Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #1
jlouis24

Our First RV Trip did not go as planned

So, I thought my first trip out would be a piece of cake with very few hiccups. Boy was I wrong on all fronts and it was a very humbling experience. I realized how much I did not know from the very beginning.
I arrived with the wife early to hook up the 2 batteries and “surprise” no power. I checked everything, changed fuses nothing worked. Sigh, now how am I going to get this attached and the stabilizer up with no power. It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to manually crank it up and get it attached. Ok so now we are on the road and I will get to problem #2 in a sec. We also removed the sway bars and forgot to put the emergency brake clamp back on. We drove 100 miles from Rochester to Syracuse like that and when I stopped at the Camping World service desk they gave me an earful. They replaced the fuses behind the panel. What fuses behind the panel? They removed the panel to show me (feeling like an idiot now).
What else could go wrong, just wait we were scheduled to be at Cayuga State Park except we drove 25 miles past it as the signs were removed due to asphalt resurfacing. My Google Map was completely lost. We turned around and drove back until I heard a beep. Crap we are on E-low gas. I was so focused on getting to my destination I forgot to re-fill the tank. We made it to the gas station on fumes.
Now things are looking upbeat, we check in at the desk and go to the pull-in campsite 816. Not an issue as I called ahead to make sure it was ok due to all the rain a couple days before. Well, that was a mistake, I pulled around went 30 feet and sunk in the mud. Truck is going sideways with the 32 ft trailer sinking just as fast. I immediately called Good Sam and AAA to see who could get there first. AAA would be there in 15 mins. He wrenched us out sideways in neutral and then we found out it was his 3rd response to that campsite in 5 hours for the same issue.
We went back to the desk and told them what happened, he said go find another site and here is the ones that are taken. Seriously, we have to scavenger hunt for a dry site!!! We finally found something level but I refused to pull in as I saw the previous tire marks from someone else stuck in the mud. I pulled off to the side and parked on the edge of the grass and asphalt. I did not extend the slider we camped as is.
Moral of the story, you don’t know what you don’t know and Murphy’s Law does exist.
I included pictures so you could see how deep that mud was on the vehicle in my picture folder
jlouis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I hate to hear of the "misadventures". I know you were looking forward to a great time.

I don't know how everyone else does it but I have the trailer completely checked out, batteries charged, fridge cold etc. before I get there to hook up. I suspect that's not possible in some cases but waiting until the last minute can drop some surprises on you. I learned that trying to jump off for deer hunting trips a 4 in the morning and THEN finding all the things I should have found in the days prior.

Booking places/sites you have never been to can be "enlightening" sometimes. Some places will tell you anything and many times it ain't what you're getting. If there's been lots of raining/flooding and you are staying at a place that has dirt sites - be careful. Walk the site and note the ground remembering you are about to drive tires repeatedly over it carrying 8,10,12 thousand pounds - if wet, it will sink. Also keep the weather in mind even if it hasn't been raining. I've been put into sites that became a literal swamp once the rains came and wouldn't let up.

As you said, it's a learning thing, and it will be that way until the day we die. Luckily you didn't incur any physical damage to the rv, truck or folks. You just learned a lot that will surely help you in the future so I would say, don't worry about it, get the rig cleaned up, packed and get all hyped up for the next outing - I hope it goes stupendously!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Mud can certainly be a big problem with the RV attached. Last Elk season I was a long ways from anyone. I left the gravel road to a dirt which became mud. Okay it was still doable until the road went under water. I stopped and found the TT was almost up the the wheels in mud. I backed up spinning the truck tires and it was sideways. For several hundred yards, it was slow going but I made it back out. Just lucky the road was nearly level. The only other thing to do was wait until someone came by or walk for help.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
LHaven

One thing I would do is visit your choice of online park review sites, plus Yelp, and give Cayuga a big thumbs down. What they put you through was unconscionable, and the only way things will get better (if at all) is by glaringly public feedback.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Canonman

The first time I was able to set up camp in the daylight I practically didn't know what to do. Every time prior to that it was either dark or raining or both You seemed to handle all the foibles and pitfalls really well and proved to yourself and family you can handle whatever life throws at you. Well Done Sir!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1185.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	22426  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
One thing I would do is visit your choice of online park review sites, plus Yelp, and give Cayuga a big thumbs down. What they put you through was unconscionable, and the only way things will get better (if at all) is by glaringly public feedback.
I would do exactly that plus expect a refund for what was spent for the tow truck & the nightly park fee.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I would do exactly that plus expect a refund for what was spent for the tow truck & the nightly park fee.
I was in a different mindset in my previous post. Danny is right. A park that sends you into a site like that knowing (hopefully) what is required for proper set up, and knowing it is inadequate, should absolutely refund your money and reimburse you for sending you into a quagmire.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
Huntme

Yep a refund is in order and a cold beer to boot.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:11 AM   #9
jlouis24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I hate to hear of the "misadventures". I know you were looking forward to a great time.

I don't know how everyone else does it but I have the trailer completely checked out, batteries charged, fridge cold etc. before I get there to hook up. I suspect that's not possible in some cases but waiting until the last minute can drop some surprises on you. I learned that trying to jump off for deer hunting trips a 4 in the morning and THEN finding all the things I should have found in the days prior.

Booking places/sites you have never been to can be "enlightening" sometimes. Some places will tell you anything and many times it ain't what you're getting. If there's been lots of raining/flooding and you are staying at a place that has dirt sites - be careful. Walk the site and note the ground remembering you are about to drive tires repeatedly over it carrying 8,10,12 thousand pounds - if wet, it will sink. Also keep the weather in mind even if it hasn't been raining. I've been put into sites that became a literal swamp once the rains came and wouldn't let up.

As you said, it's a learning thing, and it will be that way until the day we die. Luckily you didn't incur any physical damage to the rv, truck or folks. You just learned a lot that will surely help you in the future so I would say, don't worry about it, get the rig cleaned up, packed and get all hyped up for the next outing - I hope it goes stupendously!!
Thank you for your words of wisdom. It was interesting to say the least and it tested us but we survived and have planned our next trip for the week of the 4th.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:13 AM   #10
jlouis24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Mud can certainly be a big problem with the RV attached. Last Elk season I was a long ways from anyone. I left the gravel road to a dirt which became mud. Okay it was still doable until the road went under water. I stopped and found the TT was almost up the the wheels in mud. I backed up spinning the truck tires and it was sideways. For several hundred yards, it was slow going but I made it back out. Just lucky the road was nearly level. The only other thing to do was wait until someone came by or walk for help.
We thought we would be ok as there were a couple trailers parked across from us. Hmmm, that should have been the hint there was no one on our side (lol).
Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 AM   #11
jlouis24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntme View Post
Yep a refund is in order and a cold beer to boot.
When i left the park, I left them with a few words of wisdom and promptly went looking for the nearest gas station to purchase beer and wine.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:16 AM   #12
jlouis24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
The first time I was able to set up camp in the daylight I practically didn't know what to do. Every time prior to that it was either dark or raining or both You seemed to handle all the foibles and pitfalls really well and proved to yourself and family you can handle whatever life throws at you. Well Done Sir!!
Thanks, we are going out again with the entire family plus 4 tents on the 4th. Hopefully no issues but this time we are prepared.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:54 AM   #13
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlouis24 View Post
So, I thought my first trip out would be a piece of cake with very few hiccups. ...
Don't feel too bad. I took my trailer to a local shop (run out of a fellow's house in a rural part of town) for a bearing repack; he told me to pull over on the grass in front of his house as his driveway was full up. Big mistake - the yard was waterlogged and I got stuck. I couldn't even get the TV out of the muck after decoupling from the TT. It took his 4WD to pull me free; he had to let the yard dry before he could move the TT. At least you didn't have to wait for that!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
BulletOwner1

One thing I've learned (one of many things you learn) is that the pictures on the campground web site are when the park was new. Be that last year or 20 years ago!

Reading reviews, RV park or otherwise, I always throw out the highest (probably inserted by the park owner) and the lowest (inserted by someone with a permanent burr up there you know what) and go from there. And then hope for the best..........

Without a doubt, RV'ing is a learning experience. Good luck in your future travels.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #15
DarkElf

So sorry to hear of your bad experience Jlouis24. As some have pointed out though it was not pleasant, you will never forget it and you learned some valuable lessons.
I agree that you should have been given a refund.

Hey ... if you ever want to venture over to my little home state of NH, reserve a water front site at Terrace Pines campground in Center Ossipee.
Google satellite makes the water look like mud but I assure you, it is crystal clear because the big lake that feeds into the small one is spring fed.
All the water front sites are pretty level and they are packed sand so you will not have a mud issue.
There are not a huge number of water sites - only about ten I would guess - but each has its own water access where you can park your kayak or canoe. They all have fire rings. They very nice.
The only downside is some can be tricky backing onto if you are inexperienced with backing your camper.
I wish you many happy camping days ahead. I've done it since the early 80's and love it.
Enjoy the journey no matter where it takes you. :-)
Happy trails.
DarkElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #16
mpellet723

Terrace Pines is on our list for next season we ran out of dates this season.
We went there years ago when the kids were small.
mpellet723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #17
greenpotato

sorry to hear abt ur misadventures and thanks for sharing.
mud is annoying!
i do hope u get ur refund!
greenpotato is offline   Reply With Quote