Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #21
worjef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The OP has not been on for six days so suspect he was just venting and had no intention of seeking advice. Will very likely never hear what happened.
I have been reading everyone comments and taking in all the advice. At this time I still do not have any answers. Keystone called me last week and said they were going to have a senior manager call the repair shop because the original window should fit with out any issues. I called the repair shop the next day and they said they hadn't heard from Keystone and there was no way the window will fit properly.

It's all a he said she said between the Keystone and the repair shop but a lot of things don't seem to make since that Keystone is telling me. Keystone told me that had no idea where I received my information about with the window sticking out an in or putting in a seamless window and they had not heard from the repair shop since September. However they did admit to shipping out 3 windows to the repair shop. My other concern is that if the window really does fit correctly why didn't it leave the factory assembly line fitting correctly? There was a gap at the top between the top of the window and camper.

At this point, this is probably the last Keystone product I will ever own. I've been without a camper for almost 3 months now. I'm paying monthly for enclosed storage while my camper is sitting outside at the repair shop. It's been raining and even snowing and last time I saw the camper nothing extra was done to prevent the camper from leaking.

Just so everyone know I appreciate their comments and thoughts.
worjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #22
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by worjef View Post

At this point, this is probably the last Keystone product I will ever own.
Anything that is "handmade" will have defects so this type of problem is not just a Keystone issue.
I hope a solution comes quick to the problem.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #23
worjef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
Anything that is "handmade" will have defects so this type of problem is not just a Keystone issue.
I hope a solution comes quick to the problem.
I don't disagree with that comment but how the business handles the situation is what matters the most. I've tried to leave a lot of emotion out of the situation and in doing so have left out a lot of detail. I've never had an attitude with Keystone but their support team has been very defensive and very quick to point fingers. I also feel that they flat out lied to me when they said that my repair shop had not contacted them since September but admitted to shipping out 2 of the windows in October. I've already made my purchase not sure they care any longer.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

worjef, just a thought; are you doing this all by telephone and just jotting down notes of what they are saying? If so, remember that any/all of them can/will keep you going in a circle from now on if you let them. Have you laid eyes on the "it will stick out an inch" situation? Has the shop shown you exactly what they are talking about as they position the window etc.? If not, I would be front and center, face to face with the folks and get all the "fuzzy" communication out of the way make sure we were all on the same, documented, page. At the rate this is going I don't know if I see a resolution before you grow old and die...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Most window cutouts are slightly oversized. By that I mean that the cutout is sized to allow for expansion and for "minimal" differences in window sizing....

Imagine the window is 29" tall and 19" wide. The opening would probably be cut 30x20 to allow for the window to fit with some space on all sides. Now, if the flange is 3/4" and the window is installed in the opening "flush with the bottom of the cutout, there would be a 1/4" gap at the top of the window.

If the window were installed with 1/2" spacing on all sides, there would be a 1/4" overlap on all sides.

The above measurements are to illustrate the example, not necessarily correct or the measurements typically used in RV window installations.

So, this may be a matter of whomever is installing the window at the dealership not installing it correctly or the inside mounting flange not being properly tightened or possibly slipping because of a twist/warp in the mounting frame ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #26
FlyingAroundRV

I agree with Danny, in that sometimes you have to go nose to nose with people to get things done. From what I've gathered since we started researching RVs, I found 2 things about the industry; 1) The sales are red hot and the dealers and manufacturers are run off their feet just supplying the demand and 2) This has cause an overwhelming situation for the dealer service centers and repair shops.
In an assembly line situation, things can be done quickly with minimal personnel. But when it comes to repairs, each problem is slightly different and is more labor intensive. Almost all manufacturers put the emphasis on sales rather than support as that is where their revenue comes from. It's the same whether it's RVs, houses, cars or plain old widgets.
Long story short, my point is: you have to be firm, but friendly. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but when a situation occurs as you describe, which is costing you money, there is no substitute for fronting up to people and not accepting waffley promises.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #27
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

And if you are not doing so, leave an email string documentingvall conversations. That way there is less chance of missed or lost conversations.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #28
worjef

I thought I would update everyone on the final results of the camper. After 92 days in the shop I have a properly fitting original window installed. After Keystone sent a 3rd window and said the repair shop was not installing the window properly the repair shop sent dimensions and pictures. Keystone then determined they were sending out the wrong window. The 4th window from Keystone fit correctly. However Keystone told the repair shop to use butyl tape to make window 1-3 fit properly and when they took the tape off for the 4th window it ripped the wallpaper and they are repairing that now.

Keystone was very defensive when I talked to them and very quick to place blame on the repair shop, but at the end of the day I'm happy. There could have been better communication between the repair shop and Keystone but after I got involved and started calling every other day asking for updates the issue got resolved.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #29
bbells

Yep. Same situation and solution and trouble I had for my North Trail.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by worjef View Post
I thought I would update everyone on the final results of the camper. After 92 days in the shop I have a properly fitting original window installed. After Keystone sent a 3rd window and said the repair shop was not installing the window properly the repair shop sent dimensions and pictures. Keystone then determined they were sending out the wrong window. The 4th window from Keystone fit correctly. However Keystone told the repair shop to use butyl tape to make window 1-3 fit properly and when they took the tape off for the 4th window it ripped the wallpaper and they are repairing that now.

Keystone was very defensive when I talked to them and very quick to place blame on the repair shop, but at the end of the day I'm happy. There could have been better communication between the repair shop and Keystone but after I got involved and started calling every other day asking for updates the issue got resolved.
Great! I'm glad they got it fixed. It's unfortunate but sometimes you have to become the squeaky wheel, especially dealing with RVs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #31
JohnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
A 5-6 buck tube of outdoor window and door clear silicone will usually handle this kind of problem and what the folks on another Keystone branded 5ers site have used with good resulys. This is what I'll be using on one of our windows that just recently showed a minor leak. You can also use some butyl tape(12 bucks), found at any RV store. The stuff that I bought on AMAZON for our last 5er was advertised as butyl but wasn't.
Thats what I did,,,,, checked the caulking around and found Keystone didn't caulk the whole perimeter of the window. I found about 6" wasn't. After I filled that portion in my leaky window was sealed and no further leak.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote