Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
Knewbee needing help

Question Door locks

Hi, new to this forum and looking for thoughts on a recent issue. Husband and I are staying in an RV while house is being built. This is not our RV, my brother in law owns it. It's a raptor 40' toy hauler and is several years old. The Mr and I work different schedules, he works an 8-5 job while I work long shifts until middle of the night. We have one set of keys and we always do the same thing...he goes to bed with the kitchen door completely unlocked and I get home and lock the deadbolt and am in for the night. The next day he goes to work and leaves the door completely unlocked and keys on the counter so I can lock up when I leave. When I go to work, I lock the keys inside a spare vehicle we have and when he gets off work in the evening, he gets inside said spare vehicle and retrieves keys and unlocks the door to do same thing all over again. Problem we had was, I got home one night, door was completely unlocked and I made it in just fine. I locked the "deadbolt" and sat at the table for an hour. I heard two clicks come from the door area and dog also looked. We didn't hear anything else so I went to bed. Mr gets up and goes to work, left keys on counter and unlocked the dead bolt and went to work. I got up shortly thereafter to let the dogs out and shut the door. Quickly found out that I was locked out. I was able to walk to town, call the Mr and he came back, helped me crawl through emergency exit and all was fine. However I cannot understand how or why this happened. The top lock, which I understand to be only the door handle lock, was what was locked when I shut the door. So to me, there wouldn't have been anything that I bumped on my way out with the dogs, and either Mr or myself would have had to put the key in the lock and turn it from the outside in order for this to happen. Neither one of us did that. I only lock the deadbolt from the inside at night time. He never locks the door on his way to work, and the keys were left on the counter anyways. How does this happen? Upon inspection while being locked out, the lock was turned in the full horizontal position so it didn't seem to me like the door was jammed. And if the door had not been fully unlocked by him when he got home from work, wouldn't I have likely had trouble getting in later on that night? I'm just confused and I'm trying to understand these locks, or if those clicks my dog and I heard were someone thinking they were picking a lock, but since it was unlocked-they actually locked it? I have no idea and I'm just looking for some thoughts! Thank you!
Knewbee needing help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Bill-2020

I have no idea on how it locked you out. It you might want to see a locksmith and get an additional set of keys cut.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know about the clicking and self locking but I do know I would not operate with one set of keys.....or 2. Upon purchase of this trailer the 1st thing DW insisted on was 2 more sets of keys. See if these guys can help:

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Getting extra keys is easy, they have a number on them, that is the pattern. Call CO. and get same key.
The locks are cheap, some have been recalled and replaced for free. The paddle handle lock will open if locked from the inside. Likely a safety feature to allow you to get out. I never use them since they are cheap and I do not trust them to not break. I use the dead bolt only.
My guess is someone , you or hubby locked it and forgot. As you learned when locked you can get out, but are now locked out.
I have been living in the RV for 21 days now as new house is not ready. Dead bolt key way just started rotating in a full circle instead of the quarter turn. I took it apart and found the backing plate in the handle was loose. Once the 2 screws were tighten up it worked normally again.
The whole door is nothing like a stick built home, 1/2 inch thick foam core and plastic with aluminium frame. A screw diver can pry it apart a man can kick right though the door. No need to defeat the locks that takes too much time.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
Knewbee needing help

Thank you, I will definitely try to get another couple sets of keys, I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to get the keys made since we don't own the camper, but maybe they don't verify that stuff, I will try it and find out ��
Knewbee needing help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:31 AM   #6
gearhead

Mine broke last week. The red lock lever inside disconnected. If its the same as mine it was $40. I changed it out in 15 minutes.

I need to get extra keys.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
Customer1

I don't know if you have Fastec (FIC) locks but there was a recall on them. Go to the page below and click on Recall Notice.
http://www.fastecindustrial.com/recall/
Old 06-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #8
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knewbee needing help View Post
Thank you, I will definitely try to get another couple sets of keys, I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to get the keys made since we don't own the camper, but maybe they don't verify that stuff, I will try it and find out ��
We're on our 3rd, or depending on how you count, 4th RV. There is only 2 of us, but we make sure we have 4 sets of keys. NO ONE I have ordered keys from cares whether you own it or not. Look at the numbers and letters on your keys. Search on Google and on Amazon. You'll find plenty of places to buy spare keys from. I think I can say they tend to run $5 to $10 for one or a pair of keys. Cheap enough to have peace of mind.

If you want help finding keys either Post a picture of your key, number side up, or PM me.

Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Besides mentioning the keys have their key code on them again, this could also be useful. The lock has the same key code on it.
If you loose the keys and do not remember the code and the door is unlocked, unscrew the door locks 4 screws and the key code is on a sticker. Use that to order new keys. No need to have a locksmith involved.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote