Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

We normally take a day, so you should be able to complete it in a weekend. Feel free to PM me for detailed instructions.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

This is my opinion, I've never met you and have no idea about your mechanical skills nor those of your brother-in-law. Looking at a timeline, it will take a week, maybe more to order and ship the FILON and for it to arrive. You'll need to disassemble the trailer, clean the components, reassemble them, clean the end result, seal it properly, then apply decals.

If there are any trim pieces that might be damaged during disassembly, they would have to be located, ordered, arrive, trimmed to fit and then installed. There will probably be a delays because of that kind of situation.

So, with a "4 week timeline" I wouldn't even consider removing the front cap, knowing that the trailer will be used for an extended trip that soon. Can it be done? Yes, it can. Should it be done? With a full time job, other commitments, the probability of running into issues that delay the finish and the lack of skill in ever doing this type of work, I would strongly suggest leaving it alone until after the trip. Use the time to watch UTube videos and search the internet for topics like "RV rebuild", "Travel trailer skin repair" and similar topics.

As for the dealer, chances are very good that he was (is) totally unaware of the situation and will be surprised when you approach the dealership with your complaint. Going in with vinegar to sling will probably end with you even more angry than now. Calm down, approach the situation with a "reasoned, fact finding approach" and you'll likely get more information and possibly assistance from the dealer. Making them defensive and inducing them to become as angry as you are will only cause problems that lead to your being asked to leave and not return.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
Keystone should step up and fix ones like mine IF they ever want repeat customers
Not trying to be critical or defending Keystone but you would not be a "Repeat customer" if you purchased again. You see Keystone was paid by the dealer,who then was reimbursed by the original owner 11 years ago. If you think about it rationally, why would any manufacturer spend thousands of dollars fixing a 11 yr old product on the possibility that you may or may not purchase their product sometime in the future? Just as with any out of warranty, used purchase the original manufacturer will only make a recall repair that's typically mandated by the feds.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #24
Alpine

Whoa... that would be disappointing to have happen in such a short period of time! Like said earlier in this thread by others, I'm certain the dealer that sold you this trailer was not aware this would happen. Are you of the belief that the dealer was able to "flatten out" the wrinkles you have in your photos and sell it before they reappeared? I really don't even believe that would be possible.

I like the suggestion of JRTJH to rebuild and start enjoying your camping experience.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Comparing "apples to oranges", how many have heard of (or know) someone who bought a 11 year old truck with a busted odometer (no way to tell how far it had travelled) and 3 months after purchase, had a problem with the transmission or engine? How many of them were able to get Ford or GM or Chrysler to "pony up for a new engine" for that truck? Same thing applies here, IMHO....

How to deal with it? First, discuss (civilly) with the dealership, then depending on the outcome of that discussion, either "put a new front cap on it" or "sell it and move on".... There's not much other choice. Keystone, no doubt, will completely deny any responsibility (and rightfully so with a second hand or third hand trailer) and the dealership may or may not accept partial responsibility, depending on their generosity (they likely have an "iron clad" 30 day window for problems). Anything they do is probably going to be a good will gesture, not a legal responsibility. If you bought an extended warranty, look carefully at it for exclusions or possible ways to get your trailer repaired through that policy.

As a comparison, my Cougar is 5 years old, I bought it new, I'm a 2 time Keystone purchaser with a fantastic relationship with my dealer and a personal friendship with a number of his employees. I would never "expect" Keystone to pony up for repairs to my trailer this far out from purchase. Sure, it would be nice, but it's extremely far fetched to expect it. Keystone "honored" their 1 year warranty, the appliance manufacturers "honored" their warranty. That is all expired, now I own it "completely".... Problems and all..... No longer is this a "Keystone responsibility".... Basically, it's similar to the 30 year old, living in Mom's basement.... There comes a time when you've got to be responsible for yourself.... With an 11 year old trailer with cosmetic issues.... I'd suspect that time has expired, and realistically, it expired before the purchase of an 11 year old, used RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #26
Ken / Claudia

I had a Arctic Fox camper made here in Oregon. It was 6 years old and the front did not winkle it delambed. I phoned the factory and took it to them. My cost was 1500 that was 10 years ago. It took a appointment and a week at the factory. Maybe, just maybe the dealer will repair which is replace and not charge the full cost to try and get a repeat/happy customer. Just saying about this happening now, likely never has been stored facing the sun til now.

Jack, I glossed over the fact you purchased the TT this year and is 11 years old. For safety reasons, read the tire code dates. If they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look they can and will ruin your vacation sooner or later. Replace them before the trip. Read some of the stories on the tire posts.

BTY, just today, seen a Cougar TT with same style decals as mine going other direction on the highway, the front had winkles.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #27
jack65

I understand what your all saying, it is not Keystones fault. However, it is the Dealer that I'm mostly talking about. When I got it, there were no bubbles or dents of any kind. Then in three months with only one 2 day camping trip, the front is a mess. I will go down there tomorrow and no I won't be yelling at them either, even though I'm mad now. I'm not stupid. I wouldn't get any help yelling at them or getting nasty. I was venting steam here on this forum. My wife who was all excited about this trailer is the one really upset and disappointed and that is what hurts me more than anything else. If the dealer doesn't help me in any way, then I will give a negative report on BBB and other reviews, and not go back there because this should not be happening to a trailer in three months time, 11 years or not. I will buy elsewhere and probably buy another brand like Forester etc as I won't trust Keystone anymore and will buy new or one year old still on the lot trailer after I fix and sell this one, probably for a loss. I paid $8K for this one. I've seen lots of nice older trailers as I'm out a lot shooting wildlife, nature and mountain pics, and camping along the way. None of those I've seen looked like this one does now.
Rant over!

I will do like some said, wait until our main vacation is over and use that time to review, buy books if I can, watch Youtube and learn how to do this. I have time as I'm semi-retired. I'm photographer that WA State Forest Service buys a lot of my photos and so do many other local clients/stores. I've had five C3 Corvettes over the years and did most of the work on them until I got this Ram truck. This one I did most all the work on it, but it took a few years:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/1977.htm

If any of you can steer me to youtube, online guides, better yet, books on what I need to do, it would be very much appreciated.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #28
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Jack, I glossed over the fact you purchased the TT this year and is 11 years old. For safety reasons, read the tire code dates. If they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look they can and will ruin your vacation sooner or later. Replace them before the trip. Read some of the stories on the tire posts.

BTY, just today, seen a Cougar TT with same style decals as mine going other direction on the highway, the front had winkles.
As part of the deal, Tacoma RV replace all four tires with new ones as the four on there were not looking good. They lowered the asking price $1,000 to $8K that they were firm on for the week I was negotiating, then when we were to look elsewhere, then they dropped the price. That should have been a warning signal something was amiss along with the front and one side decals not looking good at all. At the time I figured it was just sitting in the sun. Why we bought it was the interior looked nearly brand new right down to the toilet. Impressive and my wife loved it. At the time we were more concerned about inside than outside.

I must have looked at 40 different trailers at Alder Lake campgrounds two weeks ago and didn't see any with bubbles or dents. At the time mine had three shallow dents that got much worse in two weeks time. In storage where I parked it the front was facing the sun all day long...
Old 07-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #29
Ken / Claudia

Jack, you did good with getting new tires from the dealer. The spare needs replaced also even if never been on the road. I replaced all 5 on my 2 axle trailer tires a year apart and throwing out never used tires on each was hard but, better than putting on a rotten tire and causing other issues.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:39 AM   #30
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We normally take a day, so you should be able to complete it in a weekend. Feel free to PM me for detailed instructions.
Do you or anyone else know if there is any online instructions or books on how to repair that? If you have have detailed instructions already handy that would be great! This is new territory for me and I want to do it right. I don't want to shell out thousands to have a dealer fix it. Once fixed, I'll probably sell it and get a new or one year old model. BTW, I knew a Chuckster, (not a common name) on www.CorvetteC3.com when I ran that forum for 12 years.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:48 AM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Seems like there is a YouTube video of about everything out there. I’m not aware of any books, but I have done a few. It is a straight forward repair, somewhat labor intensive and you want to have everything on hand. PM me and I will be happy to give you instructions.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #32
jack65

There were several here that said this was a common problem... if so, why don't I see more of it on this forum? I have yet to see one at two campgrounds I've been to that had bubbles on the front of trailer. Believe me, I was looking too. I was also looking at the different rigs too. I was surprised at several 20' plus trailers that were being towed by by smaller rigs that shouldn't be able to tow them, such as a Ford EcoSport, Honda HR-V, Toyota C-HR to name a few. I guess they can be used if they manually shift and keep the rpms high or they just don't know...
Old 07-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

I suppose you could blame Airstream for "under sized tow vehicle use"... They started that thought process way back in the 40's. It's "human nature" to do things "one better"... There's a lot to be said about that old adage: "Oh yeah, well look at mine"......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AIRSTREAM BIKE TOWING.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	17568  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #34
jack65

Now THAT was funny!!!
I wish I could afford a Airstream!
That is my goal for the next trailer I buy.
When we sell our house to downsize, I'll have plenty to spend.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #35
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
I was surprised at several 20' plus trailers that were being towed by by smaller rigs that shouldn't be able to tow them, such as a Ford EcoSport, Honda HR-V, Toyota C-HR to name a few. I guess they can be used if they manually shift and keep the rpms high or they just don't know...
Just because you can pull it doesn't mean that you should pull it. Most of the knock down drag out fights we've had on the forum have been about this very thing.

Do a search for "can I pull" and you'll see what I mean. Dissing a man's truck is comparable to telling him he's got small hands, if you get my drift. Them's fighting words for sure.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #36
Badbart56

Just because you can.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #37
jack65

Quote:
Something bad going on with my2007 18RS Outback trailer!
When we got the trailer back in Feb... everything looked fine, see first two pics.
The about three months later, I notice what was showing three shallow dents at the front top. See pic. Then it slowly got worse and as of today, this is what it looks like... terrible.
What is going on???
Sat in my driveway until we put it in storage two weeks ago...We only took it camping once, last week for two days and it got worse bad the following week.
I put it in storage as I was embarrassed for it to be seen in my driveway, plus we needed more room.
There was no sign of water inside the trailer at any time since we bought it too.
Did I get ripped off by the dealer?
OK, it's been 10 days since I posted this. The bubbles doesn't appear to be much worse since then and it has been warm with no rain, the past two days 90 degrees which is hot for this area. The front is facing the sun all day long.
I posted a pic from the first post ten days ago (second photo) and the next pic (first photo) was taken this afternoon.

I have two vacations coming up soon and won't have time to fix this until September/October. The big questions is, Is this going to be OK for my two trips? Is it just a cosmetic type of thing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0724181534b-web.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	17628  
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

It is a cosmetic issue. As long as there is no water intrusion into the trailer from the roof/front cap union and no intrusion from either of the running lights, you should have no structural damage and you won't make things worse by using the trailer.

I'd say "go have fun on vacation" and deal with it when you return. I'm guessing the Oct/Nov time frame will be wet in the northwest, so have you considered where you're going to park an "undressed front end" for a week or so? You wouldn't want to disassemble the trailer on a "forecasted good weather weekend" and run into an issue which stalls the repair until "something unexpected" can be delivered.... Typically that gets most anyone into trouble, so be sure you have a warm, dry location to do the repair.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #39
jack65

Thanks for the info John! Looks like I'm going camping. I'll worry about fixing it later on. Meanwhile I've been doing a lot of googling ------->

Here is a similar one like mine, same brand, 2008 Keystone Outback, one year difference back in 2010. So they were having Delamination problems not long after they were sold.

https://www.outbackers.com/forums/in...howtopic=28964
Old 07-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #40
jack65

Went back to check on it after two days from the last picture I posted to see if there was any change. YUP It's gotten bigger. Look at both pics you'll see it got bigger, creeping closer to the center of stripes and on the left. It's been in the 90's for several days now and hasn't rained in 2-3 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0724181534-web.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	17688   Click image for larger version

Name:	0726181539a-web.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	17689  

Tags
outback