Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Lugnut

Intro to us

Hello all
We recently ( yesterday) purchased our new to us 2005 Cougar 294 RLS it's not our first trailer and certainly not our last . History time .. our first experience with RV's was a hand me down beat down tent trailer that when we took owner ship wouldn't even raise up with time and patience and some hard work and effort we managed to get things working and used it for a few years. then life took us in another direction spend years chasing a stock car championship around the local 1/4 mile dirt ovals gave the pop-up away . Then we started using my dad's fifth wheel trailer loved the rig but couldn't seem to ever make the ends meet with work hobbies and financial responsibilites raising kids. so never bit the bullet on a fifth wheel as things in life tend to do as we get a bit more mature (older) we were in the market for a travel trailer nothing fancy just a place to sleep wash up and cook for the two of us. We didn't want nothing new as the places this trailer was going would not be a pleasure cruise. you know the places you drive to and go what the #$@& how did they get that here yeah well off the beaten path or no path. The places were the animals and fish seldom see the creatures call humans so we searched and found the perfect trailer (POS) something we could afford and afford to damage if it happened (it did a few time) it was a 1977 ideal 16 footer we made it our own. solar panels led lights flipped the Axel's for ground clearance added out door on demand hotwater shower trowed a genny on the bumper and off we went to our adventurous locations. We have gotten a bit more mature now and a bit less adventurous so we decided it's time to up grade to a more modern nicer unit still not ready to pull the trigger on a spanking new unit we found our new used unit we are excited to use it can't wait to take on our first outing still learning all the things the previous owner updated altered. He is quite the handy Man done some very beautiful remodeling to the rig. Our first trip is scheduled this January to a little known place in Arizona called Quartzite.
Lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Chris P

Congratulations on your new purchase, Welcome to the forum from New Jersey,
Lugnut is what I call my wife as we are Nascar fans,
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Gegrad

Welcome from North Carolina!
Gegrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Lugnut

tanksarot for the welcome
Old 11-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

to The Forum From Western PA

Congrats on your latest rig !! Enjoy

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Took a minute to look at a similar 294RLS on youtube and that is a great floor plan. Love door to the bedroom which is one of the reasons we have a Cougar 278EFS 5vr. I get up a lot earlier than the missus when camping and can sit and drink coffee and watch TV in the cabin and you can't really hear anything while in bed.

On a 2005 model (ours is a 2002), you will want to check the electric switch on the water heater; it is on the outside on the bottom left and hard to find. Mine was shot and I changed the electric water heater element (fried), changed the switch and put in new thermostats... all easy jobs. You will also want to pull the anode which picks up minerals in the hot water rather than the same minerals rotting your tank. The anode likely needs changed. Another suggestion would be to add some NO SLIDE rubbery stuff to the bottom of the cushions on the dinette. They slide out easily otherwise. Last, check the date code on your tires. The date code is in an oval on the sidewall and has four numbers; first two are week of the year and second two are the year so 1712 means 17th week of 2012. If you are a racer fan you may or may not know this (I am a vintage bike mechanic and see 20 year old tires all the time). Anything much over 3 years old and a new set of tires might be in order; lots of opinions on tires on this forum.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
Lugnut

We don't actually get to pick it up untill after Thanksgiving I didn't have a distribution hitch and the couple we purchased it from is going on vacation.. as for tires they are brand new the couple we bought it from also purchased a brand new couger them self's and he wanted a Goodyear tire on his new rig so he put the ones from his on the one we purchased as for the floor plan when I get the unit I'll take some pics your going to be shocked with the work this man did on the interior.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:23 AM   #8
notanlines

Welcome to the forum and we look forward to the pics.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Logan X

Welcome from CA
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote