Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
busterbrown

Advise / Suggestions Needed For A Cross Country Trip To The National Parks In AZ & UT

We're taking our 3 children on a 25 day adventure from Michigan to the southwest. Our sights are focused on the Grand Circle National parks of Arizona and Utah, including Bryce, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and Mesa Verde.

We'll be departing the last week of March and returning around April 21. This gives us 3 solid weeks of an open calendar to fill up. This will also be our first attempt at dispersed camping on BLM land (hopefully at least half our travel days). Looking forward to that. We don't really have an structured itinerary as we want to be able to plan on the fly (weather will have a big influence).

Looking for some sound advice, recommendations, and "must see's" on our journey at this time of the year. We originally were planning a summer trip but dont want to fight the crowds or heat with our 3 kids. Any replies are appreciated.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:26 AM   #2
notanlines

Chris, we're excited for you. I can't give you much advice on traveling with small children that hasn't been hashed over repeatedly. (We are a little curious about their ages)
What I will say is that a number of the sites you mentioned are pretty much scenery-oriented destinations. You won't have many votes for "father of the year" with those three if they have to suffer through many miles of looking at hundred-thousand year old dead stone trees.
Keep us up on your progress along the way. Many younger members on here will need to learn through your experiences. Many of us old farts will mainly want to snicker at your mistakes, knowing we made them time and again.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #3
jamcbride

Great to see. We too will be embarking on a big adventure this summer. Starting in Indiana and heading out west and then up to Glacier National Park in Grand Canyon area. We too will be traveling with kids 15 and 13. We are really looking forward to this. I will be looking for some suggestions perhaps on ideas and also maybe travel prep.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
travelin texans

[QUOTE=jamcbride;322562]Great to see. We too will be embarking on a big adventure this summer. Starting in Indiana and heading out west and then up to Glacier National Park in Grand Canyon area. We too will be traveling with kids 15 and 13. We are really looking forward to this. I will be looking for some suggestions perhaps on ideas and also maybe travel prep.[/QUOTE

If your teenage kids are like my grandchildren of the same ages the only scenery they'll see on the entire trip is what's on their phone or Ipad, they'll raise their head when you point out something of interest & say "UH HUH!" & back at the game.
So take lots of pictures so in a few years you can remind them that in 2019 they were there, to their total surprise & missed what beautiful scenery the good Lord & Mother Nature teamed up to create.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #5
Canonman

An adventurous outing to say the least!
I can tell you that most of the places you want to visit will be COLD in early April. But since you're from Michigan you're probably OK with that. Also, you'll be way ahead of the summer crowds. Zion and Arches will likely be the warmest of the planned venues. Bryce likely the coldest. I'd recommend adding Hovenweep Natl Monument and Monument Valley to your list. Both are on the way to South Rim Grand Canyon form Mesa Verdi. Here is a link to some photos of the areas you'll be visiting.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...hp?albumid=761
There are several BLM and dry camp opportunities around Moab and Bryce plus several State Park camping options with spaces large enough for your rig. I'd be happy to provide some specifics. If you're interested just shoot me a PM.
Just a thought, I'd check the kids interest in Native American culture and history as well as landscape photography and hiking just to be sure you'll be ticking off some of their boxes on this trip. They may have entirely different likes and interests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0200.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	19929   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0786.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	19930   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1673.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	19931   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4669.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	19932  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

When my DD and SIL were stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, we towed our trailer (complete with our 16 YO DS) through Texas and "parked" (no camping there) at Circus Circus RV Park. Our DS had other plans for his summer vacation and was, by no means, "thrilled" about sitting in the back of a truck for a week, let alone "visiting with his sister" <yacht>

That was not a "happy trip" and every time we stopped to view something "we thought to be spectacular"... We were met with a "moody teenager hell bent on proving how miserable he was"....

So, make sure you include things that will keep the kids interested and eager for the next adventure. To them, things you find "spectacular" may be another "oh well, mom and dad liked it so we had to go" event for them. Don't forget to include an amusement park, a museum with dinosaurs and interactive learning for them or things that will help them enjoy more than "a bunch of rocks" for a 3 week trip......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
bsmith0404

As long as your in the Southwest, don’t miss White Sands National Monument and Carlsbad Caverns in NM.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
ken56

Are you prepared for cold weather camping? Have extra propane tanks available. You mention dispersed camping so how do you plan to empty your tanks? Fresh water? With 5 people that is pretty high demand. Your trip sounds like a wonderful experience for the kids....and you and your wife too, but you will need access to services and that time of year you might want to check what campgrounds are open. Challenges abound.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
We're taking our 3 children on a 25 day adventure from Michigan to the southwest. Our sights are focused on the Grand Circle National parks of Arizona and Utah, including Bryce, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and Mesa Verde.

We'll be departing the last week of March and returning around April 21. This gives us 3 solid weeks of an open calendar to fill up. This will also be our first attempt at dispersed camping on BLM land (hopefully at least half our travel days). Looking forward to that. We don't really have an structured itinerary as we want to be able to plan on the fly (weather will have a big influence).

Looking for some sound advice, recommendations, and "must see's" on our journey at this time of the year. We originally were planning a summer trip but dont want to fight the crowds or heat with our 3 kids. Any replies are appreciated.
Been there done that several times. Plenty of things to do that the kids will like. Traveling and sightseeing might be boring for them though.

It can be quite chilly at that time of the year, probably still have some snow in the higher elevations like Bryce. I'd do some research on the weather so your prepared. Some of the campgrounds might not even be open until May.

Bryce is pretty but don't remember much there, we did stay at a campground near the area and went horseback riding one day which was fun.

Zion again is pretty. If the weather permits the most fun would be to hike up the narrows. The kids will love it. Again do some research on it because I don't know all the details on it nowadays.

We stayed in Williams and took the train ride into the park. They play it up with a train robbery and all so it's fun.

Arches is fantastic. Just stop and get out on the short hikes around the arches. The kids will enjoy the adventure.

Mesa Verde is a great place to get out and see the ruins. Take the tour through the ruins and they get to crawl through tunnels and climb ladders! Do the research as you'll need to get tickets for the tours.

Depending on your route the Dinosaur National Monument is pretty cool for the kids too and it's in the same general area.

It's so beautiful out there. In 2004 we took our two boys ages 11 & 15 on a big circle from Connecticut, down south and out to California and then up north and across back to Connecticut. Took us 31 days and over 9000 miles of driving. To be honest I think the kids loved the game rooms at the campgrounds the most. [emoji16] We've been out there several more times and always enjoy it.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #10
Steve/

You have the main ones covered, add Hovenweep Nat'l Mon and Goblin Valley State Park.
I would slide your date 2 weeks later as other have said, high country can be cold and snow.
Utal has lots of dispersed camping.
I would do a search of this site as this area come up a lot.
Depending how you travel Colorado, you have the Great Sand Dunes National Park.
There is more around the west then you can see in 25 days.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Chris, we're excited for you. I can't give you much advice on traveling with small children that hasn't been hashed over repeatedly. (We are a little curious about their ages)
What I will say is that a number of the sites you mentioned are pretty much scenery-oriented destinations. You won't have many votes for "father of the year" with those three if they have to suffer through many miles of looking at hundred-thousand year old dead stone trees.
Jim, Our children will be 4, 5, and 8. They are rambunctious boys who love exploring, hiking, and the camping scene. They are not the typical "head buried in your devices" children. If they were teenagers, it might be a little different. Our trip is going to be an active one with frequent stops in the more northern parks, not staying more than 1 or 2 nights near Bryce and Zion towards the end of our trip. We planning on treking through Page, AZ for a view of the slot canyon (might even do a tour if they're operating). Our kids will enjoy that. Camping (off grid) in the desert is something our oldest is excited to do, as all we know as a family is the traditional campground stays. Our 2 generators and upgraded golf cart battery bank will keep it somewhat civilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcbride View Post
Great to see. We too will be embarking on a big adventure this summer. Starting in Indiana and heading out west and then up to Glacier National Park in Grand Canyon area. We too will be traveling with kids 15 and 13. We are really looking forward to this. I will be looking for some suggestions perhaps on ideas and also maybe travel prep.
Good luck on your adventure. Origianally, we planned on the summer. But the crowds and summer heat deterred us otherwise. We'd rather be bundled up at night in April than dealing with the oppressive heat in Arizona around July. It actually was my wife's idea to travel in the spring, not summer. We're traveling during the kid's long easter break from school. We organized it that way so the boys wouldn't miss too many school days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If your teenage kids are like my grandchildren of the same ages the only scenery they'll see on the entire trip is what's on their phone or Ipad, they'll raise their head when you point out something of interest & say "UH HUH!" & back at the game.
So take lots of pictures so in a few years you can remind them that in 2019 they were there, to their total surprise & missed what beautiful scenery the good Lord & Mother Nature teamed up to create.
Our kids are no where near that self-absorbed teenage 'milestone'. They really do truely enjoy the hikes, campgrounds, and outdoors. We will be filming and photographing our journey so they have reference and memories of our travels. I pretty sure another trip to the southwest will be in order when they are of adolecent age. So, it'll be a different vibe then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
An adventurous outing to say the least!
I can tell you that most of the places you want to visit will be COLD in early April. But since you're from Michigan you're probably OK with that. Also, you'll be way ahead of the summer crowds. Zion and Arches will likely be the warmest of the planned venues. Bryce likely the coldest. I'd recommend adding Hovenweep Natl Monument and Monument Valley to your list. Both are on the way to South Rim Grand Canyon form Mesa Verdi. Here is a link to some photos of the areas you'll be visiting.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...hp?albumid=761
There are several BLM and dry camp opportunities around Moab and Bryce plus several State Park camping options with spaces large enough for your rig. I'd be happy to provide some specifics. If you're interested just shoot me a PM.
Just a thought, I'd check the kids interest in Native American culture and history as well as landscape photography and hiking just to be sure you'll be ticking off some of their boxes on this trip. They may have entirely different likes and interests.
Thanks Brian. I may shoot you a message as the trip gets a bit more structured. I'm very intersted in your BLM and dry camping recommendations, near Bryce and Moab. We are ok with the colder weather...we camp in 30 and 40 degree temps during the Halloween season. Kids love it. We definitely prefer the cooler days vs the hotter ones. The crowds is what we are trying to avoid. From what I hear, the South rim of GCNP can be challenging to enjoy during peak season. Even the more northern parks require a "crack of down" arrival to beat the crowds. That's just not possible with our boys.

I've read about Monument Valley and Hovenweep. They may be our destination list too. I'm trying to put together a rough travel map as we're starting in the warmer climate of the greater Phoenix area first, visiting friends. We may even visit Quartzsite and the Salton Sea as we make our way north to the Hoover Dam and Las Vegas. We passed up the damn dam tour last time we were there. From Vegas, we plan on the trek eastward towards Flagstaff. At that point, we can adjust our schedule and plans as we see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When my DD and SIL were stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, we towed our trailer (complete with our 16 YO DS) through Texas and "parked" (no camping there) at Circus Circus RV Park. Our DS had other plans for his summer vacation and was, by no means, "thrilled" about sitting in the back of a truck for a week, let alone "visiting with his sister" <yacht>

That was not a "happy trip" and every time we stopped to view something "we thought to be spectacular"... We were met with a "moody teenager hell bent on proving how miserable he was"....

So, make sure you include things that will keep the kids interested and eager for the next adventure. To them, things you find "spectacular" may be another "oh well, mom and dad liked it so we had to go" event for them. Don't forget to include an amusement park, a museum with dinosaurs and interactive learning for them or things that will help them enjoy more than "a bunch of rocks" for a 3 week trip......
John, we're not exposed to the "moody teenage" years yet. But we do have plenty of entertainment opportunities to ward off the inherent bordem that travel brings. Unlimited cellular wifi access including a Weboost RV connect 65 to ensure plenty of connectivity and happy children. And ample stops along the way. We added the Vegas/Hoover Dam segment into the trip for just that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
As long as your in the Southwest, don’t miss White Sands National Monument and Carlsbad Caverns in NM.
We may. I will research a bit and check them both out. Thanks Brent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
Are you prepared for cold weather camping? Have extra propane tanks available. You mention dispersed camping so how do you plan to empty your tanks? Fresh water? With 5 people that is pretty high demand. Your trip sounds like a wonderful experience for the kids....and you and your wife too, but you will need access to services and that time of year you might want to check what campgrounds are open. Challenges abound.
Ken, I think we are. We have four 20 lb tanks of LP at our disposal. From my understanding, propane is readily available be it at local gas stations or big city centers. We have 2 working inverter generators for power as we need it. I have upgraded to a bank of 6 volt golf cart batteries and a 2000 watt inverter so it'll give us more "quiet time" off grid. As far as campgrounds, we'll be sure to call ahead as we can't lock in locations this far out. As were not travelling during peak summer season, I don't believe it'll be too difficult to find campground vacanties during the spring. Challenges are good exercise for the soul, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Been there done that several times. Plenty of things to do that the kids will like. Traveling and sightseeing might be boring for them though.

It can be quite chilly at that time of the year, probably still have some snow in the higher elevations like Bryce. I'd do some research on the weather so your prepared. Some of the campgrounds might not even be open until May.

Bryce is pretty but don't remember much there, we did stay at a campground near the area and went horseback riding one day which was fun.

Zion again is pretty. If the weather permits the most fun would be to hike up the narrows. The kids will love it. Again do some research on it because I don't know all the details on it nowadays.

We stayed in Williams and took the train ride into the park. They play it up with a train robbery and all so it's fun.

Arches is fantastic. Just stop and get out on the short hikes around the arches. The kids will enjoy the adventure.

Mesa Verde is a great place to get out and see the ruins. Take the tour through the ruins and they get to crawl through tunnels and climb ladders! Do the research as you'll need to get tickets for the tours.

Depending on your route the Dinosaur National Monument is pretty cool for the kids too and it's in the same area.
Thanks Steve. Appreciate all your suggestions especially the Dinosour monument. I watched a YouTube video on it some time ago and completely forgot about it until now.

Arches and Moab are on our list to see. We weren't planning on traveling through Colorado in the high country as it can be hit or miss at those elevations. So Mesa Verde would be a last minute decision.

The Williams train ride and robbery would be very cool for our kids. Looking into it now. Thanks a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve/ View Post
You have the main ones covered, add Hovenweep Nat'l Mon and Goblin Valley State Park.
I would slide your date 2 weeks later as other have said, high country can be cold and snow.
Utal has lots of dispersed camping.
I would do a search of this site as this area come up a lot.
Depending how you travel Colorado, you have the Great Sand Dunes National Park.
There is more around the west then you can see in 25 days.
Steve, I know what you mean. The destinations and sites are endless in the west. Wish we had 3 months to visit Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and California. Probably still wouldn't be enough time to see everything.

I wish we could move the dates back 2 or 3 weeks. We're planning around our 8 year old’s spring break. I did tell my wife that we will push back the dates if old man winter has blanketed the roads out of the midwest states, especially Michigan. It's a crap shoot in late March for fair weather.

-------------------------------

Thanks for the input and suggestions so far. The research and planning stages are a big motivator. Hope to read more suggestions.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:56 PM   #12
bfam5

We did a cross country trip last summer for 50 nights with 3 boys: 11, 12, 13. Audio books worked very well to pass the time during the drive. We made it through all the Harry Potter books.

Sounds like a fun trip. Best wishes!

2017 Springdale 260TBWE
2009 Rockwood HW276 (sold)
2006 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 6.5' bed
bfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 AM   #13
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfam5 View Post
We did a cross country trip last summer for 50 nights with 3 boys: 11, 12, 13. Audio books worked very well to pass the time during the drive. We made it through all the Harry Potter books.

Sounds like a fun trip. Best wishes!
Thanks Joe. Wish I could get the wife to commit to 50 nights on the road but it would have to be in the summer. Although the problem is just that...she hates the heat. And we both I hate the crowds. So, we're limited to a spring adventure.

The audio books are a good idea for our 8 year old....not so much for the 3 and 4 year old. Thank God for unlimited data plans and mobile hotspots on our travel days.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #14
cw-jw

Southwest

While you are there, be sure to go to Page, AZ and visit the "slot" canyons. They are outstanding and worth the trip
cw-jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #15
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw-jw View Post
While you are there, be sure to go to Page, AZ and visit the "slot" canyons. They are outstanding and worth the trip
There are two that are the most popular, Upper and Lower Antelope Canyons.
These are both on Navajo Reservation land and are both guided tours. The upper canyon is the busiest and features the orange and red colors. Lower is less crowded and I think just as unique with more purple and deep red colors in the rock. The canyons are basically caves with a crack in the roof
If you do visit there, don't miss Horseshoe Bend overlook. Another unique spot and available at no charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4158.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	19994   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4201 - Version 3.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	19995   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4545.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	19996   Click image for larger version

Name:	horseshoe-bend.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	19997  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:50 AM   #16
MidMOTraveler

Not sure what your travel route might be.
Just be prepared if you’re going through Colorado that time of year. We spent 3 unplanned days waiting for roads to be safe for travel. April spring break !
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #17
bbalay

Good luck on your up coming trip. But, IMHO, your tentative itinerary would require a minimum of 3 months. So much to see and do. Wonderful scenery so please take your camera(s). I don't see how you could squeeze it in but a day trip to Sedona, AZ when you are in the the Grand Canyon area would be time well spent.

My wife and I lived in Tucson for 25 years and made several trips encompassing these parks. As well as, Cedar Breaks, Capitol Reef, Canyon Lands, Grand Escalante, Death Valley, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, etc.
If you like majestic landscapes you'll be back.
bbalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #18
LewisB

Grand Canyon

If you will be on the north side of the Grand Canyon (Brice, Zion, etc.), make sure to go to the NORTH rim of the Grand Canyon. The north rim is about 1800 feet higher in elevation and IMHO is significantly nicer than the south rim. From Jacobs Lake, AZ, it is about 50 miles south into the GCNP and there is a significant amount of dispersed camping along that road.

After seeing the beautiful North Rim and Grand Canyon Lodge, you could drive the approx 300 miles to go around to the south rim, but I bet you will be disappointed. The south rim is packed with tour buses, warmer, fewer trees, hundreds and hundreds of cars coupled with inadequate parking, etc. There is just no comparison in my mind.

Also, take the time to go through Grand Staircase/Escalante in Utah. Incredible rock formations as far as the eye can see - especially from a motorcycle!
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 AM   #19
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
If you will be on the north side of the Grand Canyon (Brice, Zion, etc.), make sure to go to the NORTH rim of the Grand Canyon. The north rim is about 1800 feet higher in elevation and IMHO is significantly nicer than the south rim. From Jacobs Lake, AZ, it is about 50 miles south into the GCNP and there is a significant amount of dispersed camping along that road.

After seeing the beautiful North Rim and Grand Canyon Lodge, you could drive the approx 300 miles to go around to the south rim, but I bet you will be disappointed. The south rim is packed with tour buses, warmer, fewer trees, hundreds and hundreds of cars coupled with inadequate parking, etc. There is just no comparison in my mind.

Also, take the time to go through Grand Staircase/Escalante in Utah. Incredible rock formations as far as the eye can see - especially from a motorcycle!
Thanks Brad. The North Rim is on our itinerary. I've been told it's a completely different experience. I'm not sure we'd be seeing massive crowds on the south rim at the time of year we're going. I could be wrong though. Another member suggested a stop over in Williams to take the train into the south rim. The ride would include a staged robbery our boys would get a kick out of.

Dispersed camping near the north rim is most definite. Any idea of the typical weather conditions on the north side around mid April?

Old 01-25-2019, 02:07 AM   #20
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post
Not sure what your travel route might be.
Just be prepared if you’re going through Colorado that time of year. We spent 3 unplanned days waiting for roads to be safe for travel. April spring break !
We're going to try and avoid traveling through Colorado. We dont want to risk it at elevation. If it were late May, we probably would route along I-70.