Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2019, 04:39 AM   #1
Duramike

Condensation While Traveling

Hey everyone. We had a new experience yesterday and trying to understand the situation. We had two days of 60 degree weather prior to pulling out. When we started our trip the next morning at 6:00 am the temp had dropped to 22 degrees. We did load a few things in the rv that morning and all was good. After towing the rv south to Meridian MS, where is was 65 degrees and raining, we opened the rv and found condensation everywhere. Had to wipe down all cabinets, doors, etc. Even some clothing felt damp. We have made this same trip each winter and this is the first time we have had this issue. Any idea why this change? Does anyone use a moisture absorbent in their rv to help alleviate this problem?

Thanks,
Mike
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:31 AM   #2
rhagfo

Did you have any vents or windows open? How long was the trip? If the trailer was closed up and talking about less than four hours or so I would think cabinets and walls very cold still.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #3
Duramike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Did you have any vents or windows open? How long was the trip? If the trailer was closed up and talking about less than four hours or so I would think cabinets and walls very cold still.
We had one overhead vent open. No windows. Including stops we were around 10 hours on the road. About 8 hours drive time. St. Louis to Meridian, MS.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 AM   #4
Frank G

Mike, a week or so ago was your unit was exposed to the Polar Vortex? If so it was frozen to the core, and exposing it to high humidity 65 deg. conditions will produce condensation. My thoughts are, when conditions improve, turn the heat on and thaw it out. open the roof vent and a window a little.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:13 AM   #5
Duramike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Mike, a week or so ago was your unit was exposed to the Polar Vortex? If so it was frozen to the core, and exposing it to high humidity 65 deg. conditions will produce condensation. My thoughts are, when conditions improve, turn the heat on and thaw it out. open the roof vent and a window a little.
Frank, yes the polar vortex was very evident in our area. I didn’t think about that very cold spell. I bet that is the difference from years past. Good point!
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
Duramike

So... does anyone use any moisture absorbing products to help this situation? If so, which are best? Thanks everyone.

Mike
Old 02-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
tacoma238ml

WE use the moisture and odor absorber the small plastic container type We get them at the dollar stores we keep them in throughout in cabinets and in the storage areas
tacoma238ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramike View Post
So... does anyone use any moisture absorbing products to help this situation? If so, which are best? Thanks everyone.

Mike

I believe some folks use a product called DampRid which absorbs some moisture. For very humid situations I don't know if they would suffice. I've seen the product at Walmart. We use an actual dehumidifier which does an amazing job. Here is an excerpt that describes how products like DampRid work if you're interested;

Types of Desiccant Dehumidifiers
1. Disposable desiccant dehumidifiers – also called “moisture absorbers”, the two most prominent features of this type of desiccant dehumidifier are their price and the fact that their disposable. These products are very inexpensive but cannot be reused. They also remove very little moisture per day and cannot be used for large spaces. That’s not to say that they don’t have any use at all. Moisture absorbers are perfect for the right situation. To learn more, see our reviews for two such products below.
DampRid FG50T
DampRid FG83LV

Here is a link to the entire article:

http://www.dehumidifierbuyersguide.c...ifier-reviews/
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Duramike

Thanks for the info and advice everyone. I found this to be an abnormal situation. The polar vortex explanation seems to fit. Looks like I’ll be checking out dehumidifiers in the near future. Thanks again and happy camping everyone.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
Theoldroaddog

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	20361 We use this in our RV. It is always plugged in at home so there is always 110 volt power. We use damp rid when we boondock.
Theoldroaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
GaRoadRunner

Do you feel that unit helps keep the humidity level down? I tried a non compressor type and it took forever to draw even a small amount of moisture from the air, this was in high humidity Ga summer weather.
GaRoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote