Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
KHBama

Dixie RV Hitch Install

Well guys I got hustled it seems. We recently bought a 5th wheel and had to get hitch installed. It is a pro series 15k hitch and I had no idea how much they cost or how much the install costs so I just went with the flow. Long story short, the installation and hitch cost me $1700. Decided to do some research and found my hitch on Amazon for $303 and on etrailer for not much more than that. I'm at fault, all on me but still ticks me off knowing how bad the bigger dealerships take advantage of customers. Don't be like me, do your homework before you go shopping. I had no intention of buying a 5th wheel the day I went to look, but hey it happened
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
rhagfo

Dealer price on that hitch is likely about $700, Just checked CW price $311 reg, on sale for $228, dealer must charge $700 an hour for labor, as it is about a two hour job.
I would go back and ask for a justification of the charge.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
KHBama

May have jumped the gun a tad, I forgot I had the slider. That one runs about $500, guess $600/hour is a little bit better
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #4
gearhead

We all understand and most of us have been there. Don't beat yourself up too much.
It's like trying to drink from a firehose. Deciding which model you want, what options, what the dealer can install, extended warranty, interior stain treatment, exterior never wax treatment, etc.
The sales folk know very well what your state of mind is and take advantage of it. I think that's why they usually ask "what RV do you have now?" pretty early in the conversation.
We were looking at Grand Design 5th's last week and I didn't mince any words when the salesman threw out the usual line of BS.
You might go back and tell the salesman how you feel and see if they will do a little extra work...wet bolt kit, or some accessories.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
fatcatzzz

Well chock it up to lessons learned. We all have paid to much for something at one time or another. Don't beat yourself up about it. But like rhagfo said, I would be sure to get an explanation on the charges and express your dismay.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
ike66

I needed just the rail system in my truck so got a quote from CW. $853.00 for the rails and four hours labor. I then asked how much for the rails $150.00 told them to leave the rails at the counter and I will install myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ike66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch