Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
Gandy Dancer

Winter use

In need of some honest opinion on winter camping.
I have a Montana High Country 370BR.
We plan on camping for a few days with electrical hookups but no water hookup. Will be using on board water tank.
We will be using the furnace and would like opinions on how low the temp would need to be before we might be in danger of water line freeze ups.

Thanks
Gandy Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

My opinion so take it for what it's worth, you should be fine. Leave your cabinet doors open and the furnace on. I'd be more worried about my sewer lines freezing at the valve. I guess it depends on how cold you are go ok nger to camp in. I'd guess that once it starts getting below 25 is when problems accelerate. I'm sure others will chime in soon. There are several on here who are winter campers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
Tinner12002

I'm glad I read this post as it made me realize for some reason, that I had forgotten the open the washer valves in the garage to let antifreeze flow through!!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
CrazyCain

We winter camp pretty much every other weekend herein Michigan, temps below freezing most of the time. Have electric heaters, no water, do not use sewer, bath house available. Keep cabinet doors open, roof vent fan and 2 other small fans going all the time to keep the air moving around. When extreme cold sets in, we have pink insulating foam covering the windows in the dinning area to block the drafts. Hardly any condensation on windows..works well for us. The key for us is keeping the air moving around.. Good luck and enjoy the best sleeping ever!!!

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Typically you should be good down into the teens. I️ believe your high country is tested to 14.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
gearhead

I've been in ours down to the mid teens for several consecutive days. (Tulsa OK. Chili Bowl midget races) I had full hook ups. Before leaving home I put foam pipe insulation on the water lines to the washer, they were on the outside wall above the curbside storage door. Since I had elect hookups I put 2 trouble lights in the storage bay using the outlet there. I think 75 watt bulb in them. Ran them at all times. I ran the fireplace the whole time there. I found a setting on the thermostat where the furnace would kick on occasionally (every 30 minutes?). Also had an electric blanket. I had no issues.
I don't think I would run the roof exhaust fan, maybe just crack a couple windows.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
mikell

we're headed out tomorrow for a few days. 23 Tonight and tomorrow night. Water tank is full and will dump when we get home. Put the pink stuff in the toilet if it gets real cold till we can dump. Snow gets too deep we still camp just without water. I can dump at home so that helps. Next home will get back to indoor storage with full year round hookups. I really miss that.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
We winter camp pretty much every other weekend herein Michigan, temps below freezing most of the time. Have electric heaters, no water, do not use sewer, bath house available. Keep cabinet doors open, roof vent fan and 2 other small fans going all the time to keep the air moving around. When extreme cold sets in, we have pink insulating foam covering the windows in the dinning area to block the drafts. Hardly any condensation on windows..works well for us. The key for us is keeping the air moving around.. Good luck and enjoy the best sleeping ever!!!

Do you run more than 1 electric heater? If so, do you just dedicate circuits?
Old 11-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

The only time I ever did extended winter camping was many years ago in a 25' bumper pull - no slides. I did have a water hookup so did not have water in the fresh water tank. I had to put heater tape on the water hose and eventually had to put heater tape on the propane tanks because they kept freezing. I had no other issues other than that. Temps were in the teens on several occasions and there was no such thing as "heated underbelly". I also ran an electric heater inside with a cracked vent.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
Do you run more than 1 electric heater? If so, do you just dedicate circuits?
Just got back from a weekend trip...Yep 2 heaters, one heater in the front and one in the back. No dedicated circuits..cozy temps around 68 with 23 outside..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #11
mfifield01

We were boondocking this weekend and it made me realize how much the electric heaters help with propane consumption. We went through a 20lb (probably 15lb) propane tank in under two nights. I had to switch over to the second at 5a. The temps were chilly at night. The lows got into the the upper 20s.

Tags
winter