Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
Mcaruthers68

Heating floor ducts really hot

Anyone have any ideas Or solutions to the heating floor ducts. When we run the furnace the ducts get dangerously hot! With a 1 yr old walking around we are very worried about him stepping for falling on one of these ducts and getting burned. Not to mention if a blanket falls off during the night and covers the vent.
Mcaruthers68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
Ksupaul

I only think the back closest vent in my TT would be hot enough to worry about. Even then only for the 1 yo and not the blankets. But I would think curved floor resister air diverter would help the situation.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

You don't give a lot of info about hour situation.

I have a 35k furnace. It DOES put out a lot of heat....which we like. The ducts do get hot. Nothing to start a fire, won't blister you ....but, it is hot. I make a habit of trying to step around them. If there are little ones it should be a learning experience....hopefully if mom and dad take care of it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
Mcaruthers68

A learning experience? He’s 1... he doesn’t have the reflects like a older child or even an adult. just so I understand you correctly... my 1 yr staggers around And happens to cross over 1 of the 4 vents in the trailer.. steps on it and it startled him and he falls on top of it... now I don’t know about you but if I step on something hot or even cold without warning I instinctive react to hop, quickly move, or even lift one foot to address the sensation.. a 1 yr old can not do these things... he doesn’t even have the speed, strength, or coordination to quickly move from it. Oh a windy day is the trailer rocks while he stands he falls... so my son receives a potiently disasterous burn as a learning experience for being a toddler.. .. I guess next time I give him a bath when he slips in the tub while splashing the water, I should let just let him panic face down in the water as a learning experience!!
mom and dad are trying to take care of the vent situation, HENCE the post on this forum seeking answers and help!
Old 02-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcaruthers68 View Post
A learning experience? He’s 1... he doesn’t have the reflects like a older child or even an adult. just so I understand you correctly... my 1 yr staggers around And happens to cross over 1 of the 4 vents in the trailer.. steps on it and it startled him and he falls on top of it... now I don’t know about you but if I step on something hot or even cold without warning I instinctive react to hop, quickly move, or even lift one foot to address the sensation.. a 1 yr old can not do these things... he doesn’t even have the speed, strength, or coordination to quickly move from it. Oh a windy day is the trailer rocks while he stands he falls... so my son receives a potiently disasterous burn as a learning experience for being a toddler.. .. I guess next time I give him a bath when he slips in the tub while splashing the water, I should let just let him panic face down in the water as a learning experience!!
mom and dad are trying to take care of the vent situation, HENCE the post on this forum seeking answers and help!

I'm sorry if you took offense. I wasn't advocating you let your child roast on a heater vent to teach him. I simply noted that he will learn they get hot and avoid them....and he will learn, that's what we do as humans. With mom and dad's help/guidance children learn quicker - and "no" is a good word for a child to learn. In the meantime I would suggest you buy the infrared temp gun and check the temps for yourself. Very cheap and useful for many other things.

I think you'll find that you are needlessly worried about a "disastrous" burn. If you believe there is a burn issue due to the temp of the register being too hot you need to get it back to the dealer to have it repaired - that's not normal and could be dangerous in several ways. If you're uncomfortable letting your child learn to avoid the registers go buy replacements that don't get as warm as has been mentioned.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
Pull Toy

Just to play "Devil's advocate" here.....

1. The vents are relatively hot because that's why it's called heat!
You want heat? It has to come from somewhere.

2. There are ways to keep kid's and pets away from heat, and other hazards.
Put a TV tray or apple crate or similar obstruction, even a play-pen, over the grate. It won't catch fire, trust me... but it will let warm air out, but no direct access to the metal. Use a space heater (on the counter) or a heat pump / fireplace instead of the furnace with floor grates.

I hate to sound like a smart a** here, and those who have known me here, I hope know better, but..., I've had two daughters, and six grandkids (three of each, the youngest of which is now five,) who all knew what HOT!!! meant. Be it steam radiators, baseboard hot water, oven, fireplace, campfire, and they all survived with no scars. Until they were old enough to comprehend, it was my job to keep them safe.

For you to attack a member of this forum, who's response was well intentioned, after only a "FEW" posts on your part, is not wise. If you want to profit from the collective wealth of our myriad of members with tons of practical parenting and / or camping experience. There's a lot to be shared here!

We're here to help... but loose the attitude. You're not the first new parent to have a new camper!

By the way...

Welcome from a cranky old Grandpa!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
Mcaruthers68

Pull toy... If you read closely you will notice my issue is not that there is heat that comes from the heat ducts.. it’s the amount of heat! Nor is my question addressing as to “Why is there heat coming from the heat ducts”.. so your response 1 is confusing.. this is shocking that I have to clarity this point...

from my understanding, the function of this forum is you are able to ask questions and concerns and get legit responses. My question may be a joke to some of you but to me it’s a true concern.

You’r second response is confusing as well.. I wasn’t asking for ways to “cover up” the hot vents. My concern is, is it suppose to be extremely hot.. I appreciate your suggestions to cover the vents but it doesn’t help with the main issue.

Also, again your points are ridiculous and from your attitude you’re suggesting my 1 yr old doesn’t know what hot is... well with your experience of kids. I don’t have to tell you that a toddler doesn’t have the reaction time or stability as a child or adult. So if my son happens to walk across ( which I might add has only been waking a few weeks and still learning balance) a hot vent, his reaction ability isn’t to jump off it...
But I guess I should feel ashamed for wanting to find answers to what I think a problem is.. I think my vents are too hot and I’m concerned it may catch fire or burn my toddler son... shame on me! I must have a retard child because he can’t jump off a hot vent or hasn’t learned to control is natural exploration curiosity.. and should let him learn by trial of what hot is.. I’m glad your children were lucky enough to not get burned, I hope mine is as lucky .. if not hopefully he will learn from his first experience..

With that aside..this is absolutely insane I am not able to ask a simple question and get some simple feedback... like yes this is normal or no this isn’t normal something is wrong and you need to check your duct works or etc... instead I’m getting life lessons and parenting advice. I will not apologize for being concerned and looking out for the well being of my family as well as my investments in my RV.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #8
Mcaruthers68

Photos of the vent temp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8FE9C37F-426F-4356-869F-DE7E31723574.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	15460   Click image for larger version

Name:	466FAF2E-1F91-451A-8AD1-7AE3534F29BA.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	15461  
Old 02-13-2018, 04:31 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Knowing Danny, I don't think he was advocating for allowing your 1 year old to experience pain by accident as s learning experience.

What he was meaning was to use the vents as a learning experience taught by and with mom and dad's loving guidance. I imagine it as allowing the child to get close. They'll do this out of curiosity. Tell them no, and pull them back away from it. Then being consistent each time they get close and reiterating the no.

The vents should not be hot enough to cause a burn or start a non-flamable clothing item on fire. If it is, that's a different problem that may need a shop to correct. Harbor Freight sells cheap infrared thermometers that would allow to measure the surface temp. For $10, I'd start there. Good luck, let us know what you find. As a whole, the forum does not advocate grilling anything except steak and burgers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #10
Mcaruthers68

Right.
I rather go with actual safety measures aposed to the Illusion of safety in my curious son abiding to the laws of “no”.. but will accept Danny’s intentions were good..

Moving on.. i realize the vents aren’t supposed to be getting that hot.. truly, I wish they weren’t.. but they are.. and yes hot enough to cause a nasty burn. I’ll look into that infrared thermometer (I’m sure it will come in handy in other areas too). And I most definitely want to keep seared flesh in the proper cooking device outside! thanks for your tip
Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If the vents are getting hot enough to produce "seared flesh" then you need to take the trailer back to the dealer and have it repaired. That's too hot, will become a safety issue either the next time the furnace is used or the day after Keystone's warranty expires. Either way, the vent is "too hot"..... I have a metal floor vent that sits about 3' from the furnace outlet to the floor ducting. That vent never gets hotter than the other vents in that line, the furthest is about 12' away from the furnace outlet.

I'd urge you to let the dealership take a look at the ducting. Seared flesh temperature is much more hazardous than "very warm" temperature. Ours is not really beyond the brink of "very warm" but is more on the "noticeably but not damagingly warm".... Yours should not "sear flesh" even in the vernacular.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #12
jkohler70

I can only advise that, while stepping on the vent may cause pain, there is virtually no chance of an actual injury. An object must be at least 111 degrees F to cause a second degree burn, but that would take hours. It would take 6 seconds for a 140 degree object to cause a second degree burn. Your furnace is likely putting out air no hotter than 100 - 125 degrees.
The vent might "hurt", but it probably won't "harm".
Old 02-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #13
Bisjoe

See if you can adapt the decorative wooden standard home vent covers available at Home Depot to replace them. Wood won't get nearly as hot to the touch as metal. I wouldn't worry about it with our 2 year old grandson, but at age 1, that is a concern just as it would be in the house with heater vents, oven, or a fireplace.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #14
dcg9381

Agree with the non-parenting comments. If the vents are really hot, it's probably an issue with a lack of air flow in the duct and may need to be looked at. The furnace on these things does put out some BTUs, but shouldn't be dangerously hot.

Another alternative - when hooked to the grid is to use space heaters. With a 1 year old, just putting them on the counter top keeps them out of trouble. If you have 50A service, you can easily run 2 x 1500 watt heaters, which warm my 37' rig until it gets to be below 40 outside. Much quieter than the furnace and cheaper than propane.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #15
Butchh

Assuming the furnace is working properly and not producing a dangerous amount of heat. Here's an alternate solution; switch the vents from metal to plastic. The conductivity of plastic is significantly less than metal and therefore will not 'feel' as hot. Once your child has grown a bit, you can switch the vents back to metal or not.

I hope this helps.
Butchh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #16
Barbell

I'm with John on this one. When I get out of bed, I step barefooted on the vent that it next to the foot of the bed and even tho the furnace has been running for awhile, it is never hot. Feels good on a cold morning. There is something wrong; get it looked at while the rig is still in warranty.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #17
dcg9381

Heck if you can get them to drop the belly pan under warranty, heck of a deal... Ask them to look at "anything else kinked" that might be under there...

Fix the AC ducting while you're at at.. :-)
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #18
notanlines

All good advice, as usual for this forum. But Butch of Calgary seems to be in the lead right now. Kudos to you, Butch.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #19
Ksupaul

We will be doing some cold camping this weekend I think. I will be taking an infrared therm and measuring temp of my 3 vents for comparison. Will report back.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 AM   #20
Ksupaul

Used infrared thermometer last night. The two vents closet to the furnace put air out with temps from 145 to 160 degrees at its highest. The vent grate was 135-140 for the first 10 seconds once furnace shut off. Take that for what it’s worth.

Tags
floor, heat