Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #41
cookinwitdiesel

I am a staggeringly average 5'8" tall lol but my Hideout has probably nearly a foot over my head inside to the ceiling. And you get a full height bedroom as well in the TTs. I think the main benefits of the fifth wheels are cargo space (although you trade a truck bed for it pretty much), larger layouts, better to drive (as long as you know what to do when making a right turn ) with less sway or weight distribution concerns, and a nicer top end offering. They also can cost a lot more and weigh a lot more and are a fair bit taller in most cases. From a vehicle payload standpoint though, you will get a lot more out of your truck with a bumper pull vs a fifth wheel in terms of trailer. The highest hitch weights I have seen for TTs is about 1300# for the biggest baddest ones with 4 slides. Seeing trailers with a hitch weight of 700-900# is very common. That CANNOT be said of a fifth wheel.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #42
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
With that commute I would agree that an F150 is preferable over the SDs if towing will be as low frequency as you say. That being said, maybe you should consider a travel trailer vs a 5th wheel? Should be lighter and still offer as much floor plan as a 5er would. I don't think Ford even issues a 5er rating for the F-150s, only the SD trucks.

And yes, if you do get the power stroke F-350 SRW then the conversation becomes moot, you will have enough truck for medium and small 5ers (but still not the big long term living ones) as well as any bumper pull on the market.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf
Page 20 has my truck. 16900 combined, 10700 max fiver. Those numbers are fine, it’s really only payload that gets super close.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #43
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I'm loving this thread but the #'s are killing me
I took advantage of the end of season clear out up here and picked up a Silverado LT/V8/5.3 litre/355 HP/3.42 axle ratio/ready to tow 9000+lbs... should comfortably handle our 5,500 lb Cougar RBS22...I like those #'s
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #44
meaz93*

I must say that before purchasing the awesomeness... that is our 2018 Keystone Outback 328RL, I had already the gear from my old Springdale bumper pull setup..... husky WDH, sway bar control, etc.
Which meant I would've had to drop coin on a 5th wheel hitch setup (which I did research for-lol).
In the end (the wife) after countless hours shuffling through trailers at RV shows and of course online we found the trailer that really had everything we wanted....7 Point Auto Leveling (Grand Design did not) & an RV king size bed / room slide out.
Love love the trailer.
So get what you like, and hopefully it works out with your tow vehicle, if not upgrade to a Scorpion. [emoji106]Click image for larger version

Name:	20181115_113043.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	19318
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #45
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf
Page 20 has my truck. 16900 combined, 10700 max fiver. Those numbers are fine, it’s really only payload that gets super close.
I'm not sure if the same thing applies to bumper pulls, but when it comes to fivers, payload will pretty much always be the limiting factor; I wouldn't even bother looking at 'max trailer weight', GCWR, etc. until you know whether you're within payload or not.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #46
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Well there goes my roar not to mention the roar of the new 2018 Chevy V8
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #47
cookinwitdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
I must say that before purchasing the awesomeness... that is our 2018 Keystone Outback 328RL, I had already the gear from my old Springdale bumper pull setup..... husky WDH, sway bar control, etc.
Which meant I would've had to drop coin on a 5th wheel hitch setup (which I did research for-lol).
In the end (the wife) after countless hours shuffling through trailers at RV shows and of course online we found the trailer that really had everything we wanted....7 Point Auto Leveling (Grand Design did not) & an RV king size bed / room slide out.
Love love the trailer.
So get what you like, and hopefully it works out with your tow vehicle, if not upgrade to a Scorpion. [emoji106]
The Outback 328RL is an awesome looking trailer! I had my heart set on one of them when I was shopping and even got to go in one at local dealer. But my wallet was set on my Hideout at literally 50% of the price haha. Figured the Hideout made more sense as a first trailer - I can trade up to the Outback (although also eyeballing a GD Reflections) in a few years once I know what I am doing
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #48
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBO Cookie Monster View Post
Yup. I get lost as to where I am in the thread. But the fifth wheel has an unusual amount of ccc. We won’t use it all. Or even half of it. 2067 lbs? Nope. It just is not that big, and we don’t need to pack more than a small suitcase each. Kitchen utensils, coffee maker, pots, pans, flatware, fishing pole, yada yada. 500 lbs maybe. Two ebikes on the bumper will subtract pin weight, but weigh about 150 with the rack. Real world pin weight should come in around 1700, I’m pretty convinced of it.
Hitch is 40 lbs for the Andersen, 40 lbs for the B&W goose ball that it attaches to.
Wife, Myself, Dog, camera and crackers 500
Hitch 80
King pin 1700

2280. Payload is 2450
170 lbs headroom left.
That’s 200 INSIDE the envelope.

But again, how is a payload sticker, and tow ratings “hype”? I love a great discussion, but it cannot be based on alternative facts. Is it hype if the payload numbers are on a one ton? The truck i question basically has the rear axle of a 250, extra leaf springs, different shocks, thicker frame, taller gears, nearly 500 ft lbs torque etc. Is that all hype?
I also started with an F150 but switched to an F250 Powerstroke within 1 year. When you are figuring weights, you also have to consider water, I think a gallon is 8 lbs, and also fuel, which is probably a similar weight to water. The fuel weight is 100% part of your payload. I would recommend a travel trailer and not a 5th wheel.

Enjoy your new camper, cheers!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #49
FBO Cookie Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I also started with an F150 but switched to an F250 Powerstroke within 1 year. When you are figuring weights, you also have to consider water, I think a gallon is 8 lbs, and also fuel, which is probably a similar weight to water. The fuel weight is 100% part of your payload. I would recommend a travel trailer and not a 5th wheel.

Enjoy your new camper, cheers!
Actually, payload is considered with all liquids including fuel. GVW and Gcvw are not.
FBO Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water