Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #41
Jefster

Well as y'all predicted, Keystone is sticking by their official response of "Too bad"

Here is the response:
Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. I did review with my manager, and my manager reviewed with the general manager, we are not going to be participating on any modification to our units, you can most definitely install an extra escape window but it would be at your cost, it can also affect your warranty in the future. However, Keystone RV will not participate in any modifications.

So there you have it.

A couple things still bother me about this.
1 - When I raised the question of the safety standard, they tried to answer that the trailer still meets the requirement because it has the curtain instead of the door. When I answered their objection that the front bedroom window qualifies as a fire escape to the rear bunkhouse (because the bedroom has a door), they've now dropped the question of whether the RV meets the safety standard altogether.
2 - They continue with the threat of the warranty. Again, if you built it with inadequate fire escapes, don't threaten your customer's warranty if they need to provide for the safety that you are disregarding. It seems like it's actually less than the least they could do.
Jefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #42
meaz93*

I hate to say it but....I understand Keystone not wanting to open pandora box on this design issue.
Upon weighing the options, if it were me....I would sell the trailer and find a safer floor plan-period.
You don't want to own a TT that has a documented warranty voided by the manufacturer...IMO.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-10%2016.02.10.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	18166
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:43 AM   #43
Jefster

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaz93* View Post
I hate to say it but....I understand Keystone not wanting to open pandora box on this design issue.
Upon weighing the options, if it were me....I would sell the trailer and find a safer floor plan-period.
You don't want to own a TT that has a documented warranty voided by the manufacturer...IMO.
Attachment 18166
Oh I understand the reluctance for sure. By their sidestepping the question, I'm left to believe I've proven that they can't demonstrate compliance with the standard. Otherwise why not just show how it does comply?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #44
meaz93*

I get it....theirs a right way of going about your business, than theirs obviously the wrong way.
Keystone is a large corporation and this issue probably isn't the first time they have been called out on a design and or safety issue?
Problem is the out of pocket cost litigations to bring legal proceedings against Keystone....is it worth it?
It's not good customer service from them for sure.
As a business owner myself, the customer is always right....and I have to at least try and make it right whenever their is an issue with our service & product.
Especially considering word of mouth is essentially important to the success of my business.
You are at least doing your due diligence on this matter.
I know its frustrating, but maybe it's time to pull the rip cord.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #45
John&Genny

I’m sure Keystone’s lawyers advised them NOT to do any kind of repairs or modifications because in doing so they would be admitting that there may be some kind of fire saftety issue with the TT. And then if there ever was a case where someone was hurt during a fire with that particular model, then other lawyers would be asking “You knew there was a problem and yet you didn’t issue a recall?”.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #46
bob91yj

The only part of the warranty that I think they could reasonably void is if there is a leak on the new window. Replacing a window would have nothing to do with a chassis warranty claim for instance. (I'm in the car business, deal with modified vehicles and warranties every day.)
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
The only part of the warranty that I think they could reasonably void is if there is a leak on the new window. Replacing a window would have nothing to do with a chassis warranty claim for instance. (I'm in the car business, deal with modified vehicles and warranties every day.)
I think the window itself and any problems it caused along with extended damage would be denied - and they would try to tie most anything back to the faulty window...….window leaked, it ran down inside the wall, penetrated the floor, sat on top of the axle for a long period with salt in it causing the frame to rust and crack..... I know, silly, but they can come up with some "stuff" given an opening.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:03 PM   #48
meaz93*

Your at the mercy of the RV Stealership and "their" interpretation of the warranty.
I'd hate to see them void interior appliances, fans, walls, whatever they deem ties it to the window replacement-lol.....etc..
Old 08-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #49
travelin texans

As I said, don't tell anyone you've replaced it ! Order the window on line, install it yourself, the dealership won't know the difference & proceed with any warranty issues as usual. I seriously doubt they've red flagged your name to check that window before doing any warranty work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As I said, don't tell anyone you've replaced it ! Order the window on line, install it yourself, the dealership won't know the difference & proceed with any warranty issues as usual. I seriously doubt they've red flagged your name to check that window before doing any warranty work.
^^^^From my experiences (many) I would say you are on the money.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #51
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
This is the correct answer. Besides, if you take it in because the AC or Fridge crapped out the dealership isn't even going to look at the window, let alone try to deny you a claim.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #52
asherdav

That is Keystones answer to all design issues. So sorry but that is the way it is and you will not get anyfurther with them. Sell it and beware the next time you purchase. I have learned the hard way as well. The response I got was and I quote"The unit was built as designed"End of story.
asherdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #53
asherdav

The standard reply and I will quote Keystone is "The unit was built as desinged". Now if you change the window to other than designed it will void the warranty. So sorry but they have and will continue to cover themselves from any issues that arrive.
asherdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #54
madmaxmutt

I would think warranty issues would still need to pass Magnuson-Moss requirements. They cannot claim your window change stopped them from covering anything other than the window.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #55
LuvsPalmTrees

We have 2 - one in the main bedroom and one behind the sofa. Personally - I would break a leg or neck getting out of the egress window. We sit up high and I am only 5 ft, so dropping out of it would hurt - but better than burned.
Also, I had a bunkhouse and we only had one egress window in our old trailer, that was behind the dinette and it was a slider so you would have to kick out the window. The actual door was right across, so if you can get to the window, you can go out the door. Made no sense to me.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #56
Hodgy

Warranty, what warranty ? ? ? ?

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #57
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post

Warranty, what warranty ? ? ? ?

Per the OP..."We bought a Passport 3290bh this summer.". It should have a warranty.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #58
NevadaRich

I'm late to this meeting, but why does my Toy Hauler have a escape window in the garage, when I have a side door and if needed, can open the garage door to get people out!!

Keep after them, that window is needed!!!
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #59
Rubicon100

Our 2670bhs has an escape window in the front bedroom and one in the bunkhouse. I'm with everyone else change it yourself and leave it be. The dealer will not even know what windows it came with as long as you don't tell them. I agree it's a safety issue but if it were my kids I would change the window and move on.
2017 2670bh pulling with a 2012 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the factory tow package. Upgraded to 3.73,s after market trans cooler. All fluids changed to valvolene synthetic. Air lift 2000 bags and an equalizer 4 point hitch.
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #60
Jefster

So if I have to change it myself, where would I go about finding a window that isn't from the dealership? I mean I'm up for it if I can get a hold of one, it's just that it's a brand new trailer, and it's going back to the dealer to fix up a few things that we've noticed in our first 30 days. Stuff like the screen door doesn't close or latch, there's a screw working it's way out of one of the bunks, trim is coming down everywhere, stuff like that.

Tags
keystone