Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
RCrawler

So far, I haven't had any issues with cracking on mine. I run with the bumper extended and have a 4- bike rack mounted on behind that.

I'm going to cut off the thin sheetmetal bumper and replace it with some thicker wall material. And since the spare drags going up the driveway, I'm going to redesign the mount so that it is higher and solidly mounted to the bumper, with no more cute little u-bolts. I really like the toolbox that was mounted and I might do something similar with the slide out rack to get rid of some Rubbermaid containers.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #22
DaleB

RickR,
I have a 2011 CourgerSAB318 and Yes the spare tire bolted from the factory with the bike rack in the extended position can definatly bottom out. I know it happened to me. I was pulling out a parking lot on to a side road after leaving a resturant in Kentucky and was going up a steep grade. That night some 3 hours latter when we stopped for the night I noticed that the tire was hanging on by just the 1 bolt as when the tire bottomed out the bracket bent and actually saved the tire from being damaged. I am now in the process of installing the tire underneath the trailer. I have the frame all welded up and ordered a tire winch from Lippert. It looks great and after I get it painted I will install it. Also I have redone the bike rack and have installed an Aluminum truck tool box that holds all my electrical and water hoses and fittings along with an Outboard motor for my inflatable boat. I am glad I got the spare off of the back because that weighs about 60-70 pounds and that pull out rack is only rated at 200 lbs.

DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #23
Camp I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
RickR,
I have a 2011 CourgerSAB318 and Yes the spare tire bolted from the factory with the bike rack in the extended position can definatly bottom out. I know it happened to me. I was pulling out a parking lot on to a side road after leaving a resturant in Kentucky and was going up a steep grade. That night some 3 hours latter when we stopped for the night I noticed that the tire was hanging on by just the 1 bolt as when the tire bottomed out the bracket bent and actually saved the tire from being damaged. I am now in the process of installing the tire underneath the trailer. I have the frame all welded up and ordered a tire winch from Lippert. It looks great and after I get it painted I will install it. Also I have redone the bike rack and have installed an Aluminum truck tool box that holds all my electrical and water hoses and fittings along with an Outboard motor for my inflatable boat. I am glad I got the spare off of the back because that weighs about 60-70 pounds and that pull out rack is only rated at 200 lbs.
Would love to see some pictures when you're all done of both the box on the rear and the new underbody tire lift.

2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

2006 Chevy Silverado 3500, LT3 CC/LB 4WD SRW LBZ Duramax/Allison Equiped with Curt Q5 20K hitch, Prodigy Brake control, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000, & 100 gallon in-bed fuel tank
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
chuckretnav

Smile 327res and Spare on the Rear

Second camping trip on the way home wife see a Mick D (Mcdonald) that has truck parking. we got in ok no problem. the drive had a dip in it and should of been more observent of how deep the dip was. Coming out did not feel a thing. Got to the home 20 and was checking things before I backed in and both of my spares (yes two) where pulled out to the rear. And almost off the tire racks. That dip got us. Took off the spares and the racks and now carry my spares in the bed of my truck. Next trip was to Texas and one or two the fuel stops I made was glad the spares where in the truck. Had just bare minium clearence on rear bumber to get in and out of the fuel pumps. 327res has a 13 foot over hang from last axle. Big swing and big tail drag. Going to Texas for good this next trip.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #25
ptfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
Anyone out there have a similar rig w/ a pullout bike rack on the back end? The mfg. provided spare tire holder on mine has the 4" cross bar winged out and the single bolt holding the entire wheel/tire. First encounter was on the way up to Wisconsin Dells, WI. Pulled into the site, walked around the rig and here is the spare tire hanging by a single bolt. The 4" cross bar was winged out so it would not keep the tire snug to the verticle bar and where the single bolt was holding whole tire was bent. Tried 2x unsuccessfully with my dealer and talking directly to Keystone to get this covered under warranty. No can do. Supposedly, I either bottomed out the back bumper (which the tire can't hit the ground even if it happened) or I hit something with the tire (which if the case it would be winged backwards and not forwards to fall off. Anyone similar issue?
Yes, we pulled into a campground last night and noticed the spare looked slightly crooked. After examining the tire and entire rack, we realized the wing plate was bent, etc... Sounds exactly like your issue. Our concern was the tire was wobbly and possibly could come loose from road vibration. We secure the tire with some wire we had on board.It seems if you use the bike rack in the extented position at some point it will bottom out. Have you resolved the issue? We are considering ways to resolve. We really like our rv and have been enjoying it.Thanks ptfire
ptfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #26
ptfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
Anyone out there have a similar rig w/ a pullout bike rack on the back end? The mfg. provided spare tire holder on mine has the 4" cross bar winged out and the single bolt holding the entire wheel/tire. First encounter was on the way up to Wisconsin Dells, WI. Pulled into the site, walked around the rig and here is the spare tire hanging by a single bolt. The 4" cross bar was winged out so it would not keep the tire snug to the verticle bar and where the single bolt was holding whole tire was bent. Tried 2x unsuccessfully with my dealer and talking directly to Keystone to get this covered under warranty. No can do. Supposedly, I either bottomed out the back bumper (which the tire can't hit the ground even if it happened) or I hit something with the tire (which if the case it would be winged backwards and not forwards to fall off. Anyone similar issue?
We also have a 327RES and a few days ago discovered that we had the same exact problem, but our tire does hang several inches below the bumper line. We believe that when the bike rack is extended, the extra length that results increases your chance of bottoming out when on uneven ground. In our opinion this is a design flaw. Have you made any progress in resolving this issue? Due to the bracket being bent out, the tire wobbles on the one bolt holding it to the tire rack and that is also a design flaw.

PT Fire
Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
bob5camp5
Permanent User Ban

no problem with bike rack

I have never used my bike rack, so I have never encountered a problem with it. I have had the recall work done to my spare tire mount. My tire now has two bolts holding it and the welds have extra braces. I have no problems. If I ever do extend my bike rack hitch and set a bike or two on it, I will let you know. But, it's working fine now, pretty sure it will be fine with a bike or two, what do bikes weigh? Maybe 50 lbs each? How could this pose a problem. Just my two cents.
bob5camp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
Camp I am

Mine came with the 2 bolts and the thin black metal bracket, but when I looked at it closer I found that both of the bolts were cross threaded bad, so bad that I snapped both off while removing them. So in the first picture you can see that I've replaced the thin metal 'butter' bracket with a more beefy piece of steel (painted yellow). 2nd picture shows the differences in the thickness. I have to buy a longer bolt before I'm road ready as you can see, with the new thicker piece I'm right at the end of the threads. Other than that the welds look not great, but ok, I'll keep an eye on them till I have a chance to do some welding. Oh yes and the cable looking thing is my cable lock so that my tire stays where I left it

2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

2006 Chevy Silverado 3500, LT3 CC/LB 4WD SRW LBZ Duramax/Allison Equiped with Curt Q5 20K hitch, Prodigy Brake control, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000, & 100 gallon in-bed fuel tank
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
ptfire

Bob and Camp,

I am wondering how many inches below the bumper is your spare tire located? If your tire is below the bumper, and your tire hits the pavement, something has to give, and perhaps that is why they put in such a thin wing brace, because the wing brace will bend when the tire moves and save the rim from absorbing the energy and bending. Also, the tire bracket itself bent as well when our tire hit the pavement. The solution, I believe is either raise the tire above the bumper level, or place it in a rack under the unit behind the axle. Lippert sells a product for under the unit.

PTfire
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #30
ptfire

Bob 5,

You mentioned you had recall work done on your tire mount. We called Keystone and asked if there was a recall done for this situation and they said no recall was issued. Who did you speak to about the recall?

PTfire