Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #21
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I disagree with this. A good dealer will tell you that during your PDI, but when you're a newbie its not hard to forget that tip. Video taping your PDI will help you remember everything they explain.

However, in the OP's situation, there was no dealer PDI and probably very little guidance from the trailer's owner, so its totally understandable that he didn't know.

Personally, I don't trust the auto-dump feature and just setup my awning to be low on the side furthest from our single door.

Kudos to you dwall, for being a good neighbor!
I use a cheap rubber bungie on the aft end, away from the door. One hook over the bottom end of the cheap hardware that holds it to the camper, and the other just past the hinge on the arm, so it holds it "down" about halfway. Then the rain runs off the other end where nobody is stretched out relaxing.

If I tie down both ends, the door rubs when you open it, so I just do the one end. Looks a bit strange, but it works for me. Just remember to make removing it part of your "secure the camper" checklist so you don't hit the retract button with the strap on there.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSchwenk View Post
I use a cheap rubber bungie on the aft end, away from the door. One hook over the bottom end of the cheap hardware that holds it to the camper, and the other just past the hinge on the arm, so it holds it "down" about halfway. Then the rain runs off the other end where nobody is stretched out relaxing.

If I tie down both ends, the door rubs when you open it, so I just do the one end. Looks a bit strange, but it works for me. Just remember to make removing it part of your "secure the camper" checklist so you don't hit the retract button with the strap on there.
You should be able to adjust either arm without having to use the bungee. My Carefree has 6 adjust holes & as per their manual can be set to within 3 holes difference from arm to arm & still extend/retract without any further adjustments.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #23
JimSchwenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You should be able to adjust either arm without having to use the bungee. My Carefree has 6 adjust holes & as per their manual can be set to within 3 holes difference from arm to arm & still extend/retract without any further adjustments.
Never noticed on my 26RB Campfire. They are auto dumpers, but I just like to keep the one end down. The bungie does the trick. I'll have to double check, just came in for the night and my shoes are OFF.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #24
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As to the OP, in today's world I'm MUCH more hesitant to do those kinds of favors, you don't know how they may react! I'm not going to be shot trying to save someone else's awning. Granted most would be very appreciative, but it only takes one to go bad sideways very quickly.
Wow. If you are seriously worried about getting shot when you knock on a neighbor's door, you need to get out of that neighborhood and find some place else to camp!!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Wow. If you are seriously worried about getting shot when you knock on a neighbor's door, you need to get out of that neighborhood and find some place else to camp!!
I really think the comment was made more "tongue in cheek" rather than "with fear in my heart"... That said, every campground that I've stayed in tends to "change complexion" every day at checkout time..... You never know when that "nice elderly couple with the mini-home" will leave and the next people will have a "huge fifth wheel, filled with teenagers, their motorcycles and speakers blaring music from both sides of the RV as they "rev up the motorcycles"..... Just sayin' ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #26
stolly23

my 2019 has feature that you just pull down on the joint of the awning arms and it slopes automatically. No need to move it back when bringing it in. Set and forget. I love it. Much better then adjusting with the push buttons that kill your finger.

2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Dually 4x4
2019 Cougar 32BHS 1/2 Ton
stolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I think travelin texan has a valid point. The world has changed so much from what it used to be lots of folks seem to be on pins and needles - especially if it's early or late in the day and they are inside the RV. As one that has been "that guy" pointing a gun at someone's face (really nice guy) that was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I can only say I would not have wanted to be in his shoes. Granted, I wouldn't be banging on someone's door after 11pm then jerk the door out of their hands....but, still wouldn't want to be in that situation.

As John mentioned, the complexion of a park changes constantly. Thankfully you generally have a little time to meet newcomers, visit a bit and get a feel for the "lay of the land". I would want that before I went to "wake" someone. Of course, I wouldn't mind nearly so bad in the morning hours (daylight) vs late at night. If it was an emergency you just do what you have to do IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #28
Javi

You just never know nowadays... Older couple was beat to death in their own home by unknow subjects a few years back, less than a block from our house ..

Down here we got so many transients roaming around that it don't pay to open the door without being ready, especially at night... less they got armed guards and locked gates ain't no RV park any safer than any place else..
Old 08-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #29
POBOYPCB

As a former campground host, I've dropped many a corner to let the accumulation off and I've seen several times where neither I nor anyone else caught it in time and the result was expensive. Do him a favor and either drop the corner for him or wake him up. When he realizes what you've done he'll appreciate it. In many years, nobody ever criticized me for saving their awning!
POBOYPCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:08 AM   #30
itat

I’ll count myself lucky that I don’t live or camp anywhere that has nervous people with firearms. I'm sure that Texas is a beautiful place but if 2 Texans here express worry about the “complexion” changing with the next neighbor and there’s even a remote chance of this really happening, I’ll avoid Texas in my travels.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #31
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Good rule of thumb in many areas of life, trust.....but verify.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #32
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
absolutely...
Old 08-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
One of my favorite shows from agent Mulder

"TRUST NO ONE"

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #34
Old Mustanger

Quote:
I’ll count myself lucky that I don’t live or camp anywhere that has nervous people with firearms. I'm sure that Texas is a beautiful place but if 2 Texans here express worry about the “complexion” changing with the next neighbor and there’s even a remote chance of this really happening, I’ll avoid Texas in my travels.
Don't avoid traveling in our beautiful state because of 2 people's opinions. Heck the DW and I don't even keep our guns loaded (but the bullets are right there with them).
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Don't avoid traveling in our beautiful state because of 2 people's opinions. Heck the DW and I don't even keep our guns loaded (but the bullets are right there with them).
It's not just Texas that has gun owners and it's not just Texas that has "gun toten citizenry".... I agree, don't change travel plans (or other plans) because of something you would otherwise never know about. If you did, you'd never allow a surgeon to get you on a table again or allow someone to serve you a burger from a kitchen that you can't see who washed their hands, picked their nose or decided to spit in the catsup.... Just sayin' YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #36
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's not just Texas that has gun owners and it's not just Texas that has "gun toten citizenry".... I agree, don't change travel plans (or other plans) because of something you would otherwise never know about. If you did, you'd never allow a surgeon to get you on a table again or allow someone to serve you a burger from a kitchen that you can't see who washed their hands, picked their nose or decided to spit in the catsup.... Just sayin' YMMV
OK John so much for eating out! Just kidding. Agree you can get shot right here in Radium.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #37
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Look at it this way... I'm 69 years old and I've been legally carrying a firearm in one capacity or another most of those years.... and I ain't never shot nobody that didn't need it..
Old 08-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Texas IS a beautiful place and has lots of great folks. Carrying a firearm doesn't mean you're "nervous", it means you're prepared. I prefer that over getting on my knees and begging to the bad guy.

The complexion of the world is changing....hopefully you actually see it and aren't that naïve. As far as coming to TX and worrying about someone with a firearm....don't do stupid stuff - like banging on the side of a trailer at 11:30pm then yanking the door out of the resident's hand. IF it had been a bad guy and I was a "gentle" person standing there in my pajamas and a smile....guess he could have done whatever he wanted to do as I watched...nada.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
OK John so much for eating out! Just kidding. Agree you can get shot right here in Radium.
Yup, there's "unhinged (crazy) people" or "angry ones with an agenda" most everywhere. You never know who or what will trigger an "over the edge moment".... Personally, I'm just as concerned with someone wielding a bat or a steel tent pole as I am someone with a rifle..... Those are legal and easy to carry in every state and country that I frequent with my trailer, so, at least for me, it's not the weapon, it's the idiot behind it... Almost like it's not the tow vehicle, but......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-12-2018, 05:58 AM   #40
itat

I won’t debate firearms with Americans on an American-based forum. That’s a quick way to have a thread closed!

My apologizes to the OP for posting something that has taken the thread off topic.

Unsubscribed.