Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'm with you. According to Ford, their "available Trailer Reverse Guidance System" will guide you in backing and provide "digitally expanded views" of where the trailer is going based on steering wheel movement"...

I'm not really sure what that is supposed to imply, but for me, I'd sooner trust the neighbor's 10 year old before I'd trust a "available with some optional packages" accessory..... Of course, I don't trust their "parallel parking program" or the lane keeping or adaptive cruise control either.... Come to think of it, I don't trust Google's self driving car any more than Ford's contributions....

I'll keep doing my "back up and pull forward till it's where I want it method..... YMMV
I agree!!!
Wonder what your insurance will say when you back into something & tell them you weren't backing it, the truck was??? So does Ford pay the deductable?? They need to quit designing cars that require less attention from the driver & make them to require more so there'd be less time for calling/texting.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
efrulla

Furion Wireless Observation System. FOS48TAPK-BL. This is the system that you can also use as a full time rear view camera. I refuse to tow my 5th wheel without it being on. As a side note, the camera mount is more than likely wired into the running lights on the trailer.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #23
moodman

I have the Furrion. Like the camera but hate the monitor. Too small and the resolution is not any better than a grainy old TV.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #24
BobMcC

Backup Camera

I spent WAY too much money, but I like what I finally have installed. Bought this system from 4UCam

https://www.amazon.com/Quad-view-FRC...2595169&sr=1-2 - but I also added two more cameras (side style - right & left side).

Added a camera below the front TV mirror looking forward. Took out the Furrion rear mount from our 5er and installed the rear facing 4UCam. I have 40' toy hauler so I ran a coax nd rubber duck antenna into the pin box area, the wireless was a little too far and too much heavy metal in the way so it was fading in/out until I ran the coax. All four cameras record to a 32GB chip in the monitor, so I've got evidence of what might happen. (including MY SCREW UPS!!!!) More views than anyone really needs, but keeps my co-pilot /DW happy. And, we still use radios when backing up (HA HA!!!!)
BobMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #25
Andymil

I added the Ford camera/TPMS system to my F250, which was pre-wired. It’s hard wired to a plug I installed in the bed for the 5th wheel. It works well enough, but...

It is not an observation camera. It only works in reverse.

It shuts off when you put the truck in “Drive”. You have to re-select the “Aux” camera every time you put the truck in “Reverse”. PITA when parking a trailer.

The TPMS only monitors tire pressure, not temperature.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #26
SheriP

Quote:
Originally Posted by relac47 View Post
I found this little Gem.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to splice the power to the factory set-up and it runs by WIFI to a tablet I have in the Cab of the truck. Works great. I let it run going down the road to see whats behind me and it helps backing in.
I'm a newby so bear with me. How did you splice it in for the power?
SheriP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #27
GHen

Many rv’s are prewired to a spot in the upper center of the rear, it’s normally just a hot wire from the running lights, which means the running lights must be on to use it. Easy install.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #28
JHenry

1st time on the forum but long time RV enthusiast. Be very careful to only use the wireless cameras for backing up ONLY. The tow vehicle can outrun a wireless signal at 60-65+mph if used while driving as a “rear view” camera. The screen will freeze with no warning. Happened to me and was not a fun experience. Big difference from rear-view and backup cameras!
JHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHenry View Post
1st time on the forum but long time RV enthusiast. Be very careful to only use the wireless cameras for backing up ONLY. The tow vehicle can outrun a wireless signal at 60-65+mph if used while driving as a “rear view” camera. The screen will freeze with no warning. Happened to me and was not a fun experience. Big difference from rear-view and backup cameras!
That's the funniest thing I've read for a while!
Unless your TV is capable of traveling at faster-than-light speed, it can't outrun the wireless signal. Probably what you encountered was some interference from another wireless source, or a power dropout to the camera.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #30
JHenry

Wish that was the case but I learned the hard way that the 2.4-5ghz wireless spectrum has a “speed limit”. Especially when broadcasting from the rear of a trailer. One will notice there are no wireless “while in motion” cameras on the trailers of semi rigs for lane departure or “rear view”. They are all hardwired thru the umbilicals. Also a simple Google of wireless cameras produces gobs of results for “back up” cameras for a reason.
JHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #31
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHenry View Post
Wish that was the case but I learned the hard way that the 2.4-5ghz wireless spectrum has a “speed limit”. Especially when broadcasting from the rear of a trailer. One will notice there are no wireless “while in motion” cameras on the trailers of semi rigs for lane departure or “rear view”. They are all hardwired thru the umbilicals. Also a simple Google of wireless cameras produces gobs of results for “back up” cameras for a reason.
Can you post a link or a reference to the "speed limit" for the wireless signal? I can understand a bandwidth limitation, but radio signals travel at the speed of light ... literally.
I think the reason there are no "In motion" cameras may have something to do with laws against the driver being able to view "video screens" while driving. GPS screens are classified as not being "video".
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:01 PM   #32
Hblick48

I've had wireless camera for 2 years, wouldn't be wíthout. I put system together on Amazon. It's on whenever I'm towing. 7 inch monitor clips onto rear view mirror.

Recently added tpms. Since both operate the same frequency range, major interference on video signal. Also, on recent trip I found video interrupted by other vehicles, especially when driving in congested cities.

Decided to hard wire the video system using rg59 and BNC connectors. Will eliminate radio frequency interference.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote