Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
arturob

Fridge problem in 2011 Cougar 322QBH

Yesterday i noticed that the fridge didnt seem to be very cold, but put it down to thee warm weather here in Yuma (90 outside). This morning when i got up the fridge was sitting at 65deg and rising and the freezer was no longer freezing, Did an inspection of the heating system - no yellow crud, flame is on, everything seemed fine. Switched to 110v - no change, so I started calling around looking for repairs. Since we are out at Ogilby Rd no one from Yuma was willing to come out but I did get some suggestions - turn it off for a couple of hours, hit heat exchanger pipes with rubber mallet, take fridge out and tilt it or turn it upside down! I tried shutting off and tapping but it didnt seem to do any good so I resigned myself to needing to replace the refridgerator guts. Got a quote for about $1000 for a new unit with a 2yr warranty and set up an appointment for Friday. Took stuff out of the fridge into a cooler but left the fridge on since it seemed to be keeping the freezer a little cool. About 4 hours later I just happend to check the fridge temp and it is down to 55. Freezer is now freezing nicely, Now what do I do????

I was told the likely problem was a blockage in the pipes circulating refrigerant. That it might clear up but would definitley happen again. I dont want to spend $1000 if I dont have to (living on a fixed income) but I also dont want to be stuck on a place where I am going to have to spend a lot more to fix the problem if it happens back in Canada.

Anyone have any wisdom to offer???
arturob is offline   Reply With Quote