Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #21
66joej

I think Oatman is getting a bit like some other tourist attractions along Route 66. A bit too commercialized in my opinion. This last visit you have to buy food for the donkeys from vendors. Seems the animals need to have their droppings produced for easy pickup. I can see the point there but $5-7 for a little more than a hand full of food is a bit excessive. Other than that great place to spend the day.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #22
Jim & Kay

Great memories of the Mother Road, we want to enjoy as much of it as we possibly can. In 2007 there was a service station, restaurant, and motel called Roy's Place in Amboy, CA that had just been restored and reopened, don't know if it is still going.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:50 AM   #23
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
I think Oatman is getting a bit like some other tourist attractions along Route 66. A bit too commercialized in my opinion. This last visit you have to buy food for the donkeys from vendors. Seems the animals need to have their droppings produced for easy pickup. I can see the point there but $5-7 for a little more than a hand full of food is a bit excessive. Other than that great place to spend the day.
Are they charging that much for burro food now? Wow! I lived in Bullhead City in the 1990's through 2002, and used to go to Oatman quite often as I had a few friends who lived there at the time.

In those days, you could get a handful of burro food from old candy machines for 50 cents. One store had little brown paper bags of burro food on a table by the door..they might have been as much as a dollar, but not more than that.

I do remember being in that store and watching a burro sneak in the door and swipe a little bag of feed, then go outside, step on it to rip it open with it's teeth, and eat the feed. The locals named the burros and could tell them apart. The lady who ran the store yelled the burro's name and hollered at it to "Get out of here" and it quickly grabbed the bag and backed out the door. She said they would sneak in and grab a bag anytime they thought she wasn't looking. There were always several torn paper bags on the boardwalk out front.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 AM   #24
notanlines

We were in Oatmsn in 2016 and the hay pellets were still a dollar then. Can’t feed em carrots anymore. They still smell to high heaven and they still will bite you if not fed correctly. All in all a fun place to go and we do recommend it.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:10 AM   #25
66joej

Guess we bought our food from the same store that sells the genuine Rolex watches for $20 (it actually says "rolax" on the watch).
We enjoyed our visit there.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote