Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2023, 10:27 PM   #21
Gary R.

As a retired firefighter/EMT, I also feel a bit insulted by that "fire bug" remark. I have fought more than a few gas vehicle fires, and as my brother fireman above mentioned toxic fumes are the main hazard. We always wore SCBA's in those situations. I am sorta glad that we didn't have lithium batteries in cars at the time...
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:14 PM   #22
theboneskes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuctrooper View Post
A Tesla can pull 600kW from its batteries. An RV rarely pulls over 6kW. Even a home backup will rarely pull 10KW. And that is only in spurts - most of the time an RV is under 1kW steady state. I wouldn't sweat the cooling, just give them some air space. I have a lithium bank (just under 5kWh total) and can barely get the batteries warm running the A/C for 30 mins on batteries when boondocking in the heat. The Victron system has a battery temperature probe, and the bank doesn't get more than 5 degrees above ambient when charging or discharging. Lots of nay sayers about Li batteries - I absolutely love my setup and now never have to worry about energy, all thanks to Li (Dakota Li).

Id like to know more if you dont mind sharing? Ive been looking for a inverter/charger from Victron. I was reading where a Tesla module should only get a max of 25.2V, prefer 24.4V... I'm gonna have to find a local Victron dealer.

With your system, I'll assume you have 2 Tesla modules to get to 500ah? How long can you run your AC on them? Any help would be appreciated
theboneskes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 07:53 AM   #23
SDFlip

Tesla Battery

Here is a great source for what you want to do with the Tesla battery.

SDFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 08:05 AM   #24
jayhart

Voltage Conversion

Transformers are used to step AC up or down, not DC. To step DC up one could use an inverter and then a transformer but we’re bordering on “Frankentech.” 24VDC can be reduced to 12VDC by employing a string of heavy-duty diodes, wired in series. Although I know of a few industrial applications for similar circuitry, this is not for the faint of heart. Such diodes can generate a lot of heat that will need to be dissipated safely. Alternatively, there are industrial quality voltage reducing components that would provide the voltage reduction while providing adequate current flow, but would probably cost several times more than a properly-sized 12 volt deep-cycle battery. Unless one were to completely modify the entire RV, appliances, lighting, TVs, etc. to 24VDC, I’d vote for the 12 volt battery or bank of batteries.
jayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:14 AM   #25
notanlines

Has anyone given thought to the dive the rv value would take if OP tried to sell/trade?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:00 AM   #26
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboneskes View Post
I just bought 3 more modules, for a total of 1000AH. Paid $1400 for all 4 modules.
Here’s another YouTube video of a Tesla battery install that incorporates a Victron 24 volt Multiplus that simplifies your desired outcome. As others have stated, some variations of lithium batteries have hazardous properties.

https://youtu.be/WAZtYxe6SVw?si=qPuUYOZnhsPL5Azg
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:41 AM   #27
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuctrooper View Post
Also, for the fire bug crowd - there are an average of 170,000 vehicle fires in the US every year. Yes, some are from electric vehicles, which garner a lot of attention - but gasoline vehicles are more likely to catch fire (I assume you would never drive a gasoline vehicle because of the risk of fire). Statistics here.
Unless the RATE of ICE fires (number of fires divided by number of vehicles in service) is greater than the RATE of EV fires, you are misusing the statistics.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:27 PM   #28
notanlines

https://theconversation.com/electric...0four%20deaths

The article is a little long, but very informative where vehicle fires are concerned, and very up to date.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, outback