Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
PaKraemer

soft floor on xlite

Help! I have a soft floor on 2016 cougar xlite 21rbs. Bought new in March 2016. New to campers so I thought new was best route to take. Only has a one year warranty and dealer is now out of business. Company not much help. Floor is soft in front of kitchen cabinets about 4' long. No water leaks. I hate to start cutting bottom open and floor has vinyl flooring on it.
PaKraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

If you search using "soft floor", there are threads here that describe the different types of floor construction, I would take the time to read them before cutting into the flooring.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Tbos

Has the floor always had this soft area? If so, it may just not have enough support there.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Frank G

A few years back I had a couple of inches of water in a finished basement. The restoration company had a non-destructive moisture tester they surveyed the walls with to determine the amount of moisture inside the walls.

Good Luck.
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Desert185

If the floor is due to a design structural problem and not due to water intrusion, I think I would lay down a sheet of aluminum diamond plate and coat it with a Rhino-style of bedliner for traction/anti-slip.

There have been reports of similar issues with ramps. Outside warranty replacement, I would do the same resolution with the diamond plate.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
PaKraemer

No, the floor was normal the first 13 months. It is usable as is but will it get worse? The resale value is also gone. We have put on quite a few miles on it(10-12K) but a floor in a camper should not wear out with mileage.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
Tbos

Makes me wonder if a support has broken. Don't know how else to figure it out except dropping the bottom coroplast.

Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Makes me wonder if a support has broken. Don't know how else to figure it out except dropping the bottom coroplast.

That was also my thought... I'd want to verify the supporting framework under the floor is not broken or damaged before tearing into the wooden decking. If I remember, there is no coroplast under the garage. It's "sealed" (if you can call it that) with DARCO, a plasticized, tarp like material that's similar to the "blue plastic tarps" we use for most everything. DARCO is an "industry standard" in the mobile home world. It's used as the underlining for almost all mobile homes to hold in the insulation and to protect against "critters and humidity".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
PaKraemer

soft floor on xlite

The model is 21rbs. It is a smaller unit, a couples coach, not a toy hauler. The soft floor is from near the rear door to the front of the kitchen sink. I do not want diamond plate over the floor. Again I say, no water leaks. This did not show until about 13 months old. Bought it new.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Is this one of the sandwich board floors? If this is an area you frequently stand in it may have compressed over time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #11
Lee

Hi,

I have the same model as you except mine is a 2013.

On my TT, there is about a 1 square foot cutout of the coroplast used for accessing the slide out motor in case you ever have to manually crank it in. This cut out would be a good place to poke your head for a visual inspection of the floor supports.

Climb under yours and see if you also have this cutout.

Take care and let us know what you find,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #12
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKraemer View Post
The model is 21rbs. It is a smaller unit, a couples coach, not a toy hauler. The soft floor is from near the rear door to the front of the kitchen sink. I do not want diamond plate over the floor. Again I say, no water leaks. This did not show until about 13 months old. Bought it new.
Sorry. Was thinking toy hauler. Good luck with this.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #13
Larry T

What wa
s the resolution
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #14
Larry T

Cougar 21RBS with soft floor in the center running the length of the kitchen area. No water damage. feels like end of divingboard. deal states it is because of span between supports. Any thoughts on how this can be fixed?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

There's a "fine line" between the flexibility required to keep a trailer from "self destructing while being towed" and "feeling solid when parked". The newer, lighter floor system in ultralight trailers does not "walk the same" as the older, heavier 7/8" solid floor. Also, may floorplans have a 16" "empty space" running down the center where the furnace ducting is positioned. There is minimal support through that area by design.

Some "spongy feel" is to be expected, so depending on how much you're experiencing, it may be normal. The only way to "measure for yourself" is to walk in several trailers with the same floorplan/model number and compare what you feel in your trailer vs what you feel in other models. Be sure that when you compare, you have the same conditons. In other words, if yours is "blocked, chocked and leveled" then compare with the same setup in the other trailers. If yours is "parked on it's tires and not leveled" then compare with that condition in the other trailers.

Once you get that "subjective by my feel" experience, then you can discuss it with the dealer in a "direct comparison" discussion rather than a "I don't know what's normal but I don't think this is" kind of discussion.....

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #16
talk2cpu

I have a 2011 250BH that developed the "soft floor" and never had water. Started in the same place in front of the kitchen cabinets at the floor vent. In the last couple of years it has grown to nearly all of the center section of the trailer. It is a sandwich floor and I believe it is the foam core compressing and the glue failing for the plywood. It concerned me at first and now I am accepting that the floor construction is just plain failing. I would strongly discourage any purchase of a laminated foam core floor with thin top plywood. Not sure about it being laminated at all. Walls and ceilings should be fine. Will find out this spring how badly the value has fallen due to the "soft floor".

Just my 2 cents, buyer beware.
Tom
Old 03-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #17
Larry T

Is the only fix to place a solid metal plate or can there be some type of bonding agent injected into the sandwich board flooring to add strength?
Old 03-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #18
Larry T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's a "fine line" between the flexibility required to keep a trailer from "self destructing while being towed" and "feeling solid when parked". The newer, lighter floor system in ultralight trailers does not "walk the same" as the older, heavier 7/8" solid floor. Also, may floorplans have a 16" "empty space" running down the center where the furnace ducting is positioned. There is minimal support through that area by design.

Some "spongy feel" is to be expected, so depending on how much you're experiencing, it may be normal. The only way to "measure for yourself" is to walk in several trailers with the same floorplan/model number and compare what you feel in your trailer vs what you feel in other models. Be sure that when you compare, you have the same conditons. In other words, if yours is "blocked, chocked and leveled" then compare with the same setup in the other trailers. If yours is "parked on it's tires and not leveled" then compare with that condition in the other trailers.

Once you get that "subjective by my feel" experience, then you can discuss it with the dealer in a "direct comparison" discussion rather than a "I don't know what's normal but I don't think this is" kind of discussion.....

Good Luck
John, dealer took off the underbelly cover and added support in front of slideout. Said floor looked great from underside. But was unable to add support in the main section because of the slideout. The spring area is a line that is 6 feet long in the kitchen going the length and dips over a 1/4 inch on my 175lbs
Old 03-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
John, dealer took off the underbelly cover and added support in front of slideout. Said floor looked great from underside. But was unable to add support in the main section because of the slideout. The spring area is a line that is 6 feet long in the kitchen going the length and dips over a 1/4 inch on my 175lbs
Have you walked inside another trailer with the same floorplan? If so, does the floor in it flex the same as your floor? If you haven't done that comparison, it's difficult to say that yours is different or that both are the same, so it must be inherent in the design. That's not to suggest it is "normal" rather the suggestion would be: If that one doesn't flex and yours does, then yours is weak. If both flex, the question becomes is it a problem or is it just something to live with. If it's a problem, then Keystone and the dealer need to address it. If it's "normal for every model built like that and has not presented a reliability issue" then it's "just the way it is".....

The first step (in my opinion) is to make a 1:1 comparison with another trailer just like yours and inspect the floor in that one for similarities/differences. Only then can you determine if yours is different.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #20
Larry T

John, we have been in others and the dealer said it is an issue but had no idea how to fix it.

Tags
floor