Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #21
Salt Life

Thanks! Shouldn't leak. The job wasn't too bad. Sealed other areas that needed touching up...
Salt Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Another "must have" addition to the RV tool box is plastic razor blades.... Yes, PLASTIC razor blades. Almost all of us have a razor blade paint scraper that we use with single edge razor blades to clean paint off windows and to scrape "stuff" around the house. Plastic razor blades, (about $5 per 100) are much less prone to damage FILON siding, TPO roofing and fiberglass front caps.

Here's just one place to get them. I keep a pack of 100 in the trailer and a pack of 100 in the pole barn (my workshop).

https://www.amazon.com/TCP-Global-Pl...-1-spons&psc=1

I didn't know these things existed either. DW jumps on me every time I pick up a metal razor blade to do abc....(you'll cut it, you'll scratch it etc.). NOW, I've got the little tool to wave at her and cut that out!!! (yeah, right).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:06 AM   #23
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I didn't know these things existed either. DW jumps on me every time I pick up a metal razor blade to do abc....(you'll cut it, you'll scratch it etc.). NOW, I've got the little tool to wave at her and cut that out!!! [emoji38] (yeah, right).
Pun intended?!?[emoji2960]

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:43 AM   #24
Roscommon48

can't you just replace to cap and not the whole body?
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #25
Salt Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
can't you just replace to cap and not the whole body?
You can, did that on the other vent. This one I drove the snow shovel into the body and busted it up...
Old 06-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Life View Post
You can, did that on the other vent. This one I drove the snow shovel into the body and busted it up...
This is an observation, not a criticism, but if you were using a snow shovel on the roof with enough force to break a plastic vent pipe, I'd be for very carefully inspecting the ENTIRE roof membrane. TPO sheeting is every soft when warm and brittle when frozen. You may not find any damage in "hidden corners of the roof" but then again, it's much better to find a "sliced membrane where it folds over the edge of the roof" BEFORE the OSB rot makes the roof decking "spongy" rather than in a year or two when the cupboards on that side "have a musty smell when closed up for a long time"....

YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #27
Salt Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is an observation, not a criticism, but if you were using a snow shovel on the roof with enough force to break a plastic vent pipe, I'd be for very carefully inspecting the ENTIRE roof membrane. TPO sheeting is every soft when warm and brittle when frozen. You may not find any damage in "hidden corners of the roof" but then again, it's much better to find a "sliced membrane where it folds over the edge of the roof" BEFORE the OSB rot makes the roof decking "spongy" rather than in a year or two when the cupboards on that side "have a musty smell when closed up for a long time"....

YMMV
There was about 1.5ft if snow on the roof at the time. So I didn't scrape the roof. The vents were extremely brittle from the sun. When I tossed the old vent off the roof, it shattered upon impact... I checked the membrane, it's fine....
Old 06-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #28
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Life View Post
There was about 1.5ft if snow on the roof at the time. So I didn't scrape the roof. The vents were extremely brittle from the sun. When I tossed the old vent off the roof, it shattered upon impact... I checked the membrane, it's fine....
Good to hear. Curious eyes wanted to know. Sorry for the mixed metaphor.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #29
LewisB

For others facing this situation, as long as the vent pipe is not broken you can purchase a replacement cap for less than $5. Use a little repair putty for any repairs needed around the pipe, then pop one of these little spring loaded caps in place. Spend the rest of your day enjoying the shade and a cold drink! From personal experience, these work great!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camco Plumbing Vent Cap.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	22471
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #30
BadmanRick

When you change the vent cap do yourself a favor and install a Syphon 360 best money you can spend.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
For others facing this situation, as long as the vent pipe is not broken you can purchase a replacement cap for less than $5. Use a little repair putty for any repairs needed around the pipe, then pop one of these little spring loaded caps in place. Spend the rest of your day enjoying the shade and a cold drink! From personal experience, these work great!
Attachment 22471
There are several brands of "spring vent caps" on the market. Some have a built in ridge that automatically maintains a space between the cap and the vent pipe. Some don't have that ridge... So, depending on which ones you buy, you may find that during towing, the cap "vibrates down the pipe" and effectively closes the vent, making the only way for the tank to breathe is through the toilet..... Make sure the vent caps you buy won't slide down the pipe and act as a stopper !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #32
Salt Life

If a person busts up the base of the vent like I did, imo you should still replace the base and top. The black pipe is by no means a tight fit. There was a big gap around mine. That would have to be filled in and the screw holes. It wouldn't look very good. Replace the whole assembly instead of cutting corners. If only the cap needs replacing, then by all means just replace the cap..
Old 06-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #33
Harried Harry

I purchased a set of plastic chisels of different sizes from Harbor Freight. If you don't have one close by, you can order on-line. I'm sure other places on Amazon will have them too. Great to use when working on RVs cause the handles are very nice to your hand.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, vent