Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 05:44 AM   #1
AbbyinTN

Spare Tire Placement

I need to re-position my spare tire. What are all my options for mounting my spare tire? I have the enclosed underbelly. It would be ideal if I could re-purpose the factory spare tire mounter in another location...has anyone tried flipping the mount on the back bumper so your tire would be under the trailer? I have reinforced my back bumper. Thanks.

(Mods & Upgrades is my favorite sub-forum...I learn a lot)
AbbyinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Not sure what reinforced the back bumper means, but unless you replaced it, the metal is not very strong.

Instead, look at the BAL spare tire holder. It sits under your rig and can be pulled out for access.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
rhagfo

Where are you trying to relocate from?I don't think using a bumper mount designed for vertical us to horizontal would be a good idea as the twisting force on the bumper tube would be much greater.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
66joej

^ Agree with Chip. BAL makes a carrier for enclosed underbelly trailers. I installed one on my TT.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

If your a moder and tinkerer than you might think about acquiring a tire hanger from a pick up truck in a junkyard (ok, ok, I know the new pc term is RECYCLING Center). I've read where people have modified them and mounted to the A frame on travel trailers. I don't think using the bumper mount horizontally would work do to the torsional forces induced.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

Easy if you have a pickup or SUV with room for it, place it there. Once had a SUV and carried the trailer spare on the roof rack. Now I lay it in the PU bed. No cost, mods etc. Better than the rear bumper. Seen a Cougar TT while hunting last week. Spare angled back toward TT, mount and bumper bent. Likely cause backing into something.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Most travel trailers don't have enough ground clearance under the rear bumper to "just flip the existing spare carrier". Anything placed under the rear square tube bumper is very likely to be torn off going over the first "curb rise" at any local gas station. Most trailers have less than 4 or 5 inches of clearance, certainly not enough for a spare tire. Moving forward (under the trailer) closer to the axles gives sufficient clearance for a BAL spare tire carrier and is where most install the after market carrier. Several trailer manufacturers have started installing the BAL carrier as "OEM" equipment. Mine is 5 years old, works great and I've never had any problems with it. That would be my recommendation. Average cost is around $80-100, depending on where you buy it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
scottz

My unit came with the spare mounted underneath, just behind the rear axle. I don't know what brand the winch was, but it was junk. The first time I used it, the gears stripped out. I went to a junk yard and picked up a spare tire winch from a Ford Super Duty. It is much stronger and better built than the original.

You could do the same. All it takes is a spare tire winch and some angle iron to fabricate a carrier. If you don't have the tools, make friends with someone that has a welder and saws.

Even after I beefed up the whole thing, I put a safety strap around the spare (did the same on the pickup). I can just imagine the damage it would do dragging under the rear of the trailer at highway speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-06-07 08.51.43 -2.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	19294   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-06-06 14.52.19 -2.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	19308  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #9
AbbyinTN

Thanks for everyone's input. I can definitely see the error in some of my ideas like the clearance being too low in the rear...with the underbelly enclosed it limits how flush it could be mounted to avoid dragging. Our last trip we put it in the back of the truck but we have not put a tri-fold cover over the bed of the truck yet and we are very leery about leaving valuables in plain sight...we were both city kids and cannot help being extra cautious. I like the Bal spare tire mount but I saw where someone drilled holes in their fresh water tank (you know who you are ) and I could totally could see myself doing that! Ideally I would like to put it under the tongue of the trailer. A junk yard may have a pickup truck mounting device that would work???
AbbyinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 AM   #10
concours

We did reinforce our rear bumper so that the square tube would stay attached but the whole bumper slide out is just simply a poor design that's not to be trusted we have 2 bikes on the bumper but don't have it slid out we mounted a rack to the tube which has been fine for thousands of miles. As for the spare we have it on a BAL undermount which is just behind the rear axle, that has also been no problem for thousands of miles
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote