Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Pineiro

Suggestion for new truck.

Need some help here...

Upgraded to a 2016 Cougar 28RBS Hitch Weight 955 lbs
Dry Weight 6338 lbs I know the weights are not real world.

We have right know a 2016 Ram1500, poor thing is suffering with the tongue weight even with air bags installed and the Andersen Weight Distribution.

So I am looking for a new truck and some input from you guys...right now I'm looking at the Ram 2500 and Ford250...Any pros and cons?...should I be looking for something else?

Thanks
Pineiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
Tbos

Sometimes the cost to upgrade to a SRW 1ton is cheaper than buying a 3/4 ton. Just make sure your new tow vehicle has the payload capacity for this or any future rigs.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

A Ram 2500 or Ford F250 would be fine. The trailer gvw is about 8200 lbs. Either truck with the big V8 would do a good job. If you want the power of the diesel, and want to pay that price, they would do a good job as well. The difference towing the trailer will be night and day (I hated that phrase when I was told that but, it's true).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
A Ram 2500 or Ford F250 would be fine. The trailer gvw is about 8200 lbs. Either truck with the big V8 would do a good job. If you want the power of the diesel, and want to pay that price, they would do a good job as well. The difference towing the trailer will be night and day (I hated that phrase when I was told that but, it's true).
Or either one of the GM 2500 or 3500s.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Javi

If there is even a remote chance of you ever wanting a larger trailer, then a 3/4 ton truck is just throwing good money after bad..

Been there, done that; got the ball cap, wall plaque, and commemorative t-shirt and cancelled checks to testify to my experience...
Old 07-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Northofu1

I have been looking at the big three for 2500's on the build and price section of their websites. I was kind of shocked at the pricing of the Rams in comparison to the other two.
Believe it or not, The GMC was the best price in the SLT (and their options) range. I didn't look at chevy, I prefer GMC. Javi is right, I just don't want that big a trailer next round.
Good luck

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I have been looking at the big three for 2500's on the build and price section of their websites. I was kind of shocked at the pricing of the Rams in comparison to the other two.
Believe it or not, The GMC was the best price in the SLT (and their options) range. I didn't look at chevy, I prefer GMC. Javi is right, I just don't want that big a trailer next round.
Good luck
I'm not sure how you were equipping a Ram so that a GMC SLT would be cheaper. I just went to build and price and as soon as I selected SLT the price, before options, was 54k - I quit there because I can get a lot of Ram for 54k. Also, with the gas 6.0 in the GMC you give up 40-50 lb ft. of torque to the other 2 manufacturers gas options.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
If there is even a remote chance of you ever wanting a larger trailer, then a 3/4 ton truck is just throwing good money after bad..

Been there, done that; got the ball cap, wall plaque, and commemorative t-shirt and cancelled checks to testify to my experience...

Javi is right. IF you think you are in a progressive situation where you think you will get a larger trailer sometime in the future - get the bigger truck now. I'm in that boat right now - looking at going from 3/4 to 1 ton - because. I don't particularly want a bigger trailer right now, but I know I don't want a smaller one and I'm going to replace the truck anyway soon so it's a no brainer to go to the 1 ton for very little money extra and get the added capacity....in case.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
FlyingAroundRV

We bought a 2015 F-250 SRW 2WD Crew cab to tow our Outback 272UFL. GVW for the 272 is #7600 and the 250 tows it without breaking a sweat. It is sweet and stable on the road with a Husky Centerline HD hitch set up by Dan's Hitch in Elkhart IN. Mostly when the semis go past us, we don't even notice any movement from their bow wave.
I did LOTS of research on the Fords. Some Models before 2011 had design flaws, like spitting sparkplugs and diesel engine problems so numerous, they brought a whole new industry into being for "bullt-proofing". The gas engines post 2011 are more reliable.
I didn't do the same kind of research on the Dodges and GMCs. I'm not a fan of Dodge products and when I looked at the Chevys I saw another raft of reliability issues. Things like rusted out brake lines put me right off!
If you're looking at used trucks, have a look through carcomplaints.com and the NHTSA database. The faults listed aren't comprehensive statistics, but you can see recurring issues that you may expect to encounter.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
Pineiro

Quote:

Don't see us getting a bigger trailer, its just me, wife and son...no need for anything bigger.
Thanks
Old 07-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Pineiro

thanks a lot for all the reply's...Just a add on, at the moment we are looking at new truck, not thinking of getting a used one.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineiro View Post
Don't see us getting a bigger trailer, its just me, wife and son...no need for anything bigger.
Thanks
Good luck with that,, I'm 69 and it's just me, DW and Max the Golden Retriever... DW wants bigger (longer & more slides),,, I want shorter but heavier... (better built) for what I hope is our last trailer...

The last trailer we owned was a nightmare, this one is great and DW loves everything about it except the room,,, I love the floorplan, but hate the light weight of the fixtures and small storage spaces.. and I'd like it to be 4 or 5 feet shorter so we'd fit into more parks...

Want to bet on what I end up with...
Old 07-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #13
66joej

Quote:
Good luck with that,, I'm 69 and it's just me, DW and Max the Golden Retriever... DW wants bigger (longer & more slides),,, I want shorter but heavier... (better built) for what I hope is our last trailer...

The last trailer we owned was a nightmare, this one is great and DW loves everything about it except the room,,, I love the floorplan, but hate the light weight of the fixtures and small storage spaces.. and I'd like it to be 4 or 5 feet shorter so we'd fit into more parks...

Javi don't know if the DW has seen this one yet.
https://goo.gl/images/7whnWF

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #14
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm not sure how you were equipping a Ram so that a GMC SLT would be cheaper. I just went to build and price and as soon as I selected SLT the price, before options, was 54k - I quit there because I can get a lot of Ram for 54k. Also, with the gas 6.0 in the GMC you give up 40-50 lb ft. of torque to the other 2 manufacturers gas options.
When I added the same options to the ram that the SLT had it came to 72k after tax. My boss has a '17 ram, I can tell you, he has had it into the shop a few times, twice for recalls, mine has been in twice for oil changes, and the paint was coming off my steps, so I asked them to Line X them. The Ford was comparable to the GMC in price.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
Frank G

I have been out of the auto industry for a few years now but most suppliers if not all have cost of metal prices built in to the contracts. That said, it looks like there will be substantial price increases coming. The initial 2019 pricing may already be effected. Many times the sticker price remains the same but the dealer discount changes. Most dealers base pricing off the invoice so older (new) vehicles may carry a price advantage. Shop around.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #16
Pineiro

Quote:

I know the feeling...I was happy with the pop up...them the Roo23rs...and now the 28RBS...but this is it...or so I hope 😂
Old 07-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #17
Freeheel4life

Quote:

I always put it like this....

Sometimes in a marriage you have to compromise. In your case the compromise goes something like "I wanted a smaller better built trailer. She wanted a bigger trailer with longer slides. So we compromised and got a bigger trailer with longer slides."
Good luck Javi.
To the OP are there any particular features you like over one brand vs the other?? One of the other things to consider no matter what brand of buying new is dealer service on the back end. Warranty is only as good as the guys backing it. I'd look at some reviews of whatever dealer you are considering purchasing from and see if theres any reasonable one stars that are legitimate complaints and 5 stars that aren't all fluff. That's just me if I had the $ to buy new.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #18
Northofu1

I went back in to Build & Price Ram SLT was 80 K and GMC SLT was 67K. Took many more add ons to bring the Ram to the same level as GMC.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #19
mcomeaux

3500 Dodge Dually / Diesel....Well I'm the case of having the truck first and buy trailer afterwards. Started out with a 2016 Dodge 2500 Dodge Diesel with 343 gears A/T. Just did not feel right. Jumped into a 2018 3500 dually with 373 gears and what a difference. Just my 2 cents
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I went back in to Build & Price Ram SLT was 80 K and GMC SLT was 67K. Took many more add ons to bring the Ram to the same level as GMC.
OK. I look at these things almost weekly...in the lot, at the dealership. I'm sure you probably have it right off the internet. But, if you're happy, I'm happy.