Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
B-O-B'03

Replace the awning with a longer one?

For all you service types out there.

The length of our awning has always bugged me, it is just too short and a lot of the space under it is taken up by the steps.

On the 2015 year model of our trailer the awning arm is between the fridge vent cover and the outdoor kitchen and for the 2016 model year it went all the way to the back, past the opening for the outdoor kitchen.

I am wondering how hard or if it is even possible to extend ours to the back of the trailer?

Would it be as easy as buying longer fabric and tube, move the arm and put it back together, with the same power head?

Thanks,

-Brian
Old 11-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Possible? Anything is possible with enough time and money. You could move the arm, get a new fabric and tube and get busy.

What to do with the holes from the old arm? What is the price of a roller tube with fabric on it?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You may find that it's cheaper to buy a complete new longer awning than it is to buy a longer roller tube and longer fabric.

One "alternative" to use the holes from the old arm location: Many longer awnings (those over 20') have a center arm/support to prevent bouncing and bending during travel and to support the center of the awning when deployed. You might be able to install a center arm, either using the existing holes or in a position where they would be covered by the center support. It may not be "exactly centered" but should be "kinda close"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Center support would help hide the upper mounting holes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
earlzach

Coleman 10x10 easy up? I would not personally want eh original bar neither to stay or be removed at this point. An Easy up will give you more room even in a different configuration rather than straight along the trailer. JMO.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
Coleman 10x10 easy up? I would not personally want eh original bar neither to stay or be removed at this point. An Easy up will give you more room even in a different configuration rather than straight along the trailer. JMO.
I have a 10x10 Coleman Canopy (less than $100 at Wally World) that I bought when we had the Pop-up. The pup had an 11-foot awning and the canopy was a great addition. We've only set it up once since we bought the Cougar this fall but I anticipate that it'll get a lot of use next years with the sun is beating down on us.

The canopies only take about five minutes to set up and take down. I would expect that you could buy a couple canopies for less money and considerably less hassle than trying to alter your awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user23336_pic4974_1508258514.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	14683  

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Possible? Anything is possible with enough time and money. You could move the arm, get a new fabric and tube and get busy.

What to do with the holes from the old arm? What is the price of a roller tube with fabric on it?
Good questions, where would one find the fabric, tube & pricing?

I am sure I could come up with a clever solution for the old mount holes, maybe plant hangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You may find that it's cheaper to buy a complete new longer awning than it is to buy a longer roller tube and longer fabric.

One "alternative" to use the holes from the old arm location: Many longer awnings (those over 20') have a center arm/support to prevent bouncing and bending during travel and to support the center of the awning when deployed. You might be able to install a center arm, either using the existing holes or in a position where they would be covered by the center support. It may not be "exactly centered" but should be "kinda close"....
Where would we be able to buy a complete awning?

The trailer is a 22 foot box, I am thinking 16 feet max for the awning length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
We have an EZ up, but it is not nearly as "EZ" as pushing the button in the trailer and if we do replace the awning, we will still have it.

Maybe we should just live with this one for a few more seasons and buy a newer model, with the larger awning. Other than the awning, we love the trailer and layout.

Thanks for the input everyone, definitely more investigation required!

-Brian
Old 12-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
chartrand

I have the same 22rbpr and have wondered that same question, can I put on a longer awning. I’m very interested to know what you ended up doing and if you did upgrade, how did it go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:55 AM   #9
Tinner12002

I think I'd just buy a 15 or 16 depending on which year awning you like best.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
TyeeMan

Going by the picture of your camper and looking at the awning brackets bolted to the side of the camper, I don't think you have enough solid real estate behind your outside kitchen to bolt the awning bracket to.

If you do and it looks viable, your dealer should be able to get you any awning part you need or even a full awning. Or perhaps the awning manufacturer might sell to you directly. There should be a sticker someplace on your awning assy. with the manufacturers name. A&E, Dometic, etc.
TyeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrand View Post
I have the same 22rbpr and have wondered that same question, can I put on a longer awning. I’m very interested to know what you ended up doing and if you did upgrade, how did it go?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I did some measuring, from the end that would not move, using standard lengths I have seen and I am not sure the end of the new length would fall where I wanted it to.

The current length is ~10' and 14' & 16' would hit the fridge vent area and somewhere in the outdoor kitchen door respectively.

Guess it is going to be more time putting up the EZ-up.

-Brian
Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #12
keyholeelf

I believe awnings are measured from the center to center of the arms/supports if that helps any.
keyholeelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #13
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyholeelf View Post
I believe awnings are measured from the center to center of the arms/supports if that helps any.
Howdy keyholeelf, Thanks for your reply.

Yep, that is what I figured and how I came up with the existing 10 footer.

I think I am going to abandon the awning for now and move on to other projects, like maybe solar.

Thanks for the input everyone.

-Brian

Tags
awning