Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2023, 07:59 AM   #1
sddale

Buying a Outback 330RL and need hitch advice

New to this forum and this is my first post....

I'm will be buying a Keystone Outback 330RL and would like to get my towing setup prior to the purchase (I may be buying from a private seller). My tow vehicle is a 2015 Ram 3500 single rear wheel drive.

I'm looking at the B&W Continuum hitch, but wondered if anyone in the community has and uses this hitch. Does it fit on the 330RL? Do I buy the standard or underslung hitch? Thanks in advance.

Any other suggestions for a good quality hitch?

Thanks
sddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:35 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

I would get an Equalizer E4 hitch and save your money. Set the ball at 22" from the ground and tilting back about 10 degrees. When you get there set the saddles at the recommended distance and you'll be good to get it home.

once your loaded you can reset the hitch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Chuck is "on the right path" IMO....

The B&W Continuum is a "complex hitch" with a hydraulic pump, composite spring bars and a comment in the description, "When your tongue weight is perfectly balanced, you can achieve sway control without the need for additional sway bars or noisy, friction-inducing brackets." I'd have to ask, does that mean you don't have sway control if you don't spend the time to "perfectly balance your tongue weight" ?????

While it may be a nice hitch, it seems to be marketed as a complex, one size fits all kind of hitch system......

The Equalizer 4 point hitch is a tried and proven reliable system that has been around for a long, long time.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 07:19 PM   #4
sddale

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

I would get an Equalizer E4 hitch and save your money. Set the ball at 22" from the ground and tilting back about 10 degrees.
The reviews I've read talk about how this hitch is noisy. I suppose the noise is coming from the anti sway mechanism. What has been your experience with noise when towing at slow speeds (in your neighborhood or in a campground)?
sddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 08:55 AM   #5
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Steel on steel sway bars under pressure will make noise and is designed to do so as heard by just about every camper before Look at the Husky Centerline hitch if available...adjustments galore and if you don't hear it, it isn't working
Indeed yes, when towing on side streets turning corners at slow speed is when you hear these type hitches the most On the highway when it's silently working controlling sway is when you don't know how much it's really working
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:04 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddale View Post
The reviews I've read talk about how this hitch is noisy. I suppose the noise is coming from the anti sway mechanism. What has been your experience with noise when towing at slow speeds (in your neighborhood or in a campground)?
I tow a fifth wheel so I don’t have that issue. You can get “saddle pads” that reduce the noise.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...bution%20Hitch

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 09:04 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I would highly recommend the Equalizer as well. Used one for years and it works very well. It can be noisy but the noise can be mitigated. When I first started using one you could hear us anytime we came into a campground and started maneuvering around. When I started following the instructions; lubing the ball/head then installed the L bracket jackets you could very rarely hear us. It's the way I'd go.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 01:16 PM   #8
dutchmensport

I also cast my vote for the Equalizer 4 point weight distribution hitch. I went from a Reese old school with a separate friction bar to the Equalizer 4 point and after the initial set up and using a couple times, it was so much easier and worked extremely well. The longest travel trailer I had was 35 feet. The Equalizer 4 point did great! (5 years worth of towing before we went to a fifth wheel).

Tags
hitch, outback