Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
BigTexRex

22RBS Black Tank Back Flow/Anti Siphon Location

Does anyone know the location of the back flow/anti siphon valve for the black tank flush on a 22RBS?
BigTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #2
busterbrown

If your floor plan is the Cougar 22RBS, my "guess" is that it may be in one of two places:

1. It may be located next to the driver side of the bed, underneath the "night stand" accessible by a removable panel.

2. Or underneath the bathroom sink, maybe behind a removable panel. My Bullet's backflow valve is located here.

These would be my guesses.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I would look under the sink, maybe behind a panel (mine is).

Is your black tank/water connection toward the rear on the driver's side? It might be behind the shower. That's where my neighbor's was a week or so ago when he tried to fix his on his Bighorn. Couldn't reach it so he and the mobile RV tech cut the pipes off under the wall (5th wheel).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
BigTexRex

Thanks, guys. I found it tucked up behind the bathroom sink.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
Steveo57

I've seen the air admittance valve under the bathroom sink. There's also one under the kitchen sink. But I didn't notice the backflow valve. But now that you mention it I remember seeing a few extra lines running up under the sink and wondering why they were there. I didn't crawl in there far enough to see what they were hooked up to. I'll take a peak tomorrow.

Check that air admittance valve is screwed in tight. Mine was barely screwed in a few turns.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 02:07 AM   #6
Pmedic4

Black Tank rinse, back flow preventer

While we have a fifthwheel, ours was under the bathroom sink. Found out when it failed as we'd hooked up to rinse, and water started pouring out from the bathroom vanity.

BTW, went to the local RV dealer, and they wanted $75 for the part, ordered from Walmart for $36. They do fail.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
BigTexRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
I've seen the air admittance valve under the bathroom sink. There's also one under the kitchen sink. But I didn't notice the backflow valve. But now that you mention it I remember seeing a few extra lines running up under the sink and wondering why they were there. I didn't crawl in there far enough to see what they were hooked up to. I'll take a peak tomorrow.

Check that air admittance valve is screwed in tight. Mine was barely screwed in a few turns.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks...yes, both were barely on the pipes.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
BigTexRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
While we have a fifthwheel, ours was under the bathroom sink. Found out when it failed as we'd hooked up to rinse, and water started pouring out from the bathroom vanity.

BTW, went to the local RV dealer, and they wanted $75 for the part, ordered from Walmart for $36. They do fail.
I had one RV were it was installed backwards...water everywhere. I will replace the OEM with this one from Watts: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Watts-07...aker-Lead-Free
Old 03-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #9
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexRex View Post
Does anyone know the location of the back flow/anti siphon valve for the black tank flush on a 22RBS?

I have the same unit, glade you found it! I was not sure where it was either but as I sit here typing this, I’m looking at it.

Out of curiosity... why were you trying to find it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
I have the same unit, glade you found it! I was not sure where it was either but as I sit here typing this, I’m looking at it.

They have a habit of leaking when flushing the black tank. Some people replace them with a better quality one.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
They have a habit of leaking when flushing the black tank. Some people replace them with a better quality one.

I’d be interested in what you replace yours with if you do replace it.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
BigTexRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post

I've had two bad experiences with them on other RVs so I replace it with a Watts LF288A as soon as I can. The first experience, it was installed backwards and leaked several gallons before I noticed. The second time it just leaked.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
ChuckS

I have never used my black tank built in flush. I installed clear backflush with gate valve and clean my tanks that way. I can see when they are clean and I don’t have to worry about anti siphon valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:51 PM   #14
Steveo57

It's tucked up under the bathroom sink good. I haven't had a chance to flush my black tank yet to check it out.

I'm considering just removing it and using a backflow preventer on the hose connection at the docking station. Thats how my last camper was setup with an aftermarket flush system. I don't really see any downside to pulling it out. The only time you're hooked up to the connection is when you're flushing the tank and it's going to be empty then.

I guess if you were flushing the tank and you had the outlet closed and the tank level was covering the tank flush connection and you lost pressure in the flushing water line then you could suck something into the flush hose supply. Those are a lot of what ifs and a backflow preventer on the hose connection would serve to prevent that anyways from what I can see.

Am I missing something?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180321_142140.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	15798

Old 04-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #15
Emptynesters

Are these on all RV's? I have a flush for the black tank that is on the side of my trailer that I put a hose on to clean the black tank. This is my first trailer and am looking for an ed-u-ma-k-shen??? LOL
Emptynesters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Any RV that has a factory installed black tank rinser will have an anti siphon valve. It’s location isn’t always the same, I’ve seen them under the bathroom sink, behind the shower wall, even in a cabinet with lots of other fresh water lines.

They are there to insure the fresh water system your hooked up to doesn’t get contaminated. As long as there is an anti siphon device between the black tank and the rinse water source, your good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #17
Auggie Waterman

I must not be understanding anything here even after re-reading... OK, there's two black flush connections on the passenger side of our fifth wheel (Hideout 308bhds) toward the front. One for each black tank, has 1.5 bathrooms.

I thought a black flush would connnect to a spray nozzle of some sort inside the black tank connected to the toilet, simple. Why would there be a "anti siphon" or backflow preventer or any connection to the other clean water supplies or lines in the trailer??!
Auggie Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #18
BigTexRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Waterman View Post
I must not be understanding anything here even after re-reading... OK, there's two black flush connections on the passenger side of our fifth wheel (Hideout 308bhds) toward the front. One for each black tank, has 1.5 bathrooms.

I thought a black flush would connnect to a spray nozzle of some sort inside the black tank connected to the toilet, simple. Why would there be a "anti siphon" or backflow preventer or any connection to the other clean water supplies or lines in the trailer??!
The anti-siphon is to prevent a possible back flow into the fresh water system you're using to flush the black tank. You're right, the lines do not interconnect with any other fresh water lines in your RV.

Tags
tank