Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #21
CWSWine

That good to know that "The manufacturers do not set the legal limits." Since the 'Manufacture GVWR and the Manufacture GAWR" are both listed on the "Federal Safety Compliance Certification Label" are all manufacture ratings and the legal limit is 20,000 pounds on my F150 axles. Heck with Manufacture Ratings they put on tires since they Manufactures can't set legal limits.

I don't think that is correct information and also dangerous information that you can register the weight you need to haul and don't pay any attention to Manufacture Specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Here is a post forum another forum where a retired state weigh master explains it.

"
Question: My concern is the legal aspect of being so close, or barely above the legal limit.

His answer: Legally there is no difference between an F-250 and an F-350. The manufacturers do not set the legal limits. That's what your legislature does. The 10,000 lbs you referred to is not a legal weight restriction. Ford, GMC, Chevy, Dodge nor any other truck maker determines legal weight. They don't make the laws.
Generally, the legal weight limits are 20,000 lbs on a single axle. You're not anywhere close to the legal limit with your 5er nor will you be with either the F-250 or F-350.
Some states register vehicles based on the weight they haul. For example, if you register your truck for 10,000 lbs then that's the max weight you can haul. But if you want to haul 14,000 lbs then you buy registration for the increased weight.
But in either example, the manufacturer has nothing to do with either."

In another post he wrote:

"You guys keep quoting GVWR. Obviously neither of you understand that GVWR is not actual weight. GVWR is Gross Vehicle WEIGHT RATING. A rating. Not actual weight."
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #22
CWSWine

Here are couple more easily verifiable facts.

If you trucks is rated to carry say tow 17,000 pounds SAFETY by SAE J2807 it must be able staying under both the GVWR and the GAWR of the truck. Here is my reference:

"5.4 GVWR/Rear GAWR and Tongue Weight/Kingpin Weight Considerations:
The tow vehicle shall be able to accommodate appropriate trailer tongue without exceeding Rear GAWR and/or GVWR.e and/or kingpin weight to attain a particular TWR Required minimum conventional trailer tongue weight shall be 10% of TWR and required minimum fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer kingpin weight shall be 15% of TWR."
TWR = Trailer Weight Rating
http://fifthwheelst.com/documents/to...ds-2016-02.pdf

Here is another one that listed in the tow guides and the truck's manual you carry in your glove box.

“5th-Wheel Towing Notes:
This information also applies to models with pickup box delete option (66D). Trailer kingpin load weight should be 15% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure that the vehicle payload (reduced by option weight) will accommodate trailer kingpin load weight and the weight of passengers and cargo added to the towing vehicle. The addition of trailer kingpin load weight, and the weight of passengers and cargo, must not cause vehicle weights to exceed the rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) or GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). These ratings can be found on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification Label”
On Page 30
https://www.ford.com/services/assets...Duty&year=2018

This was sent to me by the GMC Fleet Manager when I ask about exceeding the GVWR of my GMC truck.

You may not give much thought about those figures while making short trips or carrying a couple of small items, but when it comes time to load your GMC with lots of passengers or cargo, it’s important to keep your GMC’s GVWR in mind. Failure to do so may result in you exceeding the GVWR and overloading your vehicle.

Overloading your truck or SUV can carry severe consequences, including:

Broken springs and suspension components due to excess weight
Brakes unable to stop the truck or SUV in a timely manner
Transmission and other driveline components may overheat and sustain serious damage
Unusual suspension behavior, making the vehicle hard to control
Tire temperatures rising to elevated levels, potentially leading to a blowout

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/...-weight-rating
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #23
RegardingEverything

Well friends...

First and foremost, I am incredibly grateful for all of the helpful advice and wisdom offered. I spent most of Friday scouring various forums and other sources for additional information as I was terrified about the choices we made, concerned for safety and contemplating what on earth we would do. I quickly realized just how contentious this topic is. Rightfully so. If you see someone headed toward a situation you believe could be dangerous to them and people around them, the most humane and kind thing to do is speak up... however I also saw how quickly posts related to weight often seem to have a way of morphing into a black-hole of frustration, condescension and downright anger. I’m grateful that has not happened on this thread, however I am afraid it still could and that is something I will do my best to avoid for my own mental peace. I actually debated responding because I feared exacerbating any friction, but we feel incredibly indebted to those of you who took your time to respond so kindly and thoroughly. We learned so much from you and I wanted to let you know how things went.

Ironically, as we were on the highway heading to the CAT scales with my heart in my stomach over whether our truck was going to break in half or our back tires were going to burst (I can be a bit catastrophic with my anxieties) and over the possibilities waiting for us on the scale, a GM250 with low-profile tires cruised past us towing a triple-axle toy-hauler with a sand-rail trailered behind that! People do make... interesting... choices... but who am I to judge considering where/why we are going. Sadly, he was pulled off to the side of the highway a little further up and a distinctly burnt smell hung heavy in the area. Ugh. My heart hurt a bit for him — but how good it’s just the truck that’s injured and not a person or people.

Anywhoo, we had our weigh-in and found we were far under what I’d been invisioning, and we are comfortable with where we are in relation to axle-rating, pin and GVWR. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Though we’ve been planning on replacing the truck’s tires anyway, we found the current ones have a capacity far higher than the weight they were holding.

Knowing what we know now, would we have purchased the same TV/5er combo? No... because I prefer plenty of wiggle-room and we don’t have much of it with this set-up. Thanks to your kind assistance and our weigh information, we will be conscientious about where/what we load in the 5th and in the TV. (Look at me... using acronyms and whatnot... I actually had to look up what TV was... knew it couldn’t be television ) We believe we are capable of safely and responsibly traveling with what we have until such a time we decide to/are able to upgrade. Just no wiggling.

Thank you all again. Definitely got more than I could have anticipated out of an introductory forum - but we are so grateful for the help and information and we’re better for it.

Happy travels friends.
RegardingEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

I'm glad your weights turned out satisfactorily; I expected they wouldn't. A trip to the scales is mandatory IMO when you are towing what you suspect is close to your limits. I, like you, like to have "wiggle room" and not be at the limits of any of my weights. Good luck, happy camping and keep an eye on what you load.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #25
notanlines

Good for you! Literally! It makes a trip more enjoyable knowing your equipment is built to handle what's coming. Don't be a stranger.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #26
66joej

Good to hear!
And by the way we love your part of the world, in the winter that is.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #27
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Now that that is behind you go have some fun!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #28
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegardingEverything View Post
Thank you all again. Definitely got more than I could have anticipated out of an introductory forum - but we are so grateful for the help and information and we’re better for it.

Happy travels friends.
Glad you got it figure out after all the ..

Chris
Old 10-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #29
Wireman134

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegardingEverything View Post
Thank you! Happy to be here - and grateful for the concern as well. We did extensive research prior to purchase, and our particular model Ram’s towing capacity is over 17000 lbs with a hitch capacity just over 2500... This particular Laredo has a pin weight of 2,385. Took it up over some steep mountain passes with our first trip and it did great!
Payload capacity is 2,500lbs.? Dry pin weight 2,385lbs. is just that dry weight not anything in the trailer. Payload capacity just over 2,500lbs. includes hitch, passengers and all cargo. You are at max payload capacity with that 2500 Diesel with a empty trailer. You need a 3500 SRW at minimum.
Wireman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #30
Wireman134

Good way to silence this thread. No way in hell your under GVWR or payload capacity ready to roll.
Wireman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #31
itat

OP didn’t say explicitly that they are under their truck’s GVWR or it’s axles ratings, just that it’s not as bad as they anticipated and that they are comfortable with the actual weight numbers and the tires are not overloaded. No sense in debating this any farther.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #32
Frank G

Pulling a 40ft, 15K trailer is 1ton Dually territory. With the dynamics of a trailer that size the stability of a SRW makes no sense.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #33
roadglide

Not to worry upgrade tires get air bags and enjoy your ride. I have seen crazy rigs just go to quartzsite Az. I have been over loaded for years with the same fiver with tv 2013 2500 duramax , the biggest difference is the yellow sticker and heavier tires and more power ,I still have air bag .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #34
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman134 View Post
Good way to silence this thread. No way in hell your under GVWR or payload capacity ready to roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
OP didn’t say explicitly that they are under their truck’s GVWR or it’s axles ratings, just that it’s not as bad as they anticipated and that they are comfortable with the actual weight numbers and the tires are not overloaded. No sense in debating this any farther.
I don’t think the OP is overly concerned about being over GVWR, likely not over rear axle and stated tires are within weight .
He also stated his first trip was a 12 hour drive and all was fine. His TV has all the same running gear and brakes both service and exhaust.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, keystone, laredo