Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #21
DonnieBlitz

Well we stayed at the dealers lot 4 days to get things squared away. Dealer took good care of us. Should the pre- inspection been done right in the first place by thee dealers rep we wouldn't have had to stay. But no one is perfect and they made things right! If you got the 7 year service plan like we did your in good shape if not you better find everything out the first year.
DonnieBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #22
thiswebs4u

Problem #1 with the Onan generator is we are already above 5000 ft, I am in in Bailey, Colorado. The Generator comes with the low altitude carb. I asked about that and they told me it run fine at the factory so it is my problem now. I guess I will get the high altitude card as I am 8200 ft at the house. Camping we are around 10k, I did have it running but have to start it manually. I will try the fan idea, what fans work well?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #23
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieBlitz View Post
Well we stayed at the dealers lot 4 days to get things squared away. Dealer took good care of us. Should the pre- inspection been done right in the first place by thee dealers rep we wouldn't have had to stay. But no one is perfect and they made things right! If you got the 7 year service plan like we did your in good shape if not you better find everything out the first year.
I like the idea knowing the 7 year plan will take care of issues out of warranty. What plane have you got ?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #24
stolly23

So many of these posts popping up with the 2018/19 half ton series 5th wheels. It really makes my blood boil how poorly these things are put together. My brand new 2019 has been to the dealership more times than campgrounds. My dealers service manager has been great getting me in asap. But, jesus, No other camper that I have owned was put together this poorly. After one trip I had trim falling apart everywhere. I get that they take a beating while in tow, but again, my other two went on the same trips and nothing ever falling apart. My windows leaking, outdoor kitchen door gasket leaking, all of my plumbing leaking I don't think I would have found on my walkthrough. But, there were several things that I found when looking at campers with the salesman. Those things were fixed before my walkthrough. No way I would have found out about my ac issues unless I stayed another 4 hours the day I picked it up. No way I would have known that my fridge won't cool on propane unless I stayed another 4 hours. The day I picked up my $45K poorly constructed camper I spent 6 hours there. They were closing as I was walking out the door. I would never have known that my moulding all over the camper would have falling apart after on trip during my walkthrough. Now, I know most of these things will be fixed. BUT, c'mon, there has got to be a way to make Keystone more accountable about the product that they are putting out. And I can guarantee, that in a year or two I will have delamination due to a leak somewhere that I did not pick up on in my walkthrough. Or even worse water damage on the inside worse than I experienced on my first trip. Just venting, never gone through anything like this before, and hearing all of these stories fuels my fire. Hopefully soon I will be able to enjoy this thing without the stress it has caused me over the last 4 weeks.

2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Dually 4x4
2019 Cougar 32BHS 1/2 Ton
stolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:59 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolly23 View Post
So many of these posts popping up with the 2018/19 half ton series 5th wheels. It really makes my blood boil how poorly these things are put together. My brand new 2019 has been to the dealership more times than campgrounds. My dealers service manager has been great getting me in asap. But, jesus, No other camper that I have owned was put together this poorly. After one trip I had trim falling apart everywhere. I get that they take a beating while in tow, but again, my other two went on the same trips and nothing ever falling apart. My windows leaking, outdoor kitchen door gasket leaking, all of my plumbing leaking I don't think I would have found on my walkthrough. But, there were several things that I found when looking at campers with the salesman. Those things were fixed before my walkthrough. No way I would have found out about my ac issues unless I stayed another 4 hours the day I picked it up. No way I would have known that my fridge won't cool on propane unless I stayed another 4 hours. The day I picked up my $45K poorly constructed camper I spent 6 hours there. They were closing as I was walking out the door. I would never have known that my moulding all over the camper would have falling apart after on trip during my walkthrough. Now, I know most of these things will be fixed. BUT, c'mon, there has got to be a way to make Keystone more accountable about the product that they are putting out. And I can guarantee, that in a year or two I will have delamination due to a leak somewhere that I did not pick up on in my walkthrough. Or even worse water damage on the inside worse than I experienced on my first trip. Just venting, never gone through anything like this before, and hearing all of these stories fuels my fire. Hopefully soon I will be able to enjoy this thing without the stress it has caused me over the last 4 weeks.
A few things you might consider:

1. The trailer was towed from Goshen, IN to your dealer's lot, approximately 750 miles before you bought it. If, after one short tow, the molding was falling off the walls, either it's a second time it fell and the dealer had already INCORRECTLY repaired it once or something happened on your "short tow". Either way, whether the dealer repaired it incorrectly or something else happened, it's not "a Keystone did it wrong" problem.

2. If your refrigerator works on 120 VAC but not on propane, the venting/installation has to be correct, so unless there is a problem with the propane plumbing (gas line to the refrigerator), it's a Dometic issue, not a Keystone issue. Either way, the dealer (not Keystone) should have found and repaired the problem before you ever picked up the trailer.

3. Leaks in the roofing, in the windows and in the doors should not happen, however it is a "joint responsibility" between the dealer and the owner to maintain sealant on the joints and the window/door installations. Towing any trailer will cause twisting/bending/vibrations that loosen seals and allow water intrusion. The same windows, doors, roof membrane, moldings and assembly/construction techniques are used by Keystone and all other manufacturers (industry standard). Since they all use the same assembly techniques and components, it becomes a maintenance issue, not a construction issue.

4. If, as you say, "all of the plumbing is leaking", it sure seems that your dealer did not do an adequate PDI before you accepted delivery. While Keystone "should have built it correctly" there is a "SHARED RESPONSIBILTY" in that the dealer was obligated to run water through the system and verify no leaks BEFORE YOU WALKED INTO THE UNIT... Apparently that didn't happen, again, your dealer let you down.

While some problems do occur, to paint "all Keystone RV's" as junk because your $45,000 trailer doesn't meet your expectations, is not an accurate portrayal of the entire picture. There are thousands, tens of thousands of Keystone trailers manufactured every year that are sold to satisfied owners who never return to the dealer for repairs.

Not every Keystone trailer is "junk" and not every owner has your problems. I do hope you get your issues resolved, but from what you've posted, much of the responsibility for your dis-satisfaction rests with your dealer, not with Keystone.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That's a very broad swath to paint when you have a Fuzion and Keystone makes a myriad of brands/models.....most by the way with happy owners. Many of the items you mention should have been found on your walk thru or a PDI. The units are built as they are; everyone knows you need to look at them. As I've said always; look, touch, investigate and be sure and make sure everything works before you buy. If not, it's really not the manufacturers fault. Not defending Keystone, but there are lots of things at play when someone decides to buy an RV, thinks they are getting this or that, doesn't take the time to study up or investigate, everything looks cool and new, genny sounds great etc. When you looked at the trailer and the genny, did you note how it was vented? Just saying a person has to be observant and aware of all the nuances of an RV and what is involved. These things cost some money, but, nothing like a quality S&B house. It IS a huge inconvenience, and can make folks unhappy, but, we all just have to be extremely aware while doing our due diligence. I'm sorry you're having problems, but Keystone is the best selling brand out there so they must be doing something right....including having the best floorplans in existence IMO. YMMV

Not sure what to tell the unhappy owner except many of the parts used in a Keystone are made by vendors and used in all RVs regardless of make.

I am curious as to how an Onan generator could be made safe to operate in a box inside the trailer. I have never had an on-board generator and wonder if I could build a box in a pass through and vent it somehow and make it safe. Doesn't seem like I could. If memory serves (from pictures), the on-board generator sits in a box lined with foil insulation. I have a noisy Champion dual fuel (propane/gas) and if I recall it is 3800W running but that thing has labels on it to keep it 5 feet from anything on the planet except the ground when running.... did I say it was kind of noisy? Has anyone ever retrofitted a non-Onan generator to an RV?

Oh, and OP, sorry for your issues... next time buy a 2002 Cougar and learn the inner secrets of RV maintenance and repair right from the get-go.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #27
tjkarch60

In July 2018, I bought a 2019 Hideout 21FQWE from BYoung RV in Portland, OR. It is a great size and layout for myself (single right now) and the price was $18,000.
It is kind of a bare bones trailer without a slideout or many bells and whistles, but does have a built in vac, gas range and oven, separate fridge and freezer and a lot of counter space in the kitchen and bathroom. I like that there is not a lot to go wrong with it and has a 60gal freshwater and 30lb x2, propane tanks, as I like to dry camp.
The built quality is actually not bad, though you can tell is was built quickly. Maybe my dealer caught all the goofs and I got lucky.
Everything works as it should and I've been doing A LOT of personalization to it.
The biggest so far is adding underbelly insulation and coroplast because this model didn't come with it and it just makes sense to do it. I know without the underbelly being heated, extreme cold could cause problems, but on the coast it rarely dips below freezing for more than a couple of days.
I've also added wiring for reading lights and added backup led floodlights.

In my opinion I would have to say I bought a 90% completed trailer. The factory did the 90% and I get to add my 10% to finish it off like I want.

PS, I sold the queen short mattress for $10 and put in a 10in Zinus memory foam mattress that is stupidly comfortable! Amazon for $248 delivered with tax.
tjkarch60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #28
mcomeaux

I find things with mine and to save the frustration and an advil moment I fix it.
Generally its a lot better quality repair and I'm much happier...
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #29
naswat

I have the same unit but one year newer. No issue with he generator and I live in south Florida. However I discovered some of the same issues you have. The stereo face on the TV was falling out when it was delivered to Florida and the gas pump and hose compartment came completely unscrewed from the body. I looked underneath and it was not even screwed to any mounting area. Rather than have them take it back I fabricated and aluminum brace and re mounted it myself. Now this is the strongest part of the lower skirt. I expected these issues based on my research. Overall I have had pretty good luck with it and for a toy hauler it is build pretty good...They need a fit and finish department before these go out....
naswat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #30
wifi_guy

They simply can’t make these things fast enough. If you guys lookup Bigtruckbigrv’s YouTube post on RV’s he puts a good perspective on them.
wifi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #31
JimMach1

Without being a pain we have had issues with ours as well. That being said this is our 4th 5er we have learned to fix things ourselves. Screws come out fact of life you fix it and move on. Our refrigerator didn’t cool several times found out how to adjust the thermostat in it . I walk around the outside at each stop to check things out. These things are subject to rough roads extreme conditions and the such. I think I’ve stated as well as others too Repair minor issues yourself. We camp with a group at home when not on the road we all get together and help each other out with issues. We also had a propane door that opened itself 4 times in 300 miles what a pain found out factory put latch on backwards turned it around and no issues now. Campers are build by humans and we all error. Just my take on things we have bought 2 new ones and probably will buy another. Cougar being the best thus far.
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #32
42FOUNTAIN

Heat seems to be a major factor in generator issues. My first few trips running 1 AC from Va. to South Carolina went well . Was in May ,OSA at 80 degrees. Towing getting hung in traffic will trip breaker. Had to pull off enclosed cover on Onan last 2 trips only traveling 100 miles to keep breaker on . The Onan needs more outside air from a side source in stead of bottom to bottom recirculating the air. Working on running another vent to compartment. No trips with cover off but compartment gets "hot" .
42FOUNTAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #33
Supershane69

Just got my Fuzion 369 in August and already have a water leak in wardrobe slide and another leak in bathroom next to shower. The ramp door is hard to close and i can see light coming in across the top. trim piece in slide is bent and aluminum trim piece in wardrobe slide is bent. This is my first 5th wheel and I guess I should've done a better walk through on it before I took delivery. Oh ya the frisbee antenna flew off somewhere by Sturgis on the way home.

I guess i should've caught afew of these items but the water leaks and the antenna you cant catch that on a PDI inspection.

I will find out how well Keystone treats me on this warranty cause I'm gonna request all new parts for this. I still have no idea where the water is coming in on the slide or bathroom.

The quality control guys at keystone need to kick there seeing eye dogs cause they are lying to them.
Supershane69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:05 AM   #34
DonnieBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I like the idea knowing the 7 year plan will take care of issues out of warranty. What plane have you got ?
We have a service plan that the Dealer was selling. It is good at any certified repair company for whatever is being repaired. If you want I can look it up. Basically the repair shop calls a 1 800 number to ok the work and all we pay then is 100 dollars.
DonnieBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion, keystone