Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #121
mazboy

Has anyone noticed that this thread is nearly 10 months old?????

Someone may want to start a new thread regarding tires.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #122
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post

Age discrimination???? An "elderly thread is just as welcome as a newborn thread" That said, the vast majority of the posts are continuations of the OP, so with the exception of the blinker fluid detour, it's still relevant and on target.... Why start something new? Continuity with us old farts (no I didn't say constipation) and old threads makes life easier.....

Now, back to our regular scheduled programming......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #123
travelin texans

Another couple months of this discussion & some of us will have worn out a set of rv tires, can anyone recommend a good brand??? LOL!
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #124
chuckster57
Site Team

Well mine have “aged out”, less than 5,000 miles on them in 6 years. No blowouts, should I chance the same brand?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #125
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Age discrimination???? An "elderly thread is just as welcome as a newborn thread" That said, the vast majority of the posts are continuations of the OP, so with the exception of the blinker fluid detour, it's still relevant and on target.... Why start something new? Continuity with us old farts (no I didn't say constipation) and old threads makes life easier.....

Now, back to our regular scheduled programming......
Whew!! When I read this post on the first pass I thought you had addressed "continence" for old folks......a very "slippery" road to go down Now constipation and blinker fluid....seems "normal".
Old 09-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #126
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post

We need to keep this thread going until we get the name of that dead horse that's being beaten!
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 09-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #127
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
Google is your friend.

How Long Do Tires Last?
The average life of a tire is determined by the conditions a tire is exposed to throughout its life - not measured in calendar years. Temperature changes, sun exposure, storage conditions, usage, and maintenance schedules all contribute to the rate at which a tire ages.

It is impossible to determine a tire’s exact life expectancy, because there is no way to account for the level of influence any one of these factors may have on a tire. However, you can defer to the vehicle and tire manufacturers replacement recommendations:

Vehicle manufacturers recommend tire replacement at 6 years

Tire manufacturers' warranties expire at 6 years

Tire manufacturers recommend replacement at 10 years, regardless of tread depth

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-aging

https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/he...new-tires.html

BRMA members include manufacturers of tires, tire related products, and other rubber and polymer based products in the United Kingdom. The BRMA “strongly recommends” that previously unused tires not be used if they are more than 6 years old and that all tires be replaced 10 years from the date of their manufacture.

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/tire-...ry?id=23686666

Remember I said "10 years seems to be the LONG service recommendation for passenger and LT truck tires."

Snoking, out of curiousity I'm wondering; what do you have against ST tires across the board; what is your fascination with LT tires; why do you try to goad CW who has tried to provide so much information and insight to this forum; why do you seem to troll CW across forums; what is the detailed validation for your seeming "expertise" on tires? CW has provided that. And here's a thought on your response to one of my posts: having a 106 mph rating on a tire, when driven at a slower speed (65mph?), then raises the tires weight rating (my question). Your response is that heat is a tire killer and reducing the speed then reduces the heat.....maybe. But, what happened to the weight carrying ability of the tire originally questioned? HOW does slowing down then increase a tires built in, certified, "weight carrying ability"? It doesn't. Just curious.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #128
Badbart56

Just a question: Why do the ST tires not come with a warranty?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Old 09-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #129
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
They do.. at least all the ones I've met..
Old 09-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #130
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs...rranty_610.pdf
Old 09-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #131
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Snoking, out of curiousity I'm wondering; what do you have against ST tires across the board; what is your fascination with LT tires; why do you try to goad CW who has tried to provide so much information and insight to this forum; why do you seem to troll CW across forums; what is the detailed validation for your seeming "expertise" on tires? CW has provided that. And here's a thought on your response to one of my posts: having a 106 mph rating on a tire, when driven at a slower speed (65mph?), then raises the tires weight rating (my question). Your response is that heat is a tire killer and reducing the speed then reduces the heat.....maybe. But, what happened to the weight carrying ability of the tire originally questioned? HOW does slowing down then increase a tires built in, certified, "weight carrying ability"? It doesn't. Just curious.
Sourdough, you got lost in the post it was I that stated because my LT’s are speed rated for 3,042# at 106 mph with the heat created at that speed, then they can easily carry 3,042# at 70!
I think with Chris and I why you guys stick with ST Maypops, China Bombs , Blow Kong’s.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 09-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #132
Local150

I recently bought a different 5er and immediately took it to my tire dealer and got 4 new tires. My 1st 5er I had a total of 3 blowouts ,and as you all know they cause some damage. Anyway told him I wanted some very good tires,, he recommended a tire by the name of Trailer King, and proposed we use nitrogen rather than air. He said not a lot of advantage with nitrogen but there was some. All 3 blowouts I had was when air temperature was around 100. The new trailer ki g tires were made in china,, ugh. Has anyone heard of these ? Would like your opinions on the tires and the nitrogen
Old 09-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #133
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
.... The new trailer ki g tires were made in china,, ugh. Has anyone heard of these ? Would like your opinions on the tires and the nitrogen
Check the name on the tires I've been posting for the last year. These are the Trailer King tires that were on my Cougar. No way to inspect them without dismounting them from the rim. The tread is separating from the tire carcass and there's no way to know it until it goes BOOM !!!!!

As for nitrogen, the air you breathe, same as the air in your compressor is 78% nitrogen. Unless you're going to tow at 200 MPH or at 30,000', there's not a lot of "extra protection" by adding the other 22% nitrogen. Some will argue, most don't think it's beneficial. My new flatbed aluminum trailer came with nitrogen filled tires. The valve stems have green caps. Although they are supposed to hold pressure better than "normal air filled tires" in the 6 months I've owned it, I've added "real air" to the tires 4 times. That's both tires, so I don't suspect a slow leak in one tire, although I suppose anything is possible...

Anyway, here's a few photos of those "trailer king tires" your dealer is telling you are so great..... Yeah, Right !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	18472   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	18473   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	18474   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	18475  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #134
Snoking

Quote:
I recently bought a different 5er and immediately took it to my tire dealer and got 4 new tires. My 1st 5er I had a total of 3 blowouts ,and as you all know they cause some damage. Anyway told him I wanted some very good tires,, he recommended a tire by the name of Trailer King, and proposed we use nitrogen rather than air. He said not a lot of advantage with nitrogen but there was some. All 3 blowouts I had was when air temperature was around 100. The new trailer ki g tires were made in china,, ugh. Has anyone heard of these ? Would like your opinions on the tires and the nitrogen
You did not provide info on the trailer and tire rating, what tire you had and what size and load range of old and new tires. However if you traded one china bomb ST for another then, you would have been much better off with GY Endurance's, Provider's or Maxxis. Your tire dealer sold you what he had in stock, because you are doing your research after the fact instead of ahead of the purchase. Standard operating procedure for a lot of tire dealers. I can bet he said we do not have problems with these tires. Chris

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/trail...adial-reviews/
Old 09-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #135
Local150

You are correct on all counts
Old 09-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #136
Local150

How many miles and how old were these tires that went bad 4 you
Old 09-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #137
Local150

Just curious how old and or how many miles did you have on these until you had a rolling bomb. I appreciate the honesty, but am now feeling somewhat I'll. I usually run about 70,, so when one explodes by the time you get her stopped,, damage damage !
Old 09-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #138
Snoking

Quote:
You are correct on all counts
Take the trailer back to him and ask him to replace them with Goodyear Endurance tires. Chris
Old 09-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #139
Snoking

Quote:
Just curious how old and or how many miles did you have on these until you had a rolling bomb. I appreciate the honesty, but am now feeling somewhat I'll. I usually run about 70,, so when one explodes by the time you get her stopped,, damage damage !
Again providing more info would be helpful or fill out a signature that shows trailer info. Trailer King does make LRF and LRG tires. What size and load range are the new Trailer King tires?

Chris
Old 09-09-2018, 04:16 AM   #140
Laredo Tugger

A simple dose of of common sense here.
Yesterday I talked to the owner of a big rig tractor that is sometimes parked where I store my 5er. He does long haul deliveries all over the eastern U.S. He said that on the road he see's a lot of RVs on the roadside with tire problems.
That got my attention and pretty much backs everything written here so far.
Happy trails............
RMc
Closed Thread

Tags
tires