping.

Now, as for the skylight, usually over the shower/tub, it is a two part plastic dome. The top dome is screwed to the RV roof and sealed with DICOR. If undamaged, it should not leak. The interior dome is screwed to the ceiling in the bathroom. There is some open space between the two domes. Usually the RV roof (between the ceiling and the roof surface) is dry and there is no moisture to condense on the top skylight dome. If you're getting condensation, it means there's moisture above the ceiling and below the roof membrane. That may be normal if you have "excess humidity" inside the trailer, it may be abnormal and indicate a leak in the roof with water intrusion into the roof structure that migrates to the skylight dome. Which is it? Hard to tell without some careful inspection.

I'd first suggest you eliminate as much humidity inside the trailer as possible. Turn on the bathroom vent fan, open a window in the opposite end of the trailer, turn on the furnace and let the "air exchange through the vent" help dry out the trailer. Remove the inside skylight dome, do an inspection with a flashlight to see what you can discover. Inspect the entire wall/ceiling surfaces to see if there's any indication of any water damage. Don't forget to open every cupboard and check the wall/ceiling joints inside the cupboards!!!

There should be "very little to no condensation" inside the skylight domes and if there is any, drying the trailer interior "should" eliminate it. If it doesn't I'd play the "be cautious" card and make sure there's nothing leaking on the roof. Better safe than sorry !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
bomburbear

Thank you.

I have taken the inside molding off and it really looks like there are no roof leaks. I was up on the roof last week sealing everywhere I could see that was in need of repair. By the way, I found screws coming through the roof from inside and through the rubber coating in the back where the bunk is. Sealed them,too.
Pretty shoddy workmanship on our 2016 Outback.
Anyways, I think it is all condensation dripping. I will try the drying out technique you suggest.
THANK YOU.
bomburbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Hopefully it'll work for you. Keep us in the loop and report the results. If there's still a problem, we can move forward with other actions, but probably you'll see improvement.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, vent