Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #21
Msdt-99517

here is the sad picture

sold......................
Old 12-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #22
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdt-99517 View Post
makes me cringe looking at the pic
Did you level the truck when you lifted the suspension? I think Ford designs the suspension with a pretty significant rake in the rear end and it levels out when there is a heavy load. If you remove the rake from the rear end, I think you get a significant sag on the rear end when there is a heavy load. I don’t think weight distribution alone will take all of that sag out of the rear end on your truck.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #23
Msdt-99517

Hope it takes out most of it -). I may have to add bags also. All i know is that the Roadmaster active suspension is straight ****. Waste of money, wish I would of done the bags instead of it from the jump.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #24
Laredo Tugger

I think you will be very satisfied with the Roadmaster when you couple it with a quality and properly set up WDH. I had good results with the Roadmaster set up on my F250 gasser, and I was towing a large fifth wheel (have since upgraded to a one ton diesel).
I wouldn't remove the Roadmaster until after you have a complete set up (WDH and sway).
Good luck
JMO
RMc
Old 12-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
makes me cringe looking at the pic
Makes me think I wouldn't go around the block with that. SO many things wrong with it.

As Logan mentioned, did you put a "leveling" kit on it to make it look cool along with the lift? If so, it should come off IMO. "Leveling kits"/lifts and towing don't go hand in hand. To expound, lifted/leveled trucks ARE NOT optimal towing trucks. It either needs to be "cool" and "lifted" OR a towing truck. TWO completely different things. What is the need for the big lift on a towing truck? I've done lots of offroading but don't see many "nice", full size, 4x4s out tearing up the outback. They generally are just for looks. If so, drop the lift and concentrate on configuring a great tow truck.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #26
Msdt-99517

ive pulled a 37 foot freeman with that truck. Steering and braking are fine. If I thought it was dangerous I wouldn't put my family in it. So please don't start bashing.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #27
fjr vfr

It didn't sound like bashing to me. He's just pointing out facts. When you lift a truck you ad a great deal more leverage to the weight being carried on the hitch.

The force of that weight is magnified by that leverage. No bashing intended.
Good luck.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
ive pulled a 37 foot freeman with that truck. Steering and braking are fine. If I thought it was dangerous I wouldn't put my family in it. So please don't start bashing.
I'm not trying to "bash", just help. If you don't see something terribly wrong with that setup I don't know what to say. I tried to offer suggestions and observations based on experiences in both the off road and towing worlds.

On another note; just because you can "pull it" doesn't mean you are towing it safely. And, IMO, if you are taking hauls in that setup with your family.....?
I would encourage you to take the necessary steps to make sure you have an adequate setup, which it doesn't appear you have. Just remember, "steering" and "braking" on that kind of setup may be acceptable in good conditions, but, the ability to "pull" a trailer has absolutely nothing to do with its ability to properly "tow" it and trying to control a large trailer with a truck with a big lift is....not gonna happen. I've lifted, and driven, several offroad trucks and I know what happens to the handling and driving characteristics....and would not have put a large travel trailer behind any of them. Not bashing, trying to hopefully make some observations to help you think through your situation.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #29
Msdt-99517

The truck has only made a few trips like this. I started this to get help. Im doing the wd hitch Friday and hope it helps. If not I will just buy a dually
Old 12-11-2018, 07:38 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

I think (hope) we have been trying to help. If by help you mean that knowledgeable folks would just chime in and try to tell you how to make a bad situation worse, or how to make a bad situation a bit better but leave you unsafe....you need to read the "towing" threads on here. I think everyone here wants to help.

Try the wdh, it will help. Whether it will overcome the handicap of a large lift is doubtful. On the other hand if you think the only other option is a dually; I would rethink removing the lift. Unless you are doing some heavy duty off roading in really rough stuff it is serves no purpose.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #31
Logan X

I would suggest removing the lift, restoring the factory rake, and using the WTH before buying a dually.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #32
Fishsizzle

Like the lift, stick with it then. I’ve alwsys had lifted or leveled trucks. You asked for help with your current set up a got a lot of “take the lift off” talk. It’s just opions of ones that don’t like the look and think no one else should either.

Some lift kits do things differently. The “pre-runner” type kits which are big in Cali have a rear rake built in with softer rear springs, not sure if you have new springs or just a rear block kit? You could get stiffer springs from F350 if you have after market springs that came with your lift. Shock valving as well can be an issue with some kits as they try and mimic the ride of a raptor and are soft to absorb the harsh bouces with soft rides.

The WD hitch is the way to go. You can throw on a set of Bags but make sure to factor them in when you set up the hitch.

Here is my set up with my trailer, I have just a 2” front level with bags and Fastway WD hitch. And firestone bags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C228493E-FD92-4923-8741-28460024C4C5.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	19595  
Old 12-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #33
Msdt-99517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Like the lift, stick with it then. I’ve alwsys had lifted or leveled trucks. You asked for help with your current set up a got a lot of “take the lift off” talk. It’s just opions of ones that don’t like the look and think no one else should either.

Some lift kits do things differently. The “pre-runner” type kits which are big in Cali have a rear rake built in with softer rear springs, not sure if you have new springs or just a rear block kit? You could get stiffer springs from F350 if you have after market springs that came with your lift. Shock valving as well can be an issue with some kits as they try and mimic the ride of a raptor and are soft to absorb the harsh bouces with soft rides.

The WD hitch is the way to go. You can throw on a set of Bags but make sure to factor them in when you set up the hitch.

Here is my set up with my trailer, I have just a 2” front level with bags and Fastway WD hitch. And firestone bags.

looks good!
Old 12-12-2018, 05:45 AM   #34
Fishsizzle

Quote:
looks good!
Thanks, trailer is gone now and have a 5th wheel which is another can of worms and looking to get into a Dually because 5th wheel is big and Ford Tow guide is stupid.

Stick with it and you’ll get what you are after.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #35
Logan X

Quote:
I think the only “look” that people have a problem with is the trailer hitch scraping the pavement. It doesn’t seem reasonable to me that you can alter the suspension and still maintain the same towing capability. And I would say the evidence of that is the OP’s picture. You can put on airbags to make it look better, but is your towing capability compromised? If I am going to tow 10000plus pounds, I am going to make sure my tow vehicle is up to the task.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #36
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I think the only “look” that people have a problem with is the trailer hitch scraping the pavement. It doesn’t seem reasonable to me that you can alter the suspension and still maintain the same towing capability. And I would say the evidence of that is the OP’s picture. You can put on airbags to make it look better, but is your towing capability compromised? If I am going to tow 10000plus pounds, I am going to make sure my tow vehicle is up to the task.

Just my humble opinion.
If air bags and hitch are in spec for tongue weight, then fine. It’s fine it doesn’t seem reasonable to you. He likes the lift, then he has to figure out how to make it work, that is what he asked about.

I’ve been bashed and seen others bashed on here. Yes some of us have less than other’s ideal setups. And some just want to complain about other people’s set ups.

It’s all good, I’ve learned to live with it, I walked away from this site because I didn’t need the headache. I came back because there are many on here that have useful info, and want to help. Me that’s what I want to be, helpful and not throw rocks at ones asking for help.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #37
Logan X

Quote:
If air bags and hitch are in spec for tongue weight, then fine. It’s fine it doesn’t seem reasonable to you. He likes the lift, then he has to figure out how to make it work, that is what he asked about.

I’ve been bashed and seen others bashed on here. Yes some of us have less than other’s ideal setups. And some just want to complain about other people’s set ups.

It’s all good, I’ve learned to live with it, I walked away from this site because I didn’t need the headache. I came back because there are many on here that have useful info, and want to help. Me that’s what I want to be, helpful and not throw rocks at ones asking for help.
Please don’t misunderstand me, I am not trying to bash or throw rocks. The OP asked for help and it seems like everyone who has responded is trying to help. Sometimes being helpful is telling people what they don’t want to hear. I think this site is for discussion. Sometimes when you have a discussion there are different opinions.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #38
Fishsizzle

Nah I’m sorry, I just lost a family friend to lung cancer today and now sitting at the feet of one of my heros as he is suffering in the emergency room waiting for them to come and take him up for an angiogram.

I’m just bummed at what I see. So much cynicism anymore. News, and then comments on news. I’ve seen it here and I don’t get it.

What a privilege to have a place like this to come and talk with ones who have they same passion, that of being free and enjoying the open roads or great outdoors. We could go through life and never find ones that enjoy what we do. It seems like a lot of times people come here looking for help, and end up getting opinions and conjecture along with cynicism, and they never come back. How sad is it that someone humbles themselves and says “ I don’t know the answer to my problem and need help”? But that is exactly what is happening here. People are looking for help, for connections, friendship, whatever and what to they meet?

Do we consider it and honor or privilege that someone is seeking out our advise and knowledge? Or is it “here we go again with another tow question”?

I don’t know the answer I guess. Maybe I’m in a reflective mode today. But I feel what people need is a friend. They need to feel welcomed and that they are valued and belong. This site will die if ones aren’t not made to feel like family. And that would be a shame as there are so many great people here.

Sorry to all for grumpy today, I’m done for a bit.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #39
fjr vfr

Sorry for your loss and troubles.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #40
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Nah I’m sorry, I just lost a family friend to lung cancer today and now sitting at the feet of one of my heros as he is suffering in the emergency room waiting for them to come and take him up for an angiogram.

I’m just bummed at what I see. So much cynicism anymore. News, and then comments on news. I’ve seen it here and I don’t get it.

What a privilege to have a place like this to come and talk with ones who have they same passion, that of being free and enjoying the open roads or great outdoors. We could go through life and never find ones that enjoy what we do. It seems like a lot of times people come here looking for help, and end up getting opinions and conjecture along with cynicism, and they never come back. How sad is it that someone humbles themselves and says “ I don’t know the answer to my problem and need help”? But that is exactly what is happening here. People are looking for help, for connections, friendship, whatever and what to they meet?

Do we consider it and honor or privilege that someone is seeking out our advise and knowledge? Or is it “here we go again with another tow question”?

I don’t know the answer I guess. Maybe I’m in a reflective mode today. But I feel what people need is a friend. They need to feel welcomed and that they are valued and belong. This site will die if ones aren’t not made to feel like family. And that would be a shame as there are so many great people here.

Sorry to all for grumpy today, I’m done for a bit.
This, X2. Well said and thanks for the insight. The mods do try to keep things in check so that this is a place where all are welcome.

Grace and peace for you in your hectic.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Closed Thread